Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Birth Records 1916-1928

• 12-02-2018 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Right..so on irishgeneology.ie civil records search, birth records stop at 1916 (inclusive) and on findmypast.ie the records with mothers maidan name don't start untill 1929...so my question is where online can i find some irish birth records (west cork) between 1917 and 1929 with access to mothers maiden name? Or even access to look at the records online?
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Some parishes on rootsireland for Cork go to 1922 but that's your lot. Data protection is there to protect people not help us do genealogy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

yea, i understand about the data protection!!!! But its just a chunk in the middle! lol
    for example i can find my uncle born in 1957 on findmypast (mother maidan name included)
    but anything before 1928 and i have nothing untill 1916. only the name of the person born! (and i have come to notice how common it was in the past to have the same name as others!)

Thanks for the advice, i shall check out rootsireland as i have not done so yet!
    My grandmothers family were born between 1911 and 1932 (yes...big family!) and its annoying how there is a chunk of them in the middle whose year of birth i cant find! LOL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, you have to understand the background. The GRO didn't start adding the mother's maiden name into indexes until 1929, but the records on irishgenealogy.ie have had the name added in manually when they digitised them. The records on FMP and the other sites are the indexes which the Mormons copied in the 1950s and have now turned into databases. Every year irishgenealogy will add from now on will have the mother's name but until then, there's not much you can do. When we get 1926 (in 2026 or hopefully sooner), you'll be able to see everyone born by then.

You can also go about it the old-fashioned expensive way. Make a list from the FMP indexes of everyone born with that surname in the area during those years. Cross out any names you already have in the family. Work your way through ordering them using names that are in the family in earlier generations first. That's how we did it before all these online indexes (I sound about 100 years old!)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Well, that makes so much sense! I always wondered about it! Its annoying, but at least now i know the proper reasons behind it!!

Before i subscribe to rootsireland, do you know how much records are available for the Dunmanway Parish in "Cork and Ross"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Would familysearch have that info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Well, that makes so much sense! I always wondered about it! Its annoying, but at least now i know the proper reasons behind it!!

Before i subscribe to rootsireland, do you know how much records are available for the Dunmanway Parish in "Cork and Ross"?

no - Dunmanway is west Cork and RC baptisms and marriages are IrishGenealogy (c1818-1880s).. they dont usually overlap with RootsIreland for Cork records

spurious wrote: »
    Would familysearch have that info?

Records are indexed, unfortunately no maidan name of the mother is shown between the dates i have stated, like FMP!

shanew wrote: »
    no - Dunmanway is west Cork and RC baptisms and marriages are IrishGenealogy (c1818-1880s).. they dont usually overlap with RootsIreland for Cork records

Ugh..so there wont be any birth records in Dunmanway for between 1917 and 1928 is it?? Bummer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Ugh..so there wont be any birth records in Dunmanway for between 1917 and 1928 is it?? Bummer!!

best place in the GRO research room in Werburgh St. and the original index books - they have the references for this timeframe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

shanew wrote: »
    best place in the GRO research room in Werburgh St. and the original index books - they have the references for this timeframe

That is where we all did our research and had few complaints.

The more free goodies we get, the more some people want, like turning a tap in the kitchen.

Be thankful that so much Irish records are free, unlike most countries.

• Advertisement

tabbey wrote: »
    That is where we all did our research and had few complaints.

The more free goodies we get, the more some people want, like turning a tap in the kitchen.

Be thankful that so much Irish records are free, unlike most countries.

I am very thankful! I dont mind heading to the GRO to do research there..i was jist wondering if there were any available online first!
    Its a great resource online and yes..we should be very thankful. Im not giving out about it in the slightest.

Advertisement