Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

**Why you should insist on RGI. when working with gas**

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That 100,000 figure is complete fiction.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tonyroc

A word of caution is make sure to get a cert off the plumber . I recently did a job and where a boiler was fitted in November 2015 by one of the biggest installing companies in the state. RGI as of last week still have no record from the company that did the installation. The company sent what appears to be a back dated cert "White" .
    The company plumbers did not follow best practice. The type of system installed was classed as a "serious public health concern " because drinking water could be contained by chemicals and bacteria stated by chairman Oireachtas Committee PSOP 7 Oct 2015 and agreed by NSAI ,Dept of Environment & Dept Jobs Enterprises in a discussion about the fact there are no plumbing regulations in Ireland so we have nothing to enforce . If something had happened to either the boiler itself or the pipping system insurance companies might not have paid out . The owner of the property carries all the responsibility if anything happens because of the plumbing system. Owners can even face civil actions if pipe work contaminates the public main or if any illness occurres because of bad workmanship or faulty parts . Owners can go after the plumber but they need deep pockets to do so .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fridge_Eng

Bord gais sent a RGI plumber out to change the meter on my mothers 1910 house. They put in the new meter at the front of the house, ran copper pipe from the meter to the side passage. drilled through the frame of the side door & continued down the side passage around the corner & in through the wall into the kitchen, all at a height of about 2 foot off the ground & all unprotected. Can anyone tell me if this meets regulations? At this height it would be very easy to damage the pipe with a wheelbarrow or even a wheelie bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

Help! I've just been told today after routine yearly inspection, I need new boiler.Old one corroded,will be leaking anytime soon.Any advice on whats best one? I'm informed I can get grant, looked up seia grant, and my brain is mush with all the paperwork &words. Any kind boiler interpreter out there who could help me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

dcmm wrote: »
    Help! I've just been told today after routine yearly inspection, I need new boiler.Old one corroded,will be leaking anytime soon.Any advice on whats best one? I'm informed I can get grant, looked up seia grant, and my brain is mush with all the paperwork &words. Any kind boiler interpreter out there who could help me please?

Grants are only available if you upgrade your heating controls too. You should start a new thread as this one is hard to spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tonyroc

Fridge_Eng wrote: »
    Bord gais sent a RGI plumber out to change the meter on my mothers 1910 house. They put in the new meter at the front of the house, ran copper pipe from the meter to the side passage. drilled through the frame of the side door & continued down the side passage around the corner & in through the wall into the kitchen, all at a height of about 2 foot off the ground & all unprotected. Can anyone tell me if this meets regulations? At this height it would be very easy to damage the pipe with a wheelbarrow or even a wheelie bin.
    im not RGI or a qualified plumber but like you i have common sense at the very least i would imagine that requires trunking for safety. I would demand it immediately and make sure your watching when they are doing it or they will try to slip on the trunking without drilling it to the wall because the pipe is now in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,912 ✭✭✭dodzy

RGI installed.
    PRV blanked.
    'nuf said.

493630.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

dodzy wrote: »
    RGI installed.
    PRV blanked.
    'nuf said.

The image isn't showing.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    The image isn't showing.

Very odd, as it was showing yesterday. Re-inserted photo above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Have you a picture showing more of the pipework for context.
    If thats a hot press (up stairs?)' and no safety discharge pipe-work having been disconnected, then my initial thought is that its a very poor setup to facilitate having a pressure gauge at that point.

Is there a pressure relief valve at the gas boiler?
    Most gas boilers with the exception of some Heat Only models will have a built in safety valve, normally piped out through the wall. If that is in place and not blanked off, then there is no risk.

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Have you a picture showing more of the pipework for context.
    If thats a hot press (up stairs?)' and no safety discharge pipe-work having been disconnected, then my initial thought is that its a very poor setup to facilitate having a pressure gauge at that point.

Is there a pressure relief valve at the gas boiler?
    Most gas boilers with the exception of some Heat Only models will have a built in safety valve, normally piped out through the wall. If that is in place and not blanked off, then there is no risk.

Sorry for late reply KF. Bungalow. Oil boiler (Grant) fitted on outer adjacent wall. Unless there is some sort if integrated HP relief setup but I couldn't see anything obvious. I'm going to uncap the outlet of the PRV, connect and run a pipe through wall to outside property as a safeguard.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

dodzy wrote: »
    Sorry for late reply KF. Bungalow. Oil boiler (Grant) fitted on outer adjacent wall. Unless there is some sort if integrated HP relief setup but I couldn't see anything obvious. I'm going to uncap the outlet of the PRV, connect and run a pipe through wall to outside property as a safeguard.

Why did you have a rgi working on an oil boiler?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Why did you have a rgi working on an oil boiler?
    Not my place. I was just installing a kitchen & tiling it and bathroom when I questioned the setup I pictured earlier. The guy was recommended by a colleague who did gas work at their property (RGI - certed and all accompanying paperwork supplied and work was good). She called him following the referral and he was happy to carry out the work at her place.

Advertisement