Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rebuilding Ireland home loan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Laurazal

Hi all,
    Those who are buying/bought a NEW BUILD, in adddion to valuation report, did you need a structural survey done for RI? I am finding conflicting information online, whether a snag list is enough or a full survey is required?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tumbleweed2

Laurazal wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Those who are buying/bought a NEW BUILD, in adddion to valuation report, did you need a structural survey done for RI? I am finding conflicting information online, whether a snag list is enough or a full survey is required?
    Thanks

I had to provide a surveyor report on my new build. I also have to provide a copy of the Home bond guarantee and a copy of the surveyors insurance policy, showing they had cover of the minimum amount of €250,000.
    Also they surveyor report must have a clear, unobstructed view of the house in full colour. I didn't get a snag list, luckily enough the house was structurally and cosmetically fine, and none needed to be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭coolio83

Hi, anyone with dependents? Did you notice a big variation from the online calculator (doesn't give an option to input dependents), to the actual amount approved in principle? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kbman

coolio83 wrote: »
    Hi, anyone with dependents? Did you notice a big variation from the online calculator (doesn't give an option to input dependents), to the actual amount approved in principle? Thanks

We have one child and it didn't make a difference, we got 2 euros less than the calculator suggested, we were applying through wicklow. Full approval came through and should be with our lawyer this week.

The sooner you get your application in the better

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kbman

I had to provide a surveyor report on my new build. I also have to provide a copy of the Home bond guarantee and a copy of the surveyors insurance policy, showing they had cover of the minimum amount of €250,000.
    Also they surveyor report must have a clear, unobstructed view of the house in full colour. I didn't get a snag list, luckily enough the house was structurally and cosmetically fine, and none needed to be provided.

Good to know that, our one isn't built yet but is a new build, all I know is that we don't need it now as the house isn't built, just curious which Co. Co you're applying through?

• Advertisement

kbman wrote: »
    Good to know that, our one isn't built yet but is a new build, all I know is that we don't need it now as the house isn't built, just curious which Co. Co you're applying through?

Hey!

Sunny Wexico (Wexford).
    My house is a new build but is all ready. It might be something you need to provide at a later date, I'm not sure of the self build or pre completion build process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SLK85

Laurazal wrote: »
    Hi, may I ask if you, by any chance, are buying through Meath County Council's LIHAF scheme - reduced cost housing???
    No the rebuilding Ireland with Meath coco

Still waiting for update from the mpi - this scheme is sucking the life out of me

• Site Banned Posts: 135 ✭✭Sloppy_Joe

How long does approval last?

Sloppy_Joe wrote: »
    How long does approval last?

I think it's 3 months from official approval letter.

I think it's 3 months from official approval letter.

So what are the steps I'd need to do? I have no idea on process of buying.

• Advertisement

So what are the steps I'd need to do? I have no idea on process of buying.

http://rebuildingirelandhomeloan.ie/apply/

I'm not sure of where exactly you are at in terms of the process so I'll just start from the very beginning.
    First thing i'd do is contact the county council mortgage department of the area you are looking to live ( You may apply at multiple counties, but you need to send original documents to each one). Some councils do the process in different ways, mortgage meeting prior to application, to inform you of the product, some tell you to fill out the form and then wait to be approved before they meet you.

Fill out the form on available at the link above. Send all your documents and your application form out to the council mortgage department. Decision times seem to vary from county to county, I think an average seems to be 6 - 8 weeks, but there have been some as extreme as 6 months I've read here previously.

Once approved (all going well) you will have sanction in principle, basically you've been approved for X amount, which can be a maximum of 90% of the house value you are looking to buy ( if you are a first time buy, if not it can be a max of 80%).

You find a house that you like, you discuss with the vendor buying it, and give a booking deposit (normally refundable) for them to hold the property for you, this figure is normally between €6k - €10k or a flat 5% of purchase price.

You then meet the council, with additional documents, valuation, surveyor report etc and they confirm that the house is within policy, i.e the mortgage is only 90% of value/purchase price and that you have the remaining funds to make up the difference in the form of a deposit.

They review the documents and if satisfied they will offer you mortgage approval specific to the house in question. You will have to fill out an a form to join the councils group mortgage protection insurance scheme, if for any reason a queries arises from this you will need to do a tele interview about your health with one of their medical staff. You will also need to get home insurance.

