Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stress, what should I do?

• 09-12-2019 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have everything in place on our side just valuation report, deposit has been paid fully and we expect the keys before Christmas, before we placed a security deposit we were told that the house will be ready end of November.

Back in October, The builder's solicitor gave us the snagging date on the 29th November 2019, one week before that, they cancelled it, as road tarmac and water supply was not in. They gave us another completion date and snagging on the December 11, 2019 - engineer booked and valuation booked, today they cancelled it again and moved it next week December 17, 2019.

Our solicitor said that the drawdown is now impossible this year it will be next year.

I have other plans in life and I can't move to my next plan. My wife and I are both stressed, we have put huge amount of our savings in this.

Are we the only one experiencing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Builders always under estimate when a build will be done. In addition they don’t have control on when ESB etc get out there to put in the connections. So you do find it’s 2-3 months later from when they first estimate the house done to when it actually is. And sometimes house is ready but legal paperwork isn’t ready.

Most banks require request funds in this weeks and it’s the cut off. First snag list is usually done by the time funds are requested.

Worse case scenario your in the house in the new year. But you will get into the house. The hard slog is over and just abit more patience is needed. Once your settled in the house, any delays will be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Dolbhad wrote: »
    Builders always under estimate when a build will be done. In addition they don’t have control on when ESB etc get out there to put in the connections. So you do find it’s 2-3 months later from when they first estimate the house done to when it actually is. And sometimes house is ready but legal paperwork isn’t ready.

Most banks require request funds in this weeks and it’s the cut off. First snag list is usually done by the time funds are requested.

Worse case scenario your in the house in the new year. But you will get into the house. The hard slog is over and just abit more patience is needed. Once your settled in the house, any delays will be forgotten.

Thanks man, I hope it won't take more than 2-3months for the services to be connected because we don't want our letter of offer expire. All our plans are basically frozen at this point we just can't make any major decisions like changing jobs, holidays, until we get the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

No you aren't the only people who are experiencing this.
    I'm sorry that everything in your life isn't 100% perfect 100% of the time.
    FrankC21 wrote: »
    Hi,

We have everything in place on our side just valuation report, deposit has been paid fully and we expect the keys before Christmas, before we placed a security deposit we were told that the house will be ready end of November.

Back in October, The builder's solicitor gave us the snagging date on the 29th November 2019, one week before that, they cancelled it, as road tarmac and water supply was not in. They gave us another completion date and snagging on the December 11, 2019 - engineer booked and valuation booked, today they cancelled it again and moved it next week December 17, 2019.

Our solicitor said that the drawdown is now impossible this year it will be next year.

I have other plans in life and I can't move to my next plan. My wife and I are both stressed, we have put huge amount of our savings in this.

No you aren't the only people who are experiencing this.
    I'm sorry that everything in your life isn't 100% perfect 100% of the time.

Thank you, this is what I want to read something that will slap me from dreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

Hi,

Nope. Part of the game I'm afraid. It's a long process - hang in there and don't stress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Almost 6 months into a sale (not new house). We have no hope of drawing down before the end of the year as we are still waiting on a document before the closing date can be set. The letter of offer will expire. The frustration is unbelievable at such a delay (folio map related) but I know once we're in it won't matter. Unfortunately your timing was always a bit tight coming up to year end as there are always minor delays pushing it out but delaying to beginning of 2020 is not bad at all and honestly I would kill for only 6ish weeks of projected delay in timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

[QUOTE=Dolbhad;111979665]Builders always under estimate when a build will be done. In addition they don’t have control on when ESB etc get out there to put in the connections. So you do find it’s 2-3 months later from when they first estimate the house done to when it actually is. And sometimes house is ready but legal paperwork isn’t ready.

Worse case scenario your in the house in the new year. But you will get into the house. The hard slog is over and just abit more patience is needed. Once your settled in the house, any delays will be forgotten.[/QUOTE]

And then after it's wired up it has to be painted and tiled.

And then it's Christmas.
    And then the fancy new heating system isn't right and your surveyor says don't move it till he fixes it - but the main plumbers mother is in hospital and the Polish plumber (who's actually the one you want to do that job or so you're told isn't around because his daughter decided to get married back in Poland even though she came here when she was nine and has no intention of ever living in Poland).

But then it all gets sorted and you move in.
    You'll get there lads and lasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

OP, a house sale going through on time (new or 2nd hand) is the exception rather than the rule.

You hear the odd post here about people getting it done in 6-8 weeks but I'd estimate that in 90% of sales, delays occur.

The reasons are many and varied, but TBH your post just reads as naive.

I'd love if the system was better/quicker but its not, and you'll be less stressed if you just remember that.

Talk to your lender, I'm sure there will be no issue extending your loan given the circumstances. I appreciate you may want to do other things once sale is complete but there will be plenty of time. Buying a house means that you need to stick to the status quo for the duration, and I'd always expect that to be anything up to a year between first applying for a mortgage, house hunting, going sale agreed and then 4-6 months to close.

