Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where all the houses gone?

Options
  • 04-11-2019 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Galway city, west side, looking for a 4/5 bed 2nd hand.

Market is dead.

If prices are static or falling slightly, and recession/brexit perhaps on the way, what are people waiting for if they are thinking of selling?

Likewise, with new builds under construction, why would sellers wait for them to be built, why not try sell up before they go on the market?

Ok, I understand people deciding not to sell at all, cancelling their plan for a few years. Fine. But surely not everyone can do that, and I dont quite understand people seeing trouble on the horizon, and thinking, 'lets wait a few months and see, be sure things are bad before we sell'.

I see some EAs not bothering to mark their property as sale agreed on Daft, I suppose to make themselves look busier than they really are.

All we see are a few houses now, above our budget and arent shifting. Last year was much better.

Its frustrating. Put your damn house up for sale, and ill go take a look next day...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

mcbert wrote: »
    I dont quite understand people seeing trouble on the horizon, and thinking, 'lets wait a few months and see, be sure things are bad before we sell'.

I see there are quite a few 4/5 bed houses in Galway west.
    You probably won't see many of houses put on sale until February. It's a bad months for Sale. Dark short days, cold and wet.
    In addition from the Sellers perspective, the main worry was expected No-Deal Brexit, which since middle of October doesn't seem to be a case anymore, thus recession is not expect from the Brexit(with deal) in itself. I would think this is main reason why many sellers would not be in rush to sell at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Not that I'm a seller or in your area, but if I was only thinking about selling my house, I wouldn't put it on now until the 3rd week in Jan at the earliest.

I wouldnt expect to see much new to market between now and then. If by end of Feb nothing is stirring, then you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

4&5 bed houses on the west side of Galway don't get sold, they get inherited. Obviously a few do end up being sold but far fewer than would be typical in a city that size. Most decent sized family houses get bought out by one of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

4&5 bed houses on the west side of Galway don't get sold, they get inherited. Obviously a few do end up being sold but far fewer than would be typical in a city that size. Most decent sized family houses get bought out by one of the family.

Thanks. That's interesting. Makes some sense I suppose although I still think last year was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

How many 4 bed house, s are built in galway very few,
    look for a 3 bed house, with a large front room, and a utility room, most builder,s build a house, with 3 bedrooms and maybe a utility room ,or an extra room beside the kitchen , as well as the front room .
    or just go house size,
    eg i want a house at least 1000 sq ft .
    you could be waiting a long time for a 4 bed house unless you have
    alot of money to spend .
    one off house,s tend to be bigger , outside the city centre .
    look on daft.ie 3 bed .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Market is dead.
    Agree in established areas. How far West is the key? Established areas very little on offer - Availability in KnocknaCarra is pretty high though especially for 4 bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

Market is dead.

If prices are static or falling slightly, and recession/brexit perhaps on the way, what are people waiting for if they are thinking of selling?

Likewise, with new builds under construction, why would sellers wait for them to be built, why not try sell up before they go on the market?

Ok, I understand people deciding not to sell at all, cancelling their plan for a few years. Fine. But surely not everyone can do that, and I dont quite understand people seeing trouble on the horizon, and thinking, 'lets wait a few months and see, be sure things are bad before we sell'.

I see some EAs not bothering to mark their property as sale agreed on Daft, I suppose to make themselves look busier than they really are.

All we see are a few houses now, above our budget and arent shifting. Last year was much better.

Its frustrating. Put your damn house up for sale, and ill go take a look next day...

Over 1 million immigrants have arrived in Ireland over the last 15 years.
    The conservative estimate for persons per house is 3 per house.
    That would mean 333,000 houses should have been built to accommodate the increase in population over the last 10 to 15 years but we haven't even managed 20,000 house builds per year over the last 10 years.

Demand in the housing market is still astronomical and it will not end until immigration is controlled or stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Quadrivium wrote: »
    The conservative estimate for persons per house is 3 per house.
    That would mean 333,000 houses should have been built to accommodate the increase in population over the last 10 to 15 years but we haven't even managed 20,000 house builds per year over the last 10 years.

Demand in the housing market is still astronomical and it will not end until immigration is controlled or stopped.

