Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need your advise - I did something stupid

• 10-08-2018 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice or should I say

I did something very stupid this morning on the way to work, I am fully admitting I am in the wrong here and I am NOT looking for advice on how to "get away" with my actions but I just want to know the likely hood of something happening i.e. letter from Gardaí or court appearance. Which I am willing to accept as I have already said I was in the wrong and should not have done it.

Ok so this morning on the way to work there were a few diversions in place due to a major traffic incident in the early hours at Fairview. On one of the detours the traffic was back up and it was a very narrow road so no real room to filter down the road. I seen a moped go onto the footpath and proceed down, so I think to myself I will try that. I was literally crawling along, no more than walking pace, decided half way down that I would go back onto the road as did not feel comfortable doing it.

Question is; there was a worker or resident a good bit down the path ahead of me and I am not sure if he was trying to take a video of me or get a pic of my reg plate. If they did am I looking at getting a call etc. from the Gardaí, which would be totally correct btw.

I'm not looking for people to stand on their soap boxes and tell me how wrong I was and I deserve everything I get. I know I was wrong and have admitted that, I just want to know how likely I am to be punished for my stupidity

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It would depend on if they got a clear pic of the reg and then on who the info is passed onto in the station and their willingness to follow up. Yeah, the person might be annoyed and want to punish the "inconsiderate bikers" but if he didnt get anything concrete to indentify you, theres feck all can be done really.

If it was a diversion, your commute might not take you that way again so could be a case of not crossing that road again just so the person cant confirm your reg on a 2nd passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Mopeds tend to have a looser attitude than bikes typically, I see them in cycle lanes more than I do on the white line. I normally wouldn't consider doing anything they do. While I have mounted the path plenty of times it's normally for parking or avoiding car park barriers and I'm very careful about it, giving pedestrians 100% right of way and avoiding inconveniencing anyone, I wouldn't really consider doing it to overtake a line of traffic.

Anyway, I doubt you'll hear about it, it's more likely to show up in the motors dash cam thread than in the garda inbox, lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

zubair wrote: »
    Mopeds tend to have a looser attitude than bikes typically, I see them in cycle lanes more than I do on the white line. I normally wouldn't consider doing anything they do. While I have mounted the path plenty of times it's normally for parking or avoiding car park barriers and I'm very careful about it, giving pedestrians 100% right of way and avoiding inconveniencing anyone, I wouldn't really consider doing it to overtake a line of traffic.

Anyway, I doubt you'll hear about it, it's more likely to show up in the motors dash cam thread than in the garda inbox, lesson learned.

Cheers, 100% agree If any pedestrians were on the path I would give them priority and would not even have attempted the stupid option. I did not feel comfortable doing it so that's why I went back on the road, maybe subconsciously knowing I was not suppose to be doing it.

As I said if it comes to it I will take the punishment as I as in the wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's most likely if anything happens it will be a visit from the Gardai to give you a bollocking.

In which case the appropriate course of action is to take the bollocking and apologise profusely.

Lumen wrote: »
    It's most likely if anything happens it will be a visit from the Gardai to give you a bollocking.

In which case the appropriate course of action is to take the bollocking and apologise profusely.

Agree, would accept said bollocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

Personally I doubt anything would come of it, everyday we see dash cam footage of idiots and there's rarely any kind of follow up bar there's some kind of damage or injury.

Like GBX said above I'd take a different route for a while though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Just a thought...can anyone just video you without your consent...Just askin..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Just a thought...can anyone just video you without your consent...Just askin..

Yes, if it's in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Lumen wrote: »
    Yes, if it's in public.

Is it admissible ..tho..?

Is it admissible ..tho..?

Up to a judge to decide, if it ever got to court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

bladespin wrote: »
    Up to a judge to decide, if it ever got to court.

Forget about it nothing will happen. Keep to roads .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Whenever I see a camera I wheelie lol

OP I doubt anything will come of it, and if it does then as Lumen say's take your bollocking but admit to fvck all you naughty boy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Zebbedee

OP your post reminded me of the time I bought my first bike a KE125 from the Kawasaki Centre on Wexford street, Dublin.
    I was very nervous because I wasn't really able to ride it so I rode it most of the way down wexford st and camden St on the footpath!
    I didn't get out of first gear and I must have stalled it 30 times.
    I finally got up the courage to drive on the road near the Bleeding Horse pub!
    The guys in the bike shop must have cracked up laughing at me.

I eventually made it back to Wicklow without incident until the first time I put it on the sidestand and it rolled forward and broke the clutch lever.

It was a long time ago and shows the value of today's compulsory IBT :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

You say you felt uncomfortable doing it.
    I dont believe that.

The only reason you felt uncomfortable is because someone was videoing it.

The reason you moved off the path was because you saw someone videoing.

Same story all the time, people are not sorry about doing wrong.
    Only feel sorry that they get caught and didn't get away with it.

Unfortunately nothing more will happen because enforcement of our road traffic laws are so rare

Cyclists do it all the time ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

green123 wrote: »
    I dont believe that.

Unfortunately nothing more will happen because enforcement of our road traffic laws are so rare

I hope you wear a parachute on that high horse. It's a long way to fall. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

green123 wrote: »
    I dont believe that.

Jaysus, you logged in just for this. Well it was worth it. Great contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

zubair wrote: »
    Jaysus, you logged in just for this. Well it was worth it. Great contribution.

I was wondering what Judge Dredd was up to these days.
    Didn't think he'd be accessing boards from Mega City One! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,563 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My only advice is if you see a moped do anything ever.

Do the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Goose81

Hi all,

Looking for some advice or should I say

I did something very stupid this morning on the way to work, I am fully admitting I am in the wrong here and I am NOT looking for advice on how to "get away" with my actions but I just want to know the likely hood of something happening i.e. letter from Gardaí or court appearance. Which I am willing to accept as I have already said I was in the wrong and should not have done it.

Ok so this morning on the way to work there were a few diversions in place due to a major traffic incident in the early hours at Fairview. On one of the detours the traffic was back up and it was a very narrow road so no real room to filter down the road. I seen a moped go onto the footpath and proceed down, so I think to myself I will try that. I was literally crawling along, no more than walking pace, decided half way down that I would go back onto the road as did not feel comfortable doing it.

Question is; there was a worker or resident a good bit down the path ahead of me and I am not sure if he was trying to take a video of me or get a pic of my reg plate. If they did am I looking at getting a call etc. from the Gardaí, which would be totally correct btw.

I'm not looking for people to stand on their soap boxes and tell me how wrong I was and I deserve everything I get. I know I was wrong and have admitted that, I just want to know how likely I am to be punished for my stupidity

Who cares, relax nothing will come of it at all. Jesus you'd swear you mowed someone down or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭Wossack

wouldnt worry about it - more likely to wind up on some moany facebook page, then with the gards

Emmersonn wrote: »
    I hope you wear a parachute on that high horse. It's a long way to fall. :P

:D:D:D

Thanks to all for your advice and comments

Advertisement