Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

old tube bulb to led strip lighting under Kitchen Cabinets?

• 14-12-2019 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi all - I'm slowly moving to smart bulbs & plugs - currently only have Alexa controlled TP-Link plugs and 1 TP-link bulb and KASA app. Working great for the Christmas tree lights and icicle lights this year.

We have the old style under cabinet kitchen lighting installed in the kitchen which includes 3 tube bulbs and 3 downlighters on the one circuit/switch (hidden wiring behind walls) etc.

I'm no electrician - but I was wondering would the following work.

1) Can I use the existing switch and electrical wiring?
    2) replace the 3 tube bulb units with 3 led lighting strips (and maybe a wifi switch). Is it possible to use the existing wiring and then use led connectors to 'join' with existing electrical wiring?
    3) What options do I have for the 3 downlighters in the cabinet pelmet on this circuit - the led strip lighting wouldn't work there.
    4) Also is it possible to include a motion detector unit to turn on led strips somewhere in this setup?

Sorry for all the probably 'dumb' questions - but I'd like to work on 'smartening' up my home - and the kitchen cabinets are where I'd like to start.

After that I want to move to the multitude of downlighters we have in porch (2), hall (5), the sitting room (4), Living room (4), general kitchen ceiling (9) and even the bedroom (6) - why we installed so many downlighters I'll never know. What're people's ideas to replace these and to be able to turn off / on remotely through an app and control with Alexa.

Appreciate all feedback

Cheers
    DFS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Led strips typically run at 12v, need a transformer to step down from 220v. They're probably too big to hide under the counter, so would need to be suitably located. Possibly can source mains voltage enclosures with led strips and transformer inbuilt, like a straight replacement for the units you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

kenmc wrote: »
    Led strips typically run at 12v, need a transformer to step down from 220v. They're probably too big to hide under the counter, so would need to be suitably located. Possibly can source mains voltage enclosures with led strips and transformer inbuilt, like a straight replacement for the units you have.

A lot of kitchens have a space or gap behind the units and are easy to drop wires behind, so your transformer could go above the pelmet and run the 12v down to your led lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

Hi All - thanks for the replies to date

after two more tube bulbs have blown over Christmas - I've reached the point where I'm going to replace my current under kitchen cabinet lighting with smart led lighting.

I want to use existing wiring as it's behind cabinets and tiles with main switch in the tiling under a cabinet. I understand I'll need to install a transformer to bring down from 240 volt to 12 volt - I plan to house that under the cabinet as it wont be seen because of the pelmet.

In the currently installed configuration, I have 1 x 20 cm and 2 by 45cm tube bulbs which keep blowing and cost a fortune to replace and 3 g10 downlighters. I'm wondering would the led strip be bright enough?

Could someone recommend a wifi smart led strip - I've been looking at ones from TP link and Lohus. I have tp link smart plugs set up already and recently got some lohus G10 wifi downlighters which work in my porch.

any recommendations would be much appreciated

thanks

DFS

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

DFS UTD wrote: »
    Hi All - thanks for the replies to date

after two more tube bulbs have blown over Christmas - I've reached the point where I'm going to replace my current under kitchen cabinet lighting with smart led lighting.

I want to use existing wiring as it's behind cabinets and tiles with main switch in the tiling under a cabinet. I understand I'll need to install a transformer to bring down from 240 volt to 12 volt - I plan to house that under the cabinet as it wont be seen because of the pelmet.

In the currently installed configuration, I have 1 x 20 cm and 2 by 45cm tube bulbs which keep blowing and cost a fortune to replace and 3 g10 downlighters. I'm wondering would the led strip be bright enough?

Could someone recommend a wifi smart led strip - I've been looking at ones from TP link and Lohus. I have tp link smart plugs set up already and recently got some lohus G10 wifi downlighters which work in my porch.

any recommendations would be much appreciated

thanks

DFS

You can get LED tubes that’ll slot into the existing fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

IKEA sell tradfri LED drivers. They come in at least 10W and 30W versions.
    I was able to screw one to the bottom of my cabinets using the existing wiring for the older tubes.
    I used a set of spotlights rather than strips, but the sockets on the driver are the same.

The driver I used has 3 24V outputs for whatever LED lamps you want to put in.
    If you're anywhere near IKEA take a look at their lighting department.
    Their OMLOPP LEDs are probably the simplest to work with and most of their stuff is plugged in so you can see what it looks like.

They're made to work with Tradfri which gives you a wireless swith to start with - you can link it in to a phone app or alexa/google by adding a Tradfri hub.
    That also allows you to put timers on the lights which is something I've used more than I thought I would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

To fill in some of your other questions if the Tradfri option looks like it might work for your LED strips.

I have one of my LED drivers driving small downlighters, but you might be better off using smart GU10 bulbs there depending on how bright they need to be.
    The Tradfri GU10s (can be linked to the same controller as the LEDs so that you can still have one switch for everything. If you already have GU10 sockets you could start out just replacing those 3 bulbs and get a feel for how the remote might work. You can buy a kit of three GU10s and a remote for €35. They are the more expensive GU10 version which allows for a range of white temperatures from warm to bright. I know your post says G10 rather than GU10, but I suspect it was a typo. If not you'll need to change the downlighter receptacles too.

IKEA also sell a motion detector which can be used to trigger any attached lights. It's not ideal as if you only have one it turns off after 5 minutes.
    I believe there's a way of configuring a pair of them so that they keep the lights on all the time there's somebody present and turn off when the room is empty,
    but I haven't tried that yet as the detectors are €20 and the one I have is working exactly as I need it to on its own.

There's a lot of discussion here about Philips Hue which mentions the IKEA devices being inferior,
    but I've found them to work reliably. You can even link them up with a Philips Hue controller,
    but they flicker about once an hour when you do so I put mine back on the IKEA hub and they've been fine since.

The technology is the same for tradfri and hue but IKEA are produced more cheaply than the Philips units.
    I have both and found the biggest difference to be between the colour bulbs.
    The white and variable temperature bulbs are much closer to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I know this thread is a few weeks old now, but I'm going through the same process.
    I didn't have existing lights under the cabinets, but I ran cables anyway.

I bought a set of Parlat strip lights, which are 240V. I then ran them to the hidden socket behind the microwave and went through a simple smart plug to control the lights.

This is the kit I bought. I needed to get a few extra cables for my kitchen.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Parlat-Under-Cabinet-Light-Rigel-Set-3/dp/B01BVLW6US/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Parlat+LED+Under+Cabinet+Light+Rigel&qid=1585069545&s=electronics&sr=1-6-catcorr

Advertisement