Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

About them vegans lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

joe40 wrote: »
    I'm certainly not a vegan, a confirmed meat eater I am. But I do find it strange that meat eaters can be so fussy about the animals they get their meat from. For example would anyone here eat meat from a dog or a horse.

"Im not a vegan" + "dog though" argument lol. The old ones are certainly the best ;). Seriously - the number of times I've seen that on boards is quite hilarious.

Do you eat rat? Why not? What's wrong with rat? Are you speciest?

And yes some people do eat horse and dog and even rat.

Do you eat Cacti and grass? Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'm certainly not a vegan, a confirmed meat eater I am. But I do find it strange that meat eaters can be so fussy about the animals they get their meat from. For example would anyone here eat meat from a dog or a horse.
    Absolutely. Have eaten horse in France. Would eat pretty much anything not endangered (unless of course I was in some dystopian situation, then all bets are off, including human), it's all just fuel at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

_Brian wrote: »
    Have eaten both.
    Horse is so similar to beef hence the horaemeat scandal from few years ago.
    Dog on the other hand was poor quality and not something I’d try again.

In Ireland we have a terribly narrow selection of meats we eat. Go on the continent and they eat a wider variety and more of each animal too.

I know horsemeat is commonly eaten in Europe, (I've eaten it myself) but is dog meat? I think Animals that we keep as pets or are domesticated in some way are less likely to be eaten.
    I can't argue a moral reason for this it just seems to be the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Well I can only speak anecdotally, but the vegans/vegetarians I know only mention their dietary choices when actually eating or if asked directly. Conversely, they get smart comments on their diet all the time out of context from people who eat meat.

I eat meat myself, but what is it to me if other people don't want to?

I think the problem is with extremist vegan groups who want to take away your choice to eat the meats you want to and force you to eat along the lines of their chosen doctrine.
    That’s a serious problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Vegans are anti farming rather than anti animal cruelty.

Have you ever seen them protesting at a halting site where horses are raced to death regularly. Or at puppy farms where family pets are reared. No they are just anti farming.

That's some serious whataboutery there. No I've definitely never heard of vegan groups protesting over animal cruelty. Wait until you hear about PETA, it will blow your mind!

Farmers (at least the ones on here) seem to be the most precious bunch.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I think the problem is with extremist vegan groups who want to take away your choice to eat the meats you want to and force you to eat along the lines of their chosen doctrine.
    That’s a serious problem.

They're hardly representative of all vegans though. It's a vocal minority that gets attention because the press love that sort of stuff. Nothing generates clicks like outrage.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Well I can only speak anecdotally, but the vegans/vegetarians I know only mention their dietary choices when actually eating or if asked directly. Conversely, they get smart comments on their diet all the time out of context from people who eat meat.
    I eat meat myself, but what is it to me if other people don't want to?

Not around here it isn't. Personally dont give a proverbial what anyone eats tbh. But the number of times I've seen open preaching here against those who choose meat etc as part of their diet is quite amazing tbh. For example there was a thread about a sheep that had been killed by some random psycho and it was quickly hijacked into a pro vegan distribe on how meat was the the equivalent of nuclear waste or whatever...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

gozunda wrote: »
    Not around here it isn't. Personally dont give a proverbial what anyone eats tbh. But the number of times I've seen open preaching here against those who choose meat etc as part of their diet is quite amazing tbh. For example there was a thread about a sheep that had been killed by some random psycho and it was quickly hijacked into a pro vegan distribe on how meat was the the equivalent of nuclear waste or whatever...

Where is here? Boards?

I'm talking about real life.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I probably eat one or two vegans dinners every week
    Haven't died yet
    probably much healthier

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    That's some serious whataboutery there. No I've definitely never heard of vegan groups protesting over animal cruelty. Wait until you hear about PETA, it will blow your mind!Farmers (at least the ones on here) seem to be the most precious bunch.

PETA? Lol.

This PETA which has a policy of illegally taking and killing peoples pets? Dont make me puke.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/killing-animals-petas-open-secret_b_59e78243e4b0e60c4aa36711

Ah the old 'precious' insult :rolleyes:

Well when someone is sprouting bull****e about food production etc - you dont think farmers and others aren't going to point this out...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That's some serious whataboutery there. No I've definitely never heard of vegan groups protesting over animal cruelty. Wait until you hear about PETA, it will blow your mind!

Farmers (at least the ones on here) seem to be the most precious bunch.

Yea, a group that kills 80% of the animals that make it to their “shelters”

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

I'm pretty small and tender ;)

If you're small, then the phrase eat your greens or you won't grow up is rubbish and the whole vegan thing is just another fad diet.

Where is here? Boards?I'm talking about real life.

Boards of course. You did refer to comments btw. And we do get 'real' people here. It's not all bots you know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Don't know what has happened to people, can they not just vent an opinion over a pint, or quietly not eat meat, or whatever the feck. Saw this video this morning. Google tells me this branding style of protest has been going on for years, all over the place. I've no idea what would drive people to such extreme bizarre behaviour, and I'm vegetarian for decades. Why are people so all out freaking weird now? :confused:

https://twitter.com/EdgeCGroup/status/1138632878588354560

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Can't spell opinion without onion

Can’t spell perturbed without turd.

The reason they don't is because its a purely for profit making company.

https://www.petakillsanimals.com/

People who care about animals like being around them. Farmers vets etc activists largely do not like the reality of being around animals or are clueless.

Peta wanted Animal Crackers to be re-named.

They constantly use racial profiling for instance they always claim horses owned by people from certain countries are abused without knowing anything and then have to admit they were wrong.

