Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC Animated Universe, where to start?

• 17-08-2016 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

Hi all, wondering if you could point me in the right direction. I'm gonna start watching all of the DC Animated Universe shows from the 90s to I guess now(?), watched them a little back then but kinda forgot about them. I'm wondering where should I start?

There are a few lists around the Internet but they seem to contradict each other. What way would you all advice to watch them?

Thanks!

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,119 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hi all, wondering if you could point me in the right direction. I'm gonna start watching all of the DC Animated Universe shows from the 90s to I guess now(?), watched them a little back then but kinda forgot about them. I'm wondering where should I start?

There are a few lists around the Internet but they seem to contradict each other. What way would you all advice to watch them?

Thanks!

The best Batman film ever made is a good place to start, it's called Mask of the Phantasm. There's no real watching order to the animated movies though so just watch whichever you like.

Green Lantern: First Flight, Justice Leage:Doom, All Star Superman are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Batman: The Animated Series

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Yeah that seems to be the place to start. I'll get stuck in so, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Superman: The Animated Series
    New Batman Adventures (marketed in Europe as seasons 4-5 of Batman TAS)
    Justice League
    Justice League Unlimited

For the movies, there's no real order. They're mostly standalone. The best quality ones come before "The Flashpoint Paradox" imo. Some good ones already mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Young Justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Another vote here for Batman: The Animated Series. What a great show.

Also I don't know if I'm alone in this but I remember liking the animated film on Wonder Woman that came out a good few years ago. It had Keri Russell from The Americans doing the voice acting. I'd suggest checking it out.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Another vote here for Batman: The Animated Series. What a great show.

Also I don't know if I'm alone in this but I remember liking the animated film on Wonder Woman that came out a good few years ago. It had Keri Russell from The Americans doing the voice acting. I'd suggest checking it out.

You're not alone there. I've watched it a few times and it's fantastic. It's annoying that it never got a follow up. Also annoying that the Green Lantern: First Flight movie was followed by the tepid Emerald Knights.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Slydice wrote: »
    Young Justice.

Young Justice is out of continuity with the above but it's well worth the watch. Criminally cut short.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Nervous Wrek has the proper order. Include Young Justice too. As for the movies: Any order really but avoid The Killing Joke (Much as it pains me to say)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Justice League Dark is another solid entry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

There is a current continuity for the movies following 'Flashpoint Paradox' in the New 52 style.

Justice League: War
    Son of Batman
    JL: Throne of Atlantis
    Batman vs Robin
    Batman Bad Blood
    JL vs Teen Titans
    JL Dark
    And the upcoming Teen Titans: The Judas Contract

Of course don't discount the previous movies mentioned as most of them are better than a lot of the current continuity.

Young Justice has also had as 3rd season announced since this thread was started and is really worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Justice League Dark is another solid entry.
    I see justice league dark had Constantine voiced by the guy from the canceled TV series.. Matt something..

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Constantine is being rebooted as a cartoon web series on the CW Seed now with Matt Ryan voicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I watched Justice League: War last night... Impressive. Better than I thought it would be.

I watched Justice League: War last night... Impressive. Better than I thought it would be.

I'm pretty sure that mostly follows the story of the first 5-7 issues of new52 justice league, if that strikes your fancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

No love for Batman under the red hood?

Also I enjoyed the dark knight returns part 1 and 2.

Batman beyond return of the joker. (you might want to watch some of the batman beyond show first)

The killing joke isn't bad once you get beyond the opening 20 minutes.

Under the Red Hood is great.

I didn't like TDKR that much cos I felt it misfired some of the great moments and I really didn't like the voice acting for Batman.

Return of the Joker is probably my second favourite of the whole catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Constantine is being rebooted as a cartoon web series on the CW Seed now with Matt Ryan voicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Christian Slater as Deadshot!

• Advertisement

Amusing! I'll allow it! :)

5 Minutes from Comic Con seems a bit much.. but recap and trailer in it:

I watch them in order of what year there made thats series and movies, just looked at the trailer of "The Death of Superman" isn't that a rehash of Superman Doomsday from 2007, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0934706/

5 Minutes from Comic Con seems a bit much.. but recap and trailer in it:

Can’t wait for it, has a release date been given yet?

Sometime in early 2019 but it's a strange one. DC are launching their own streaming service .. which looks like it might be USA only.. and this will probably release on it.

(yeah, just DC shows.. good luck with that DC)

Sometime in early 2019 but it's a strange one. DC are launching their own streaming service .. which looks like it might be USA only.. and this will probably release on it.

(yeah, just DC shows.. good luck with that DC)

Yeah the service is going to be US only it will have comics and movies as well though so interesting to see how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Four new DC animated movies will be released on home video for 2019.

Batman: Hush
    Justice League vs The Fatal Five
    The Reign of The Supermen
    Wonder Woman: Bloodlines

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/07/dc-announces-2019-animated-movie-slate-including-batman-hush-and-wonder-woman-bloodlines/

Amusing! I'll allow it! :)

Ouch... avoid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I mean that's exactly what the trailers looked like they were selling, a really dumb kids movie. Don't think I'll ever bother to watch as it's just not in my interest area.

Advertisement