Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving to celbridge

• 03-10-2006 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Interested in getting peoples views on the place.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Boysey

Hey... I'm thinking about moving to Celbridge too. Folks seem to have good things to say about it but I would like to know what people who live there think...

Any views on transport to Dublin City Centre, oh, and how much would a taxi cost from the City too?... I'm thinking about €60

Thanks,
    Boysey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

I've lived in Celbridge a couple of years now and like it a lot. I live in one of the newer estates thankfully. The older areas seem to be swarming with scum-bags but generally no more than anywhere else. Great location, easy access to shopping - Manor Mills(Maynooth), Tesco/Tesco(Maynooth 24hr)/ALDI/LIDL/Dunnes(Maynooth 24hr), Liffey Valley, Blanch, of course I drive but the train station at Louisa bridge is handy for going into Dublin. Bus services to and from the city regularly, also Morton's frequent service. Nitelinks also available from the city centre. Never got a cab all the way from Dublin but have heard its around €35. Plenty of amenities in the area, sports clubs, football pitches etc. The area is developing all of the time, rumours of a huge 'Liffey Valley' style shopping complex with cinemas opening within 5yrs over near Intel! A few good pubs in the village - great athmosphere in the Mucky Duck at the weekends and check out the abbey restaurant in the abbey lodge - BEST food in Celbridge by far!

Hope this helps...

Thanks Livewire :)

I've heard one side of the Bridge is easier for getting to the train station and for driving in to the City Centre - What would you reckon?

Would you know or be able to recommend any of the nice estates? That is the ones with out all the roaming ScumBags that you've mentioned :)

Cheers,
    Boysey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭samo

Boysey wrote:
    Thanks Livewire :)

I've heard one side of the Bridge is easier for getting to the train station and for driving in to the City Centre - What would you reckon?

Would you know or be able to recommend any of the nice estates? That is the ones with out all the roaming ScumBags that you've mentioned :)

Cheers,
    Boysey

If your on the Hazelhatch side (across the bridge) in Wolstan or Primrose gate etc then your much closer to train station (a stretch of the legs but a walk!) The train service is due for massive expansion and this can only be a good thing as its very direct into town - at the moment though, if you drive its quite difficult getting parking on the main street and can be heavy traffic on main street during rush hour and school finishing times.. Off peak drive wise the journey into town can be done in approx 20 mins from the other side of the main street (Castletown/Beatty Park/Celbridge House pub end) and in peak hours approx 40 -60 mins - the main place you'll hit traffic if you go out onto the N4 via HP is Lucan junction.

Had to once get a taxi from Celbridge to Citywest and cost approx 35 euro which seemed pretty steep so your probably not far off with your taxi estimatiins at 60euro into town!

Would second what Livewire said about Celbridge - there's quite alot of development planned, big complex of shops goiing up by Aldi and also the Tesco's site is being re-developed. All of the estates in Celbridge can be prone to the scum bag element (who in the main are based in a certain estate off the main street - no offence to anyone though!) but generally most of the estates are pretty good and well developed. All depends on what your budget is - are you renting or buying?

Cool, thanks Samo...

We're thinking about buying out that way... Don't really like the idea of buying an apartment in the city, much prefer to get a house and the idea of living in a place like Celbridge appeals more than some of the other areas in Dublin.

We would be commuting in by Train so the easier it would be to access the station the better - Get me another 10 minutes in bed in the morning :)

Thanks Again,
    Boysey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I've been to Celbridge so many times (It's right beside leixlip) and I have friends who live in it, but I can't stand it. I hate the confusion of it, the amount of roads with houses that lead out of it..and the village itself. I don't like the atmosphere either. That said, it's miles nicer than Lucan, and some of the estates are really nice. But I love Leixlip, even though it gets a lot of stick. it's closer to town too, and it has a whole TWO stops on the direct train line. Lovely atmosphere I think, and I've lived here for 18 years. The bridge really smells though..ugh. Maynooth is a lovely town too- also on the train line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Don't move to Celbridge!!! It's basically one street surrounded by fiellds and estates and feck all else. You would be much, much better off in Maynooth. A much nicer town, more to do, 24 hour Tesco and a shopping centre. And you can get either the 66, 67A or the train into town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

cushtac wrote:
    Interested in getting peoples views on the place.
    Thanks
    I'm living on the Hazelhatch Road for 2 years now. Really like Celbridge, it's near to everywhere yet still in the country. The train station is about 1 mile from the Hazelhatch Road side, which is a 15/20 min walk, but there is also a free feeder service provided by Irish Rail. This link isn't very well publicised, but Irish Rail have promised in the last council meeting to make people more aware of this service. The train into town from Hazelhatch takes only 20 mins, can take up to 40 mins from Maynooth. An Aldi recently opened in the town and the Tesco has just received planning permission to be redeveloped. There are nice pubs and restaurants. A taxi from Dublin is 35e (although I have got it for 30 in the past). The Nitelink only takes 30 mins from town and drops you at either the entrance to St Wolstans Abbey or at the bridge. Celbridge is the first stop on the route at weekends. If you want more info post on the forum at www.celbridge.ie where people are always quick to answer questions about the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