So you have mortgage approval, been cleared to join the MPI scheme. Next up snaglist and paying the rest deposit. Once this has all been addressed then your solicitor calls for the issuing of the cheque, which takes 5 days to clear and they will transfer to the vendor.

Last stage. Get your key.
    I know its listed there simply enough but be warned, it's long winded and can get stressful, there is a lot of people involved and there will be setbacks. You just need to push through all that and think of your home at the end of it all.
    Any questions on it just ask.
    Best of luck :)

I'm not sure of where exactly you are at in terms of the process so I'll just start from the very beginning.
    First thing i'd do is contact the county council mortgage department of the area you are looking to live ( You may apply at multiple counties, but you need to send original documents to each one). Some councils do the process in different ways, mortgage meeting prior to application, to inform you of the product, some tell you to fill out the form and then wait to be approved before they meet you.

Fill out the form on available at the link above. Send all your documents and your application form out to the council mortgage department. Decision times seem to vary from county to county, I think an average seems to be 6 - 8 weeks, but there have been some as extreme as 6 months I've read here previously.

Once approved (all going well) you will have sanction in principle, basically you've been approved for X amount, which can be a maximum of 90% of the house value you are looking to buy ( if you are a first time buy, if not it can be a max of 80%).

You find a house that you like, you discuss with the vendor buying it, and give a booking deposit (normally refundable) for them to hold the property for you, this figure is normally between €6k - €10k or a flat 5% of purchase price.

You then meet the council, with additional documents, valuation, surveyor report etc and they confirm that the house is within policy, i.e the mortgage is only 90% of value/purchase price and that you have the remaining funds to make up the difference in the form of a deposit.

They review the documents and if satisfied they will offer you mortgage approval specific to the house in question. You will have to fill out an a form to join the councils group mortgage protection insurance scheme, if for any reason a queries arises from this you will need to do a tele interview about your health with one of their medical staff. You will also need to get home insurance.

So you have mortgage approval, been cleared to join the MPI scheme. Next up snaglist and paying the rest deposit. Once this has all been addressed then your solicitor calls for the issuing of the cheque, which takes 5 days to clear and they will transfer to the vendor.

I know its listed there simply enough but be warned, it's long winded and can get stressful, there is a lot of people involved and there will be setbacks. You just need to push through all that and think of your home at the end of it all.

Cheers mate. This is amazing.

Question - you say they check the value has to be 90% of the value of the house max...this means I can use more of my money towards value of the house right?

So my situation is I have 70k+. Max I can borrow on RBI is ~180k.

Max mortgage I'd get from bank is ~40k x 3.5 = 150k.

Also, is there a chance RBI will reject my application because I have a sizeable lump in my bank account?

So my situation is I have 70k+. Max I can borrow on RBI is ~180k.

Max mortgage I'd get from bank is ~40k x 3.5 = 150k.

No worries, glad to be able to advise, I went in blind and it was horrific trying to figure it out.

So from what I gather, RBI is actually calculated off your net monthly income not gross annual salary.
    So based roughly on the figures you offered and putting them into RBI calculator http://rebuildingirelandhomeloan.ie/calculator/ :
    If you are earning 40k as a single, with no other monthly commitments over a 30 year term on fixed 2.25% interest rate you could apply for a max of €200k in Dublin.

RBI dont really mind too much about equity, realistically more you are putting in the better. A requirement to avail of applying for RBI is to have 2 declines from banks for mortgage or 2 approvals from a bank for a lesser amount being sought. If after your self funding your RBI offer is equal or less than the banks maximum offer, you are obligated to avail of bank funding and deemed no longer eligible for RBI.

eg Bank X approved you for €150k, RBI approves you for €200k, you decide to put your whole €70k into the purchase and it brings your mortgage requirement down to around €140k - RBI is then not available to you and you must use bank X to fund your purchase, as they are offering you a sufficient amount to make the purchase.
    Also, is there a chance RBI will reject my application because I have a sizeable lump in my bank account?
    Question - you say they check the value has to be 90% of the value of the house max...this means I can use more of my money towards value of the house right?

In terms of these, bank balance should not be an issue, you need to prove you have a deposit (min 10%). The mortgage amount you get approved for doesn't have to be 90% of the purchase. Based on figures above again, if you get approved for €200k, you could still buy a house for €270k - so you still need RBI funding as bank offer is insufficient and you are just going to have a loan to value of 74% which in my financial advisory experience is a positive for a lender.

