Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenheron - do you like living there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fleur86

Heaven forbid. Its really disgraceful a lower classed person might live in Glenheron.

All these comments are a bit bizarre, we moved in at the start of the summer in the Park, and all the social housing have already moved in. And in all the time there we've heard zero parties, zero noise, zero issues, everyone is lovely. And most of the houses have put in extra planting etc so they have their houses looking nicer than we do to be honest, so no idea where all that stuff is coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

lfen wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the management fees are in Glenheron?

We were advised approximately 450 per annum for a 3 bed semi.

fleur86 wrote: »
    All these comments are a bit bizarre, we moved in at the start of the summer in the Park, and all the social housing have already moved in. And in all the time there we've heard zero parties, zero noise, zero issues, everyone is lovely. And most of the houses have put in extra planting etc so they have their houses looking nicer than we do to be honest, so no idea where all that stuff is coming from.

Direct feedback from folks living there. As well as a degree of shock when they realized there was social housing in the estate. But that is their own fault for not doing their homework.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Direct feedback from folks living there.

Really?
    That is different to the direct feedback that I got, social housing wasn’t even mentioned. You seem to be the only poster on this thread with such a negative view of people that live in social housing. You do realize that the vast majority of new estates will contain social housing??

2011 wrote: »
    Really?
    That is different to the direct feedback that I got, social housing wasn’t even mentioned. You seem to be the only poster on this thread with such a negative view of people that live in social housing. You do realize that the vast majority of new estates will contain social housing??

Well if by negative you mean not willing to shell out 450k or more for somewhere that is possibly problematic then guilty.

Honestly, why would i choose to live in a potentially troublesome environment?

The residents we spoke to, came out to us when they saw us looking around and readily offered their opinions. This was very generous and honest given they had just bought. To quote one of them 'we saved all our money to get away from this type of things and then we find them living next door..'

Social housing is just one factor in us deciding not to buy there. I covered the others above.

There are new estates in Greystones that have neither social housing or maintenance charge.

To confirm, you would be quite happy to live next to social housing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

There are new estates in Greystones that have neither social housing or maintenance charge.

generally to avoid social housing in a new estate you have to pay a lot more and they are normally much smaller (0-25 units).

Unusual that there are new estates that are both without social housing and have no maintenance fee (i.e. the council is taking them in charge) id have thought that was a very unusual combo.

which ones are they?

Cyrus wrote: »
    generally to avoid social housing in a new estate you have to pay a lot more and they are normally much smaller (0-25 units).

Unusual that there are new estates that are both without social housing and have no maintenance fee (i.e. the council is taking them in charge) id have thought that was a very unusual combo.

which ones are they?

If you call Sherry Fitz and ask which estates have neither they will tell you.

We got a cancellation in one of them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Well if by negative you mean not willing to shell out 450k or more for somewhere that is possibly problematic then guilty.

Honestly, why would i choose to live in a potentially troublesome environment?

The residents we spoke to, came out to us when they saw us looking around and readily offered their opinions. This was very generous and honest given they had just bought. To quote one of them 'we saved all our money to get away from this type of things and then we find them living next door..'

Unbelievable.

How do you think society should deal with these people?
    To confirm, you would be quite happy to live next to social housing?

There is social housing in my estate. No complaints form anyone in the estate that I am aware of. I have no issues whatsoever.

If you call Sherry Fitz and ask which estates have neither they will tell you.

We got a cancellation in one of them.

why dont you save me the call seeing as you have the information? no need to be coy im assuming its not confidential information.

Cyrus wrote: »
    why dont you save me the call seeing as you have the information? no need to be coy im assuming its not confidential information.

I did my due diligence when buying, cant recommend it enough. But would rather not have the general public know what estate i am in :)

• Advertisement

Unbelievable.

How do you think society should deal with these people?

There is social housing in my estate. No complaints form anyone in the estate that I am aware of. I have no issues whatsoever.

Nicely dodged.

'I have no issues whatsoever..... living next door to social housing?'

No doubt i will be seen as an elitist because i am honest as opposed to all this faux outrage.

Nicely dodged.

I don’t follow. You asked me a question, I answered. I will clarify further, I have no issues living beside social housing. Is that still a dodge??

I did my due diligence when buying, cant recommend it enough. But would rather not have the general public know what estate i am in :)

ive bought already and did my own due diligence, my estate doesnt have social housing either but it does have (a hefty) mgt charge which is why i doubt that there is a new estate being built that has neither.

I don’t follow. You asked me a question, I answered. I will clarify further, I have no issues living beside social housing. Is that still a dodge??

Well good for you. But from your messages you aren't living next door to them or in the position of house hunting, so it's just words.

I guess you didn't check out ****** then, oooops, costly mistake.

well not really as i didnt buy in greystones lovely town but too far out for me personally.

But from your messages you aren't living next door to them

Well I kind of do actually. My house backs onto theirs.

You seem to have dodged my question, what should society do with these people in your opinion??? Where should they live in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fleur86

Direct feedback from folks living there. As well as a degree of shock when they realized there was social housing in the estate. But that is their own fault for not doing their homework.

Well we're living there and haven't heard or seen any of the issues you mention, or heard that opinion from any of our neighbours in the Park, unless it was an earlier phase you heard this in. Everyone seems happy where we are anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

It could be that the houses that are left in Glenheron are not shifting due to garden aspect. They are all North facing.