Ok i just want to let my frustration out, tomorrow 17th December was the new snagging date and I only found out today that it will not go ahead due to the water connection, if I haven't called the foreman I would have wasted my time, 3 times they cancelled it I booked the engineer and valuation team and I asked for a day off work. Now they are telling me this that the irish water cannot commit to a day, they should have been open to me much sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You are buying a new house, it needs water, esb connection,s plus there will always be delays at christmas, most trades take a week off on dec 23rd,
    , they come back in the 1st week of january .there should be no reason to be stressed .
    builders need to snag the building.
    they need power to do certain jobs.
    builders usually have delays, carpentors ,plumbers may be there at different time,s .
    expect delays with builders .
    You will probably live there 20 years, a week or 2 delay is not a big deal.
    It,s simpler buying a old house, as there,s water and power connected already.
    And you dont need to deal with builder,s .

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    You are buying a new house, it needs water, esb connection,s plus there will always be delays at christmas, most trades take a week off on dec 23rd,
    , they come back in the 1st week of january .there should be no reason to be stressed .
    builders need to snag the building.
    they need power to do certain jobs.
    builders usually have delays, carpentors ,plumbers may be there at different time,s .
    expect delays with builders .
    You will probably live there 20 years, a week or 2 delay is not a big deal.
    It,s simpler buying a old house, as there,s water and power connected already.
    And you dont need to deal with builder,s .

My point here is that, they should have been honest with us, they rescheduled it three times now, they should have straight away told us we can't do the snagging before Christmas because the water can't guarantee a date full stop instead of floating around. It is not easy, i have work and I can't just call in a day off and then cancel it. For **** sake.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ok i just want to let my frustration out, tomorrow 17th December was the new snagging date and I only found out today that it will not go ahead due to the water connection, if I haven't called the foreman I would have wasted my time, 3 times they cancelled it I booked the engineer and valuation team and I asked for a day off work. Now they are telling me this that the irish water cannot commit to a day, they should have been open to me much sooner.
    My point here is that, they should have been honest with us, they rescheduled it three times now, they should have straight away told us we can't do the snagging before Christmas because the water can't guarantee a date full stop instead of floating around. It is not easy, i have work and I can't just call in a day off and then cancel it. For **** sake.

The contractor is most likely getting the same delay responces from Irish Water.
    Currently, Irish Water is a major delay in new connections.
    Either way, you would not have been in for Christmas so try not stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

A builder? Honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭StoptheClocks

I'm on my 5th Snag. Down to a handful of small items and one major problem in the bathroom. I've had to drawdown my mortgage.I had to get it extended and that date has now expired. I was supposed to get called back today but wasn't. I'm hoping that this is due to them working on the problem in the bathroom but he's probably not bothered to ring me. I think he's just hoping I take the house before xmas without him finishing it. He has it in the contract that I have to close on the house 28 days after the completion, with him fixing problems within reason. That date is approaching.
    Very stressful going back to see things not done.

I'm on my 5th Snag. Down to a handful of small items and one major problem in the bathroom. I've had to drawdown my mortgage.I had to get it extended and that date has now expired. I was supposed to get called back today but wasn't. I'm hoping that this is due to them working on the problem in the bathroom but he's probably not bothered to ring me. I think he's just hoping I take the house before xmas without him finishing it. He has it in the contract that I have to close on the house 28 days after the completion, with him fixing problems within reason. That date is approaching.
    Very stressful going back to see things not done.

Fifth snag? In our contract we have 14 days to close the sale after given the completion date. The gave us 6 months on our letter of offer, does it mean we have to drawdown before that?

That is standard in contracts now. I had 28 days to complete (counting 14 days builder holidays at xmas). I completed today, I should get the keys tomorrow. You have 14 days to complete, but he has to fix anything within reason.
    I got a professional snagger. €250 for first snag, €125 for revisit.
    Snag 1 = 75 items + the kitchen wasn't finished and the gas wasn't connected.
    snag 2 = 20 items.
    snag 3 less than 10
    Snag 4 the mrs came and found new problems.
    Snag 5 = 3 items left
    snag 6 = I had enough, I wasn't happy with the finish on a few things but decided I'll live with it.

My mortgage expired. I had a contact at the bank that I kept updated. They expended my mortgage by a month. You can drawdown your mortgage if the house has a completion certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep its stressful towards the end. We closed yesterday. The original date given by the builder was August/September, we expected it to be November but it crawled along. Irish Water weren't the issue for us the ESB were. Then it was a delay with the homebond cert. Then our bank decided to throw a spanner in the works when we were expected to close last week, cue three days of complete and utter stress as we waited with hope to close before Christmas. Because of the delay we won't get some of the flooring in before Christmas and we probably won't get the appliances in either until the new year but at least we're in.

All I can say is hang in there, having come out the other side I can confirm its the most stress I have ever felt and the most stress me and the missus have been under in our relationship. All we want to do is sleep after this. Good luck and remember you are nearly there.