Also note there is a cap on the maximum amount that can be borrowed. They are €288,000 (max house value of €320,000) in the counties Cork, Dublin, Galway, Kildare, Louth, Meath and Wicklow and no more than €225,000 (Max house value of €250,000) in the rest of the country.

Hope this is clear. If not pop me a reply.

Thanks again!!! :)
    A requirement to avail of applying for RBI is to have 2 declines from banks for mortgage or 2 approvals from a bank for a lesser amount being sought. If after your self funding your RBI offer is equal or less than the banks maximum offer, you are obligated to avail of bank funding and deemed no longer eligible for RBI.

eg Bank X approved you for €150k, RBI approves you for €200k, you decide to put your whole €70k into the purchase and it brings your mortgage requirement down to around €140k - RBI is then not available to you and you must use bank X to fund your purchase, as they are offering you a sufficient amount to make the purchase.

I have never applied to a bank. How does it work? Do I go "will you give me 190k" or do I go "what's the max you will give me?"

I saw someone say an online calculator is good enough to prove as rejection.

Thanks again!!! :)

I have never applied to a bank. How does it work?

I saw someone say an online calculator is good enough to prove as rejection.

Go to your bank, and have an over the phone mortgage consultation, they will tell you the max you can get, I believe AIB can do same day sanction in principle letters if you are an AIB customer. Then go to a bank that you arent a customer with and go through the same process, this may take a few days to proceed as they will need to go through the process.
    Personally, I had two letters of approval with insufficient offers, so it was fine. I know people that didn't want to wait and went straight in looking for higher amounts c.€200k and were issued decline letters same day for not meeting central bank of Ireland mortgage guidelines. So your call.

Bare in mind also, come January, Central Bank of Ireland, will be issuing Banks with their discretionary exceptions to their guidelines for 2020. i.e over 3.5 times your income, going slightly over 90% LTV etc. So with you in a position to put 70k into the deal it wouldn't surprise me if they offered you closer to €180k (Max they can go is 4.5 time Basic Gross per annum). Like I said, if the RBI amount offered is equal to less than Bank offering, you must avail of bank funding.
    Do I go "will you give me 190k" or do I go "what's the max you will give me?"

On the telephone consultation they will ask you personal detail, then what price house you are looking for. You have say €300k, and you are seeking 90% and they will tell you they can blah blah, so you can just ask for a letter confirming same, if they play hardball on that, then apply for the max amount you can €150k and get a letter of that, you should get more on RBI then €150k.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Amary

SLK85 wrote: »
    No the rebuilding Ireland with Meath coco

Still waiting for update from the mpi - this scheme is sucking the life out of me

Is it Utmost you are waiting for? I emailed them and they gave me the answer.

Go to your bank, and have an over the phone mortgage consultation, they will tell you the max you can get, I believe AIB can do same day sanction in principle letters if you are an AIB customer. Then go to a bank that you arent a customer with and go through the same process, this may take a few days to proceed as they will need to go through the process.
    Personally, I had two letters of approval with insufficient offers, so it was fine. I know people that didn't want to wait and went straight in looking for higher amounts c.€200k and were issued decline letters same day for not meeting central bank of Ireland mortgage guidelines. So your call.

Bare in mind also, come January, Central Bank of Ireland, will be issuing Banks with their discretionary exceptions to their guidelines for 2020. i.e over 3.5 times your income, going slightly over 90% LTV etc. So with you in a position to put 70k into the deal it wouldn't surprise me if they offered you closer to €180k (Max they can go is 4.5 time Basic Gross per annum). Like I said, if the RBI amount offered is equal to less than Bank offering, you must avail of bank funding.

On the telephone consultation they will ask you personal detail, then what price house you are looking for. You have say €300k, and you are seeking 90% and they will tell you they can blah blah, so you can just ask for a letter confirming same, if they play hardball on that, then apply for the max amount you can €150k and get a letter of that, you should get more on RBI then €150k.

I believe MPI is only like a tenner a month? How much is home insurance approximately?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JJ_2019

Hi,

I have been to the stage where I signed my mortgage documentation paperwork couple of days back, now how long do u think it will take from her to get the cheque and keys? What is my next step from here?
    R they going to call me in to sign more paperwork or what?

I would appreciate your advise

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

3 above posts all replied to below.
    Thanks
    Amary wrote: »
    Is it Utmost you are waiting for? I emailed them and they gave me the answer.

