Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC Animated Universe, where to start?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Might be shes invested in the Teen Titans. I haven't seen those.

I might end up watching the film anyway cos the trailer jokes were funny and it sounds like there was more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Yeah to be fair I never watched the show. I heard it was good from someone who did but I never found the time.

Funny enough the person who said the show was good, absolutely hated the trailers for this so it might have been the different style.

Either way I won't be checking it out. Can't say I'm surprised that it turned out bad (at least to adults) or that rotten tomatoes have it as fresh.

Bob on the case. Says it is funny. Mostly aimed to young kids. Likely fans of previous incarnations before "Go" may be upset.

Sounds like what we were guessing

I wouldn't take much notice of movieBob's opinion.

Taken from reddit user calvinien, I think this sums him up pretty well.
    Imagine the worst parts of nerddom boiled into one person. Imagine the worst excesses of both ends of the political spectrum existing simultaneously in one person. That is moviebob.

Short version: he's the humanoid personification of every toxic nerd/toxic fan cliche in the books, wrapped up in a southie accent and a boatload of hypocrisy.

Long version from an ex fan:

He's an internet pundit who largely attaches himself to popular ideas and acts as though he was their originator. He blasts people he does not like as douchebros while insulting and belittling anyone who thinks different from him.

Notable for:

-openly holding a grudge against people who game on things other than nintendo, because 'these are the kids who used to beat us up and steal our lunch money. They don't deserve this hobby'

-taking positions based entirely on how they fit his biases even if they were mutually exclusive. For instance he simultaneously defends the atrocious sexism of Metroid other M (for non gamers, metroid is a series about a badass female bounty hunter. Other M made her into a cringing weak willed wreck dependent on male characters to save her and being obsessed with babies.) while also positioning himself alongside Anita Sarkeesian. You can't be anti sexist while also defending sexist. He's all about demonizing modern non nintendo gamers as sexists because of the above....but nintendo is always exempt. Also he compared halo fans to white supremacists.

- When Sony was rebooting spider-man, not only did he keep insisting that SM3 was good and we were all too stupid to get it, he waged a one man vendetta against Amazing spider-man. He bitched about Gwen being played by a redhead (she wasn't.) but then bitched that casting Martin Sheen as uncle ben was too obvious. He complained about the lack of biological web shooters an that spiderman quipped too much. Also he kept trying to draw comparisons between it and transformers, his previous bete noir. When the film came out (all of this whinging was before it even released) he quickly spun tales of gratuitous shaky cam, lens flares and a generic nazi style villain. None of which are in the film.

Fun fact: he was also totally all over Zack Snyder for 300, sucker punch and watchmen. He LOVED him some zack snyder, but changed his opinion overnight when it became impolitic. He was all over Man of steel in previews but then it became uncool to like DC so he dropped it like a ton of bricks.

With the possible exception of dave rubin, I think he's the internet celeb that I loathe the absolute most.

And here's another good description from HEAVEN_OR_HECK
    If you track Bob Chipman's career and output, you will see that he experimented with several shades of punditry before settling on his current attention-grabbing mode. The persona/strategy he currently espouses and embodies online happens to put less emphasis on available fact. He is low-hanging fruit to dispel in the eyes of any fact-driven observer, but perhaps this was worthwhile given how many fans take Chipman's content as bias-confirming gospel.

But you don't have to take the word of others, here he is having an argument with fans online telling them that the Snyder cut of Justice League doesn't exist. When he gets called out by someone who worked on the film he goes into attack mode and once that fails he plays the victim.

Seriously, MovieBob isn't worth your time. There's so many decent reviewers on YouTube that put genuine time and thought into their content. Don't reward this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I must admit, I'm looking forward to checking our Teen Titans Go this weekend. I think the series is hilarious.

However I get why people don't like it. I also liked the original TT animated series: I liked that it was a continuation of the DCAU, I liked the vaguely serialised nature of the stories. Often going over many episodes.

However I also love the new series. It's not going to damage the DCAU :) It's just a total goof. And what's wrong with that? There are enough winks and nods to the DCAU that you get a laugh. (When they meet the Young Justice crew and try to get all serious. Or Robin dreaming in the style of Teen Titans). I'll take something different over doing the now-typical DC Movie style. I mean, look at the trailers/footage we have seen of the "edgier" Teen Titans..... OOOOOhhhhhhhh. They drop the Teen and say things like "F*ck Batman". C'mon guys. Have ye learned NOTHING from the recent DC movies? Nothing?

Nerd fandom can be especially toxic and resistant to chaaaaaaaange. We all are that way to a point (I never like the guest voices of Batman when they do their story adaptations in the animated movies. For me, the voice of Batman/Joker is Conroy/Hamill). And I'm not saying that's happening in this thread at all. This thread is a pleasant to-and-fro debate. But we've all seen it: Most recently the new Batwoman actor being trolled because she is not gay (She is). Anyway, back on topic.....

I'm looking forward to this (Including Will Arnett as Slade and Nicholas Cage as SUPERMAN!!!!! That's a better fourth wall joke than ANY in Deadpool). Plus,
    thankfully we are getting the amazing Young Justice back (Cannot... wait).
    Give me TTG over Not-teen Titans any day

• Advertisement

On the guest voices thing I really liked Bruce Greenwood's Batman and Jensen Ackles as Jason Todd in under the red hood. Soon there will be a day where Conroy and Hamill won't be able to do the films so can't be that way forever.

