Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cost to Rewire a house??

• 08-12-2008 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

Any sparks out there?
    1200 square foot house in Dublin, got quote of 7.5k to rewire it? am i right in thinking this is far too high?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,809 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This is probably better off in the DIY forum.

Moved from Construction & Planning.

Edit: On second thoughts I'll move it to the electrical forum :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Any sparks out there?
    1200 square foot house in Dublin, got quote of 7.5k to rewire it? am i right in thinking this is far too high?
    Inpossible to answer without alot more detail. If I had to guess I would say no it is not too high.

Details required would be stuff like:
    1) Is the house wooden frame or block?
    2) How many points and what type (ie sockets, lights, cooker, shower, electric heating, gas boiler, stats, phone points, network points, satallite TV, down lighters)
    3) How many floors in the house???
    4) Is the ESB meter outside?
    5) Is it to be wired for an alarm??
    6) What type of 2nd fix equipment (sockets etc) are you going for??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

I got a quote for a biggish house, mostly stone, wired for an alarm, but the alarm wont be fitted. This cost 3,7k. I think 7.5k is way to high, I would get another quote

I got a quote for a biggish house, mostly stone, wired for an alarm, but the alarm wont be fitted. This cost 3,7k. I think 7.5k is way to high
    7.5k could be a great price! Not enough information has been given to have any idea at all. I wired a house once and the light fittings alone cost more than €7.5k

With the information given it is a bit like saying "I have been offered a car for €10k, is that a good price?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

oxygen wrote: »
    I got a quote for a biggish house, mostly stone, wired for an alarm, but the alarm wont be fitted. This cost 3,7k. I think 7.5k is way to high, I would get another quote

you can get wireless alarms you know
    http://www.budgetcostalarms.ie/wireless.htm

• Advertisement

Wireless alarms are what you install if you have no wiring in for an alarm and decide you really would like an alarm. Hard wired alarms are superior to wireless for several reasons. This is why there is a market for hard wired systems.

If you know you will want an alarm system and you have the opportunity, you really should get the wiring in for it.

This is why Eircom PhoneWatch (Ireland’s largest installers of wireless alarms) will not install a wireless system if the wiring is there for a hard wired alarm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

fishdog wrote: »
    This is why Eircom PhoneWatch (Ireland’s largest installers of wireless alarms) will not install a wireless system if the wiring is there for a hard wired alarm.

Never heard they wont install in this scenario. Even a new build where the builder has installed everything but the panel and sensors lets say, but the owner wants Phone watch for whatever reason they wont install it?

Sorry I worded that badly! They will install what ever you like, but if the wiring is in place they would rather use their hardwired system (HKC from what I have seen) rather than their wireless system.

I was wiring a house once and the customer wanted a PhoneWatch system. When Eircom people arrived on site and saw the entire house was being gutted and rewired they asked me to wire for a HKC hard wired system (and in the end a HKC system went in).

the owner wants Phone watch for whatever reason they wont install it?

PhoneWatch can be wired or wireless!
    I guess they will install a wireless if you insist, but why would you want wireless if you have the wires in place??

Advertisement