MPI crowd seem to offer varied times on getting depending on the medical issues that arise during the teleinterview. Applicants should get full approval for MPI via email or phone and then an official letter from your council, which for some reason I had to send to the Council solicitors at their request (if you read any of my previous rants, my council doesn't have a legal team, so they outsource the legal work to a local legal firm, at my cost of course :( so they had no idea i'd been approved.)

I believe MPI is only like a tenner a month? How much is home insurance approximately?

If you shopped around you'd be right MPI is quite affordable however with RI if eligible you must be on the councils group MPI scheme, essentially this puts you into the group and premiums are based on averages. The cost of which varies at €80 to €100 p/m depending on the county (from my research which was more focused on commuter counties, I have no idea what the likes of Dublin city or rathdown are charging). If you are not able to avail of the group MPI you must get private MPI with an equal level of cover to that of the Group Scheme.

It's calculated on a reducing balance too, so in theory the premiums should reduce in line with your mortgage and even with this and the rate of 2.25% it's quite competitive repayment vs bank mortgage.

Home insurance I was quoted between €180 to €300 for the year including contents insurance. Shop around on it. It needs to be to the minimum value of the rebuild cost outlined on your valuation and or surveyor report and the councils interest must be noted on the insurance schedule, they request proof of this.
    JJ_2019 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been to the stage where I signed my mortgage documentation paperwork couple of days back, now how long do u think it will take from her to get the cheque and keys? What is my next step from here?
    R they going to call me in to sign more paperwork or what?

I would appreciate your advise

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I'd contact my solicitor to get an update. Once the documents are signed (although note I had to come in twice to sign documents, so being called in for a few more documents isn't unheard of)and received by the county councils legal team, your solicitor should ask you to send the remainder of the deposit, stamp duty and any council legal fees you are liable for to their client account. If you have already done this or you are in the process, your solicitor makes the necessary transfers and requests for the issuing of cheque, this take a few days. When cheque is received by your solicitor you will have to sign it as it will be in your name and it'll be placed into a client account for you, this will take 5 days to clear, when it is cleared they will transfer the money to the vendor. Keys will then be sent to your solicitor. Stamp duty is to be paid within 3 days of close of sale and then you are homeowners.

I'm not sure you are applying through but my council advised me that if I didn't get the cheque issued by 6th of December I wouldn't get the cheque before mid January as they close over the Christmas period. So if you are hoping to get in before Christmas, get your solicitor to request issuing of cheque asap (provided all documentation has been satisfied).

Hope this helps.

Hi all,

3 above posts all replied to below.
    Thanks

MPI crowd seem to offer varied times on getting depending on the medical issues that arise during the teleinterview. Applicants should get full approval for MPI via email or phone and then an official letter from your council, which for some reason I had to send to the Council solicitors at their request (if you read any of my previous rants, my council doesn't have a legal team, so they outsource the legal work to a local legal firm, at my cost of course :( so they had no idea i'd been approved.)

If you shopped around you'd be right MPI is quite affordable however with RI if eligible you must be on the councils group MPI scheme, essentially this puts you into the group and premiums are based on averages. The cost of which varies at €80 to €100 p/m depending on the county (from my research which was more focused on commuter counties, I have no idea what the likes of Dublin city or rathdown are charging). If you are not able to avail of the group MPI you must get private MPI with an equal level of cover to that of the Group Scheme.

It's calculated on a reducing balance too, so in theory the premiums should reduce in line with your mortgage and even with this and the rate of 2.25% it's quite competitive repayment vs bank mortgage.

Home insurance I was quoted between €180 to €300 for the year including contents insurance. Shop around on it. It needs to be to the minimum value of the rebuild cost outlined on your valuation and or surveyor report and the councils interest must be noted on the insurance schedule, they request proof of this.

Hi,

I'd contact my solicitor to get an update. Once the documents are signed (although note I had to come in twice to sign documents, so being called in for a few more documents isn't unheard of)and received by the county councils legal team, your solicitor should ask you to send the remainder of the deposit, stamp duty and any council legal fees you are liable for to their client account. If you have already done this or you are in the process, your solicitor makes the necessary transfers and requests for the issuing of cheque, this take a few days. When cheque is received by your solicitor you will have to sign it as it will be in your name and it'll be placed into a client account for you, this will take 5 days to clear, when it is cleared they will transfer the money to the vendor. Keys will then be sent to your solicitor. Stamp duty is to be paid within 3 days of close of sale and then you are homeowners.