I agree with the whole resistant to change thing. It can be very difficult to try new stuff without backlash, but I suppose that is the side effect of having characters that are loved by many.

These "fandoms" can have a difficult mentality to understand at times, but it is usually just a small section making the most noise all the same.

Like Teen titans go is something I'm not in the slightest bit interested in ( I may have already said :pac: ) but I don't think it shouldn't have been made. There is obviously an audience for it, I'm just not it. Same with the Batman 66 animated movie released a couple of years ago, its someone's cup of tea but not mine. My bad movie could be someone else's great.

Unfortunately there are more than a few "content creators" out there who have basically made a career out of feeding into that mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

On the guest voices thing I really liked Bruce Greenwood's Batman and Jensen Ackles as Jason Todd in under the red hood. Soon there will be a day where Conroy and Hamill won't be able to do the films so can't be that way forever.

Jason O'Mara was quite good in a few of the recent Justice League animated movies, as Batman.

Well that was hilarious.... IF YOU LIKED THE SERIES. If you didn't then it may not be for you.

I thoroughly enjoyed that. It was stupid, childish with scattershot jokes and many many catchy musical numbers..... Just like the series really.

I was surprised how many digs they got in about Marvel properties: Spoilers.... Seriously...
    Right from the start with the Marvelesque logo joke to the extended Stan Lee cameo. The constant reference to Deadpool, Guardians of The Galaxy and on and on

The montage of the Titan's solution to getting their own movie is actually quite shocking... In a kid's show way. Deadpool movie actually considered something similar but cut it as too harsh.

And the last line of the movie.... before the... spoiler.... bonus credit sequence.. totally came out of nowhere. :)

Your mileage will seriously depend on if you like the series but they do get in jokes about the current state of the DC cinematic universe, the TV universe.

There were a load of families there with noisy kids which was good (I hate noise in the cinema like everyone else but not at kids movies. I'm the one who is out of place at these screenings and have to respect that. Kids are supposed to be laughing and pointing and shouting at the screen, having fun :) ). The parents seemed to be having just as much fun as the kids who were bopping about with the tunes and shouting at the screen.

So, if you like the series, go to it. Make it a success. If not, then wait for it to be on DVD/Netflix/wherever.

What if you haven't seen either? I'm guessing it's a funny film for most audiences.

Ah yeah. If you like your humour slapstick and pretty inane :)

• Advertisement

Young Justice season 3 on premieres 04 January. Teaser on youtube:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I watched the The Death of Superman on Blu-ray on Monday. I thought the story was really good.
    It is a near interpretation of Superman's battle with Doomsday made with the new 52 animation. A certain proportion of DC fans may be turned off with the new 52 animation style that is littered all across this movie. It doesn't turn me off whatsoever as the story beats all of it down with it's superior quality. All of the JLA are included in this movie to give it a nice twist. There are really good credit scenes in there too as soon as they start rolling at the end for the next movie The Reign of The Supermen.

Release dates for The Reign of The Supermen are as follows.

Digital Download - 15th of January 2019

UHD Blu-ray/Blu-ray & DVD - 29th January 2019

I was never really gone on the whole animated movie adaptations. I tend not to like the voice casting and character design. I understand the logic behind them: These are NOT continuations of TAS universe. These are standalone adaptations. And it makes sense and is a good idea. They just never did it for me. (I did enjoy 2009's Wonder Woman: "Mr President, the threat has been neutralised" "How?" "By a bunch of.... armoured supermodels" Hah)

That was why I couldn't wait for "The Killing Joke". Conroy and Hamill doing the voicing? Brilliant. The Killing Joke? Amazing (I know there is debate about the treatment of Barbara Gordon but, for me, this is missing the point. It was MEANT to be brutal and shocking and uncomfortable. This was not The Clown Prince of Crime. This was a sociopath. Anyway, another conversation)

And then the movie came out...........

I also find the latest season of "Young Justice" to be unfocused and not as engaging as previous seasons. It has spent too many episodes introducing the next generation of new characters who are all pretty bland. And only recently started kicking into the arc in a big way (20+ episodes in).

I say DC need to do an animated series of "No Man's Land". You could hop around to all the different characters. They could get 3 or 4 seasons out of that easily. Apparently they were looking into it in the early 2000s but dropped it as being "too dark". Ironic given the direction they have pushed their movies/TV shows. I'm watching Titans on Netflix and it's hilarious how "dark and moody" it is :D "F*ck Batman. lol

I knew of the existance of this story but I don't know the backstory. I hope they've included some of the backstory (like the childhood for example)

One shot of Shazam! and I'm wanting another Shazam! film soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Slydice wrote: »
    One shot of Shazam! and I'm wanting another Shazam! film soon!

I rented this last night and it was very good, and actually quite emotional at times.

A worthy end to the DCAU. Whatever they're planning for the new animated world on HBOMax I do hope they go back to basics a bit as I still can't get used to blood thirsty Superman that they've depicted in the last could of new 52 inspired features.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Batman Death in the Family...Its interactive you decide.

Just watched Batman The Long Halloween Part 1 & part 2... They are very good,...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Harley Quinn The Animated Series on HBO Max got awarded with Best Animated Series at The Critics Choice Awards in L.A. on Sunday night. I assume this was for S3. If so well done to the cast & crew.

I just started Batman : Soul of the Dragon.

Very strange start. I thought to pop on here to ask if people recommend it.

Advertisement