We have been down 3 times at this stage and it seems like a lovely area.

I also spoke with a resident and he felt that a lot of the “social housing” talk came from one resident in particular, which was then blown out of proportion. One of the examples he gave was that kids did a nick nock on this particular residents door and the guards were called.

For anyone wondering, Farrankelly and Churchlands will have social housing. Don’t think Eastmount does.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

lfen wrote: »
    It could be that the houses that are left in Glenheron are not shifting due to garden aspect. They are all North facing.

We have been down 3 times at this stage and it seems like a lovely area.

I also spoke with a resident and he felt that a lot of the “social housing” talk came from one resident in particular, which was then blown out of proportion. One of the examples he gave was that kids did a nick nock on this particular residents door and the guards were called.

For anyone wondering, Farrankelly and Churchlands will have social housing. Don’t think Eastmount does.

they called the guards over a nick nack? Seriously? It can't be that long since they've been kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

they called the guards over a nick nack? Seriously? It can't be that long since they've been kids.

That’s what I’m told.

A few minor burglaries also as in tools, bikes etc but that can happen anywhere and obviously isn’t related to social housing.

• Advertisement

As a child of a council estate I have fond experiences of it but also the drive to better myself.

A small house, meager living all inspire. There are plenty of successful, thriving council estates in Greystones.

Giving someone the same house as that bought by someone working hard and paying taxes only engenders a lack of drive to excel and causes animosity in the neighbourhood.

Unfortunately the council seem not to favor the open building of council estates but rather the back door approach of buying houses in new or established estates e.g. Glenheron and Charlesland.

I would be interested to hear your views on why lovely 3 bed semis not near the school or main road in Glenheron are not selling.

Nice dodge, I see my questions remain unanswered.

For clarity my questions were:
    what should society do with these people in your opinion??? Where should they live in your opinion?

I answered you. :)

No, you had a rant but didn’t offer any answers to my questions. I still don’t know what you would suggest. I see that you feel begrudged.
    Seems like you are extremely happy with 'these people' living next to you.

To date I have no issues with anyone in my estate. Hopefully it stays that way. So yes I’m quite content.

• Administrators Posts: 53,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Social housing is unlikely to be the reason Glenheron isn't selling those few houses. All the other developments in Greystones that have it are selling no bother.

Not really sure why Blandpebbles is being so secretive, they posted a few weeks ago they bought a house in Waverly.

What other developments are selling no bother?

And I am mysterious :)

Seagreen and Churchlands for example.

Waverly has a large field behind it, owned by Cairn Homes, zoned for residential development, and that will definitely have social housing in it if it goes ahead.

Seagreen currently has 5 houses for sale however none of these houses currently border social housing. Social housing is being built on other side of road, in, one might say, it's own estate.

Churchlands has no confirmed sales as yet only some booking deposits and they have not communicated which houses are social but the two rows are not currently bordering social housing based on the site plan as they back on to fields.

The Cairn homes area is a separate estate which will which will border the top row of houses in Waverly but be separate by estate walls i.e. not in Waverly.

Yes, and across the road the houses had no problem selling.

People have booked houses in Churchlands knowing there is social housing going in there, exact same as they did in Seagreen.

It may be a "separate" estate, but I am pretty sure that Waverly has no mgmt fees so will be handed over to Wicklow CoCo when it's done, so there is nothing to stop the entrance to this new estate being within Waverly.

My point is none of these estates have social housing adjoining other houses as it does in Glenheron.

Waverly has already been taken over by the council and the entrance to the Cairn estate will be via the field oppposite Redford cemetery. This is to alleviate congestion on the Delgany road.

Yes they do. The social houses are literally joined on to houses that are not social houses.

In fact, in Seagreen, the houses in the same cul-de-sacs as the social houses were among the very first to sell.

I'm not dismissing your concern, I just don't see it as as big a deal and nor do others and I don't believe it's the reason Glenheron has those houses left. These social gaffs don't mean you're getting a family on the dole in beside you. These will be working families with lower incomes.

awec wrote: »
    Yes they do. The social houses are literally joined on to houses that are not social houses.

In fact, in Seagreen, the houses in the same cul-de-sacs as the social houses were among the very first to sell.

I'm not dismissing your concern, I just don't see it as as big a deal and nor do others and I don't believe it's the reason Glenheron has those houses left. These social gaffs don't mean you're getting a family on the dole in beside you. These will be working families with lower incomes.

That’s grand I can respect your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

That’s grand I can respect your opinion.

Just zero respect for Social housing families. Your veil has well and truly slipped

I think closing out a debate with a healthy respect for others opinions would have been enough but you have to come back with some nonsense.

It might be an idea to have respect for other people too, including those that live in social housing.

This sort of statement shows a lack of respect: “Well if by negative you mean not willing to shell out 450k or more for somewhere that is possibly problematic then guilty.

Honestly, why would i choose to live in a potentially troublesome environment?”.

In the real world “potentially troublesome environments” are not confined to social housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Why are the final houses not selling in this estate?

What do you think the effect will be of the school / creche will do at the roundabout / glenheron entrace where it is being built?

Advertisement