Where are your figures coming from? Your arse?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,668 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And how many left again when the bottom fell out of the economy in 2009?

Where are your figures coming from? Your arse?

Is that what they call the Central Statistics Office these days?

180,000 pps numbers were issued to non Nationals in 2018 alone, hello! Wakey wakey, have you been living in a cave or you don't have eyes? Mass immigration to Ireland is happening and it's been happening for almost 20 years, the negative social impact is just beginning...it's only gonna get worse.

• Advertisement

And how many left again when the bottom fell out of the economy in 2009?

Estimates range around 200,000 that left pre 2012 but 600,000 arrived since 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,668 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Estimates range around 200,000 that left pre 2012 but 600,000 arrived since 2013.

That's not what this page says: https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/pme/populationandmigrationestimatesapril2019/

PME2019FIG1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m not a statistician, but that graph does seem to back up what the poster’s claim about pre 2013 emigration (200k) and post immigration (600k).

This nonsense has got nothing to do with this thread. Don't feed the troll. Lack of 4/5 bed homes for sale in galway city has nothing to do with immigration.

This nonsense has got nothing to do with this thread. Don't feed the troll. Lack of 4/5 bed homes for sale in galway city has nothing to do with immigration.

You don’t believe an increase in population can have an effect on housing stock? An improved economy & net immigration increases population and means more people looking for property and more people have the means to retain/buy homes. Owners don’t have to sell, they are not having to emigrate/migrate for work, and when they do sell, more people can afford to buy it.

Great. The anti-foreigner, ireland-for-the-irish morons are busy this morning. Now I have to unfollow my own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dav010 wrote: »
    You don’t believe an increase in population can have an effect on housing stock? An improved economy & net immigration increases population and means more people looking for property and more people have the means to retain/buy homes. Owners don’t have to sell, they are not having to emigrate/migrate for work, and when they do sell, more people can afford to buy it.

You lads are as boring as the day is long

• Registered Users Posts: 15,735 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ah yes, all these immigrants arriving in containers with just the clothes on their backs are buying up all the housing stock on the poor old Irish...yep that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ah yes, all these immigrants arriving in containers with just the clothes on their backs are buying up all the housing stock on the poor old Irish...yep that's it.

George Soros is funding their property purchases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Don't be silly and deflecting. It's painfully obvious that more people = more housing needed. But those houses aren't being built. The available stock becomes more expensive. Basic supply and demand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

A lot of people have moved here because we have shortage in high paid jobs like medicine or IT. Often they are well educated, good experience, and often quite well off before they get here. Some are business people and are quite successful here. They are just as likely to invest in property as anyone else.

Great. The anti-foreigner, ireland-for-the-irish morons are busy this morning. Now I have to unfollow my own thread.

Maybe you tell us the answer you want to hear so people can oblige.

It's expensive to build (tax) hard to get finance, market uncertain, and people are looking for housing that has the least profit in it. Most developers will be wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Growing population.

Sellers not in the main under pressure to sell.

If buyers are limited in how much they can borrow and prices are static than there is very limited incentive for owners to sell especially if they have bought in the last 3 to 5 years.

High construction costs including concrete being twice the price it is in the UK mean limited margins for developers with not much incentive to build on sites bought after 2014.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Take the immigration talk elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Since when does needing a roof over one's head mean you must buy a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,735 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Since when does needing a roof over one's head mean you must buy a house?

The sarcasm eludes you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The sarcasm eludes you.

Nah, just exposing the fallacy that merely not having the means to buy a house renders one having no effect upon housing availability

What are you looking for?

I would presume those CSO figures relate to immigration irrespective of nationality, and includes Irish. During the recession emigration increased while stock remained static so there were fewer people to buy, and fewer people who could afford to. Now that trend has reversed, but again stock has stayed relatively static so fewer people selling, more people buying.

You started a thread to get opinions on the question you asked, it’s pretty rude to then take the piss when people reply.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

L1011 wrote: »
    Take the immigration talk elsewhere

Ahem. Should be cards flying like that old Royal Mail Christmas ad now, and there will be if the immigration stuff continues.

Advertisement