samo wrote:
    If your on the Hazelhatch side (across the bridge) in Wolstan or Primrose gate etc then your much closer to train station (a stretch of the legs but a walk!) The train service is due for massive expansion and this can only be a good thing as its very direct into town - at the moment though, if you drive its quite difficult getting parking on the main street and can be heavy traffic on main street during rush hour and school finishing times.. Off peak drive wise the journey into town can be done in approx 20 mins from the other side of the main street (Castletown/Beatty Park/Celbridge House pub end) and in peak hours approx 40 -60 mins - the main place you'll hit traffic if you go out onto the N4 via HP is Lucan junction.

Had to once get a taxi from Celbridge to Citywest and cost approx 35 euro which seemed pretty steep so your probably not far off with your taxi estimatiins at 60euro into town!

Would second what Livewire said about Celbridge - there's quite alot of development planned, big complex of shops goiing up by Aldi and also the Tesco's site is being re-developed. All of the estates in Celbridge can be prone to the scum bag element (who in the main are based in a certain estate off the main street - no offence to anyone though!) but generally most of the estates are pretty good and well developed. All depends on what your budget is - are you renting or buying?

When you say in a certain estate off the main street do you mean St Pat's Park. I've in that estate all my life and have never encountered a "scum-bag element". There are plenty young lads and girls in that estate that hang around but no more than any of the other estates. But your comments refelct the prejudice that most people including myself have experienced over the years due mainly that it was the only council estate in the town for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The train into town from Hazelhatch takes only 20 mins, can take up to 40 mins from Maynooth.

And train from Hazelhatch leaves you in Heuston. Train from Maynooth leaves you in Connolly/Tara/Pearse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Celbridge, eh? In a word...don't. Been living there all 22 years of my life and the rapid deterioration of the place over the past decade or so is shocking, and is a bad omen for the future if it keeps up.

The fact is that they're throwing up houses left right and centre without improving the infrastructure to match causes horrendous commuting problems, and unless you live over the Grove/ Primrose Hill side of the 'Bridge, it's actually handier to go to the Maynooth train station than Hazelhatch.

And there's knackbags in every estate in Celbridge from Wolstan's Haven to Willowbrook and Primrose Hill, so there's no real point highlighting the Park.

Also, they've closed off Castletown Forest, one of the towns biggest amenities, and it looks like it's going to be closed to the public for good in the near future...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Gizzle wrote:

Also, they've closed off Castletown Forest, one of the towns biggest amenities, and it looks like it's going to be closed to the public for good in the near future...
    Only for the barbra streisand concert no?

Soby wrote:
    Only for the barbra streisand concert no?

Not from what I've heard. Take it with a pinch of salt, mixed with a bit of cynicism, but I was told that they are just using the concert as an opportunity to privatise the whole of the grounds with a view to making it a regular concert venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Gizzle wrote:
    they are just using the concert as an opportunity to privatise the whole of the grounds with a view to making it a regular concert venue.

That won't happen now... I write this 2 days after the concert... enough said!

vibrant wrote:
    That won't happen now... I write this 2 days after the concert... enough said!

Yes, because two days after the concert is clearly enough time to change what was a public amenity for a couple of centuries into a privatised venue :rolleyes:

Anyways, we all know that you can't get away with being that blatant and obvious in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Actually Gizelle, what I meant was that the event turned into such a fiasco due to staggering displays of mismanagment and complete lack of staff training that it got the worst possible kind of publicity and that the possibility of holding similiar events in the future was pretty unlikely.

vibrant wrote:
    Actually Gizelle, what I meant was that the event turned into such a fiasco due to staggering displays of mismanagment and complete lack of staff training that it got the worst possible kind of publicity and that the possibility of holding similiar events in the future was pretty unlikely.

Gizelle?! I wish I were that fast. On your above point however, agreed. You were a bit vague in your original post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 niallosul

I have lived in celbridge all my life and personally i think its a bit of a dump with the exception of a couple of estates. I live in Primrose Hill and really like it, not a scumbag in sight and all the families are really nice.

I think because of the towns location just outside dublin it has effected how it has developed. Its too far from anywhere for people to venture out of and because of that i find that allot of young people especially just hang around and get caught up in the towns dull atmosphere. Id far quicker recomend maynooth or Lucan which are well developed, well kept towns with allot more buzz about them and more to offer all ages. If you are buying in celbridge buy on the hazelhatch road. I live on it myself and feel it is the nicest area in celbridge with the most well maintained estates and best access to transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ant25

Hi all
    I've just been reading this thread which seems to suggest that there are a lot of problems with anti-social behaviour/ and dodgy characters in Celbridgre however anyone who knows the area that I've asked in person has great things to say about it.
    These threads are from 2008 and before so just wondering if there are ny people out there who cangive an up to date opinion.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Closing as you already have a thread on this.

Plus, don't bump old threads :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement