Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old Railways of Ireland

Options
  • 27-07-2013 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

All of the old railways of Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dennis124wwr

Does anyone have the list of the disused railways in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Is it me, but does that picture really capture the effort and fore thought behind railways in Ireland for the last 50 years.

A decrepit old engine with a world weary wagon behind it. We have the shiny stuff now, yet it feels its gone off the rails in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

The eiretrains website has a lot of images showing railway stations past and present. it also has links to other sites. There are also some users of this website that may point to more comprehensive lists.

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Is it me, but does that picture really capture the effort and fore thought behind railways in Ireland for the last 50 years.

A decrepit old engine with a world weary wagon behind it. We have the shiny stuff now, yet it feels its gone off the rails in a way.
    Why would CIE and Irish Railway just give a railway line away

The eiretrains website has a lot of images showing railway stations past and present. it also has links to other sites. There are also some users of this website that may point to more comprehensive lists.
    www.eiretrains.com

• Advertisement

What is a passing loop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

What is a passing loop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_loop
    Does anyone have the list of the disused railways in Ireland.
    Here's a map of the rail system, probably at its height, which might be useful for comparison:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/21686/264482.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Simply because the people who get the line would be far more interested in its upkeep and maintenance. I used to live near the West Clare Railway and the effort that they put into it and on a volunteer basis is amazing. Pity that the rest of the rail network was not run with that enthusiasm. So when I see pictures of IE rolling stock, sad, rusted and unloved, I thank the lord for the enthusiast.

Sorry for going off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

dennis124wwr - Irish Railways by Tom Ferris covers the history of all the railways in Ireland both broad and narrow gauge in a concise manner. ISBN 978-0-7171-4648-2

And here is must read thread for anyone with an interest in railway heritage and preservation.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056070193

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Why wouldn't they?

If they've no further use for it, pass it on to a community organisation for redevelopment as something else.

• Advertisement

Was anyone in the railway in Tuam.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they?

If they've no further use for it, pass it on to a community organisation for redevelopment as something else.

Why would they do that when the railway was new(olden days). You could just close the railway and fence it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Does anyone have the Beddy Report on CIE Rail.

I can't help feeling that this thread is the wrong forum, you want http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1499 and as for the Beddy Report try the IRRS http://www.irrs.ie/ up at the old goods offices in Heuston Station.

I can't help feeling that this thread is the wrong forum, you want http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1499 and as for the Beddy Report try the IRRS http://www.irrs.ie/ up at the old goods offices in Heuston Station.

I dont agree jd. fora have a certain crossover and I find that heritage is somewhat weak currently in this forum. To move a thread about railways would be counter intuitive even if it would fit in elsewhere also. This may look like jealously guarding this patch but thats partly my role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

......... try the IRRS http://www.irrs.ie/ up at the old goods offices in Heuston Station.

Anybody know if the IRRS has any records of the GSWR / CIE role in the hotel companies? Thanks.

Not sure about where you find the records but it is worth noting the role played by the burgeoning railway network in the development of hotels and tourism in general. One led directly to the other making 'holidaying' an option to a wider number of people. Most major rail junctures saw the development of neighbouring hotels, many of which are still in operation. Take Killarney for example with the current malton hotel being originally the Great Southern hotel adjacent to the Railway station.

Not to mention the Rosslare Great Southern Hotel.

great-southern-dining-room.jpg?w=604&h=404
    http://conorcullen.com/tag/great-southern-hotel/

Within the Republic, the entire network of railway hotels was flogged off for half nothing in two distinct tranches and all have suffered to some extent or rather. Even the flagship Great Southern & Western Railway Parknasilla Hotel is in receivership.

Is it still there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Not to mention the Rosslare Great Southern Hotel.

Within the Republic, the entire network of railway hotels was flogged off for half nothing in two distinct tranches and all have suffered to some extent or rather. Even the flagship Great Southern & Western Railway Parknasilla Hotel is in receivership.

Thnaks JD but it depends on the era. The Park (GSH Kenmare) was sold back in the late '70's for about €200k, and like a few others went 'cheap' but some, like Galway were sold at the height of the boom - Parknasilla was sold to a McNamara company for about €40m, had about the same amount spent on it and after BOSI put in the receivers it was sold earlier this year for a reputed €11 million. The period I'm interested in for GSH (Glengarriff, Kenmare, Parknasilla, Caragh Lake) is 1920-1950 which is a bit of a void in the sources I've checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I dont agree jd. fora have a certain crossover and I find that heritage is somewhat weak currently in this forum. To move a thread about railways would be counter intuitive even if it would fit in elsewhere also. This may look like jealously guarding this patch but thats partly my role.

it's a bit of a mess, the Train and Rail Systems sub-forum should have covered the heritage aspects of railways but is infested with trainspotters (no offence to them , I am one too to an extent, but it does detract from the historical aspects imo) . The problem is all in that title, and the Forum is not what I believe it was intended to be (a kind of virtual Railway Magazine imo)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Anybody know if the IRRS has any records of the GSWR / CIE role in the hotel companies? Thanks.

More than likely they would have them. There's wodges of stuff there, stacked to the ceilings, but you would have to know someone on the inside ideally, some lads are quite nice and helpful, others are a bit...strange.

The Network in Donegal and an overview are given here
    http://www.antraen.com/history.php

It is interesting to see the involvement of the congested district board mentioned in this piece.

Congested District is often construed to mean there were too many people living there.

In fact I believe it means that it is an area where development is frustrated by lack of proper transport links for goods in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

20060316095932%21Ireland%27s_Rail_Network_1925-75.gif

if I could LIKE that twice, I would.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

The railway company also built an excellent hotel at Mulranny. Holidays there were promoted, including packages from parts of Britain.

The railway station was just behind the hotel.

The railway company kept on the hotel on after rail services were discontinued c 1937. It was eventually sold on, passed thru a number of hands, was derelict for a time.

It has now been substantially revamped, an indoor swimming pool and other substantial investment added.

The old railway line has been converted into the Western Greenway, bringing new business to this hotel and the rest of the area.

A success story

nuac wrote: »
    The railway company also built an excellent hotel at Mulranny. Holidays there were promoted, including packages from parts of Britain.

The railway station was just behind the hotel.

The railway company kept on the hotel on after rail services were discontinued c 1937. It was eventually sold on, passed thru a number of hands, was derelict for a time.

It has now been substantially revamped, an indoor swimming pool and other substantial investment added.

The old railway line has been converted into the Western Greenway, bringing new business to this hotel and the rest of the area.

A success story

Is the station still derelict?

• Advertisement

Is the station still derelict?

Last time I was talking to someone on that subject a few months ago, it was still in that state.

Advertisement