I'm not sure you are applying through but my council advised me that if I didn't get the cheque issued by 6th of December I wouldn't get the cheque before mid January as they close over the Christmas period. So if you are hoping to get in before Christmas, get your solicitor to request issuing of cheque asap (provided all documentation has been satisfied).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help

• Advertisement

Sorry, just to confirm, 80 - 100 euro per month?

Sorry, just to confirm, 80 - 100 euro per month?

Yeah, you'll be given a brochure once approved outlining everything that it entails but you are looking at around that. Mine for example is €101.65 or something, it's taken out on the same direct debit as your mortgage so my total payment including that high premium MPI is actually still around 50 euro cheaper than what my mortgage payment would be with BOI (before adding in the 10 - 20 euro for private MPI per month).

Yeah, you'll be given a brochure once approved outlining everything that it entails but you are looking at around that. Mine for example is €101.65 or something, it's taken out on the same direct debit as your mortgage so my total payment including that high premium MPI is actually still around 50 euro cheaper than what my mortgage payment would be with BOI (before adding in the 10 - 20 euro for private MPI per month).

That's actually disappointing that it's so much.

That's actually disappointing that it's so much.

Yeah not ideal, but to be fair they are offering more than banks so I guess it is what it is.

Personally, at first I was mad about it but on reflection, I don't mind paying it, I am getting the house I really wanted thanks to RBI compared to the bank that was offering to give me 70% of the funding, and I could not afford a 30% deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lauraITT

SuporT wrote: »
    Hi, do you know when is closing date?

Closed yesterday 3rd December and got the key!!

lauraITT wrote: »

Congrats Homeowner!

Which council was that that closed on the 3rd?
    I'm wexford and they are open until the 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Davorell

Congratulations LauraITT and to all that made it through the process.
    And thanks to tumbleweed for the big write ups recently.
    In regards to CC's MPI scheme, I saw an online Irish times article mention that if you have any preexisting medical conditions, then you are allowed to shop around for other MPI deals. Does anybody have any further info on this and would they recommend if it's possible or would it possibly hamper the application to even mention it?

lauraITT wrote: »

Congratulations Laura, how long it takes to get the keys after signing all the direct debits paperwork for the council. It looks like its never going to end.

Can u give us an estimate idea please?

Thank u

Davorell wrote: »
    Congratulations LauraITT and to all that made it through the process.
    And thanks to tumbleweed for the big write ups recently.
    In regards to CC's MPI scheme, I saw an online Irish times article mention that if you have any preexisting medical conditions, then you are allowed to shop around for other MPI deals. Does anybody have any further info on this and would they recommend if it's possible or would it possibly hamper the application to even mention it?

Happy to give the info if it helps!

You're right, if you have a pre existing medical condition that deems you ineligible for join the Group Scheme MPI, then you must shop around and get cover of equal value to the MPI. You can only be deemed ineligible for the MPI after a tele interview and they decline your application to join it. If you are approved for MPI after the tele interview than you must avail of it. This is outlined on the mortgage approval letter as a condition of approval.

I'd be of the opinion (not experienced it myself as I was approved for MPI scheme, had tele interview for asthma) that if you were to disclose something that makes you ineligible for the group MPI scheme, chances are telling a private MPI provider the same thing may also make you uninsurable or result in higher premiums (maybe not as high as group scheme but higher than the 15 to 20 I was being quoted prior to finding out I'd been approved for MPI scheme).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Shonalou16 wrote: »
    Hello,

We applies the Cork City Council last July 2018, we got our approval in principle the following March ( not 6-8 weeks as advised more like months) and we found a house in June and went Sale agreed.

We got an engineer report done, drains report and valuation which cost us 1000€ in total.

Yesterday we got a refusal letter yesterday on the grounds we didnt have savings to modernise our house ie whats pointed out in our engineers report eg a fitted kitchen.

We are absolutly gutted after waiting 16 months to then be refused because we dont have savings to do up our home which we have planned to do in stages?

Any body else apply with the Cork City Council we are in absolue shock!

This is rather terrifying, we are about to go sale agreed on an older house very soon. Love the house and location.
    We won't have a huge amount left in our savings after.deposit, we were also looking to do it up in stages and start with some major renovation at the start with financial gift from a parent.

I have found Cork City council rather difficult to deal with so far, so very worried now. I'm not sure I could handle starting the house hunt all over again.

Advertisement