Look at these salaries.
    PETA Salaries
    Job TitleSalaryMedia Coordinator salaries - 3 salaries reported$41,339/yrCommunications salaries - 3 salaries reported$38,696/yrCruelty Investigations salaries - 2 salaries reported$34,570/yrVeterinary Technician salaries - 2 salaries reported$29,836/yr

For people who love animals they employ very few vets.
    PETA holds absolutely no open-adoption shelter hours at its Norfolk, VA headquarters, choosing instead to spend part of its $32 million annual income on a contract with a crematory service to periodically empty hundreds of animal bodies from its large walk-in freezer.

Just seeing if you hold everyone to the same standard. We are often told how much farmers care for their animals, especially in Ireland (coming from rural ireland, I largely believe it). So where are the farmers protesting at halting sites? Or puppy farms? Or do they only care about the animals they can make money off? Or is it only the dreaded vegans that are held to such high standards?

I'm not a vegan but some of the nonsense that gets spouted here about vegans and extremists is crazy.

I'm not a vegan at all, but for vegans this is not simply a matter of opinion, for them it is a moral issue that they feel obliged to protest about.
    To use an analogy imagine you were protesting slavery in 19th century America would the argument "well if you don't want slaves fair enough but let the rest of us keep our slaves and mind your own business" hold sway over you.
    I'm not saying eating meat is the same as slavery it is just that for vegans they find eating meat morally wrong and feel compelled to do something.

I don't agree with their opinion but I accept that they feel strongly about the issue, and it is more than just a difference of opinion.
    If a vegan chooses to think I'm morally wrong to eat meat so be it, it won't put me off my steak.

Just seeing if you hold everyone to the same standard. We are often told how much farmers care for their animals, especially in Ireland (coming from rural ireland, I largely believe it). So where are the farmers protesting at halting sites? Or puppy farms? Or do they only care about the animals they can make money off? Or is it only the dreaded vegans that are held to such high standards?

I'm not a vegan but some of the nonsense that gets spouted here about vegans and extremists is crazy.

A lot of farmers rehome animals from shelters. Esp horses. They also give advice.

Bear in mind they work long hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

new age hippies

What about them? Each to their own. Don't sweat the insignificant stuff.

A lot of farmers rehome animals from shelters. Esp horses. They also give advice.

Bear in mind they work long hours.

I'm sure they do, as I'm sure a lot of vegans do too. I have no issues with farmers, I worked on farms as a young fellow. Just pointing out how silly these generalisations are and how one group is held to higher standards than others.

I'm not a vegan at all, but for vegans this is not simply a matter of opinion, for them it is a moral issue that they feel obliged to protest about.To use an analogy imagine you were protesting slavery in 19th century America would the argument "well if you don't want slaves fair enough but let the rest of us keep our slaves and mind your own business" hold sway over you.I'm not saying eating meat is the same as slavery it is just that for vegans they find eating meat morally wrong and feel compelled to do something.I don't agree with their opinion but I accept that they feel strongly about the issue, and it is more than just a difference of opinion.If a vegan chooses to think I'm morally wrong to eat meat so be it, it won't put me off my steak.

I see what you are saying but would you fek with the morality bs. We can all have our moral leanings - doesnt mean we have to go and wave it around like a trophy. Or turn up in masks and intimidate people buying meat in a butcher's like a small bunch of extremist plant nutters did in Waterford.

And that stupid plant advocate extremist 'slavery thou' analogy argument thats used all the time. It's the usual plant advocates screamer stuff right there. Not only is it insulting to the real victims of slavery - it's more of the same rubbish tbh and a complete and utter non sequitur scutter.

I'm sure they do, as I'm sure a lot of vegans do too. I have no issues with farmers, I worked on farms as a young fellow. Just pointing out how silly these generalisations are and how one group is held to higher standards than others.

I am not getting at you or individuals in a generalizing way. I think the issue is you are held to your own standards.

I don't think peta saves animals. Nor do i think that is what they are for.

gozunda wrote: »
    I see what you are saying but would you fek with the morality bs. We can all have our moral leanings - doesnt mean we have to go around and wave it around like a trophy. And that stupid plant advocate extremist 'slavery thou' analogy argument. That's the usual plant advocates screamer stuff right there. Not only is it insulting to the real victims of slavery - it's more of the same rubbish tbh and a complete and utter non sequitur scutter.

You seem very angry about this. I have said I'm not a vegan, I'm not promoting veganism I'm just saying I understand why they feel compelled to express their opinion. My analogy as regards protesting slavery is sound.
    If you think something is morally wrong it is understandable that you might feel compelled to express that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The vast majority of Vegans are female , I can see one reason for some “lads” to adopt the lifestyle......

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

silverharp wrote: »
    The vast majority of Vegans are female , I can see one reason for some “lads” to adopt the lifestyle......

Ridiculous post of the week and its only Wednesday, fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

I wouldnt be vegan....but it is the way of the future imo

When you see the arguements for it...they are mostly correct and lads thinking this is a fad or whatever are deluded,its here to stay and is most ethical and sustainable diet in long tern

• Advertisement

_blaaz wrote: »
    I wouldnt be vegan....but it is the way of the future imo

When you see the arguements for it...they are mostly correct and lads thinking this is a fad or whatever are deluded,its here to stay and is most ethical and sustainable diet in long tern

Hard to make plausible predictions of the future given the advances in technology and companies like Memphis Meats. It is quite possible for example that "the future" is many of us - many vegans included - eating lab grown meat products.

And I have yet to see anything but the most extreme vegetarian or vegan take any issue ethically with lab grown meat. The more extreme say it is still ethically wrong because the original DNA sample used was taken without the animals consent. But that parses as nonsense for the majority of veggies and vegans I have heard reply to it.

Advertisement