I want to change my current job, and there is another job that will pay me higher and less stress than my current one. If I change job now before drawdown will that affect our mortgage application and will the bank ask for another statements, really hate my current job at the moment it is just ****ing toxic people at work and I feel like a trap ****ing prisoner dealing with gob****e at work, each time I go to work I just can't bare the thought of spending the rest of my day with these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 guy101

I want to change my current job, and there is another job that will pay me higher and less stress than my current one. If I change job now before drawdown will that affect our mortgage application and will the bank ask for another statements, really hate my current job at the moment it is just ****ing toxic people at work and I feel like a trap ****ing prisoner dealing with gob****e at work, each time I go to work I just can't bare the thought of spending the rest of my day with these people.

Im in the exact same boat as you. Cant wait to leave my job!!
    You’re much further along than me.

You have to maintain the status quo until drawdown (from what I’ve read).
    You’d likely be on probation in a new job. So you’d have to wait 6 months or until the probation period is finished before reapplying.

guy101 wrote: »
    Im in the exact same boat as you. Cant wait to leave my job!!
    You’re much further along than me.

You have to maintain the status quo until drawdown (from what I’ve read).
    You’d likely be on probation in a new job. So you’d have to wait 6 months or until the probation period is finished before reapplying.

FFS, i guess it is what they say, things will get worse before they get better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

You have to stay in your current role until drawn down. The bank can look for updated documents at any stage and if they see a job change, they won’t release funds. Also technically by agreeing to the loan offer you agree to inform them of any changes in your financial circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

FFS, i guess it is what they say, things will get worse before they get better.

I knew someone in the exact same position. They got their keys at 3 and walked out of the job at 4.

You’re not far off, it’ll be worth the wait in the end. No point messing it up now as if you had to re apply and wait 6 months etc etc the whole landscape could have changed

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Apply for the job anyway, if you get it and still haven’t drawn down, just let them know that you have to work a notice period with your current employer. Once you have the snagging done, things can move quite quickly, it would be a pity to lose out on a better job due to timing issues.

Hi Guys,

So we were told today by the builders that the water will be connected next Wednesday and that snagging we can do the snagging on the 16th of January. At this stage, after cancelling it 4 times already, we don't want to get our hopes up, we don't know what to believe really?

And, I am confused, the bank sent out the valuation guy and did the valuation report before the holidays on the 19th of December, even though I rang the valuation office to hold it off, as the builders cancelled the snagging, I don't understand how?, we did not do any snagging yet and we were told that electricity and water was not connected but on the valuation report everything was working and the bank approved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Hi Guys,

So we were told today by the builders that the water will be connected next Wednesday and that snagging we can do the snagging on the 16th of January. At this stage, after cancelling it 4 times already, we don't want to get our hopes up, we don't know what to believe really?

And, I am confused, the bank sent out the valuation guy and did the valuation report before the holidays on the 19th of December, even though I rang the valuation office to hold it off, as the builders cancelled the snagging, I don't understand how?, we did not do any snagging yet and we were told that electricity and water was not connected but on the valuation report everything was working and the bank approved it.

Valuations on a new build are often a box ticking exercise.

I was mortgage approved with UB and they sent a valuer out to value the house (which at the time was behind fencing and not accessible) who just phoned me and asked how much I had bought the house for.

I asked the builder if he had heard from the valuer and he hadn't.

I was told that some valuers only looked at the show house in the estate that I bought in. Box ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It,s simple the purpose of a bank survey,valuation is to make sure theres no major physical problems with the house,
    eg the house is at Least worth the mortgage amount.
    They just walk around the house and look in all the room,s and the garden.
    the surveyor will just presume the water and esb will be connected up
    soon, at least in the case of a new build house.
    it,s a formality .the good news is the bank approved it.

Hi guys,

So this is the situation at the moment, We received an email from the estate agent that the water supply will be connected this Wednesday, tomorrow, and we can do the snagging thursday 16th January.

I informed our solicitor about the email, he advised us to wait for the builder's solicitor to confirm the snagging date, because they cancelled it 4 times already.

However, I spoke with the engineer that will do the snagging for us, she stated that we don't have to confirm the snagging through the builder's solicitor - i know she want to get paid as well.

She spoke with the foreman to find out what was the delay about and she explained to me that before the Christmas holidays the water board have detected a contamination with the water supply coming through the pipes that is why they had to close the connection, the water board said the pipes were old but the foreman argued that the pipes were newly installed.

Now the water board is going to open the connection this Wednesday and test the water. The engineer want us to do the snagging because she believes that the house is already complete and there will be no trouble to do the snagging.

Part of me want to do the snagging just to get started and find what faults there are and rectify it immediately. However, another part of me is saying to wait until we get a reply from our solicitor.

What you guys think? Should we go ahead and do the snag anyway I want to see the house and find faults as soon as possible this is dragging long enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I’d go ahead, sure what’s the snagger going to check wrt the water? That it’s running. Nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

House needs water supply so the snagger can turn on all taps, turn on showers etc and make sure all working and no leaks anywhere.

Advertisement