Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who's in Germany or planning to come over?

1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    How do you know what level your Germans at ? Is there a test ?

The CEFR like pconn linked. I've done the courses at each level since I started off at a1.1 a few years ago. I haven't bothered with the actual exams but I've done mocks in class since we prepare for them if the other students want to, and they're always easy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

bluewolf wrote: »
    The CEFR like pconn linked. I've done the courses at each level since I started off at a1.1 a few years ago. I haven't bothered with the actual exams but I've done mocks in class since we prepare for them if the other students want to, and they're always easy enough

Cool , I'm only doing lc at the moment .
    I wonder what level that would bring me to . Thanks for links .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have brought a one way ticket to Munich for next month. But any German I have told that Im going to Munich has warned me that the German dialect and Bavarian accent will be very difficult to understand. Should I be worried? Also is it difficult to find a summer job? I have retail experience and decent references. My German isnt amazing, but I imagine its good enough to get by.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Andrew Purfield

hfallada wrote: »
    I have brought a one way ticket to Munich for next month. But any German I have told that Im going to Munich has warned me that the German dialect and Bavarian accent will be very difficult to understand. Should I be worried? Also is it difficult to find a summer job? I have retail experience and decent references. My German isnt amazing, but I imagine its good enough to get by.

Hi.

I have a bayern mate im going to visit in muenster this week again. Tbh i found bayern german ok when i was on holiday there and whenever chatting to people. Its really just a northern austrian accent. Trust me they will speak clearly to you and me anyways as they just want people to make an effort and encourage them in turn. Gruss Gott is far better than guten tag every day.

I was thinking of heading over to one of the german countries myself or go to scandanavia to spend a year learning a nordic language if my contract isnt renewed in september.

Im told unemployments very low there. But its a bit dearer with irish style living costs. At least youre not in slavelandia though as they have a minimum going rate of eight an hour. Its meant to be a bit greasy so things run smoother with less red tape and bayern then gets a very bad rap. I actually found it to be the best german city ive been to so far. None of that schwabische hausfrau nonsense even if it is a bit like ireland.

Whereas many people would vote for the bavarian ff they definitely enjoy life. Irish people would fit in very well there id say. Not saying i vote for conservative types or condone flashiness far from it id be the other end of the scale but itd be a welcome antidote to the misery of 100 punt a week for any fella roughly around their early twenties to get a foot on the ladder there.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

Anyone recommend any job sites for englist speakers looking for summer work in Germany?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

TheBoss11 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend any job sites for englist speakers looking for summer work in Germany?

You can find some here and maybe also here

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Andrew Purfield

Top Language Jobs or Monster plus the domain of the country you want to work in ie .DE for Germany .AT for Austria and .CZ for Czech Republic.

Even if people only have English you might be able to find an office job and a chance of relocation to Germany. I got 1 offer there myself before, but I have French and German on me as well.

If you want my advice, should you struggle with relocating to Germany as they have plenty of English speakers already, Czech Republic is certainly worth consideration. I live in Northern Austria but I've visited there(Prague and Krumkov) a few times, have Czech and Slovak friends there, and would definitely consider working there in the future-wages are not that much less, it's much cheaper thanks to the Kroner, and rents are lower and there's top class affordable public transport. Personally I'm looking at Asia before that though.

Generally the Czech Republic and Poland(where wages are a good bit lower) offer people a chance to relocate for English speaking work, and another language helps too. Plenty of Irish people seem to have some French or Spanish nowadays so they should consider that maybe.

I get regular offers and updates from agencies I dealt with in Ireland and France on work in Bulgaria, Greece, Portugal and Germany as well as Czech Republic, and a lot of that would just be for English, so depends what you want. These jobs are office jobs, IT and engineering they email me, but having English or another language is good enough for many of them.

Advertisement