Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insufferable beer snobs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sky King wrote: »
    Well to be fair, we have beer tossers to thank for the increased variety available these days, so lets not write them off altogether.

It's thanks to eejits in startupps making manky pale ale in their bathtubs that people started drinking the stuff.

Now proper brewers like Diageo who can actually control their brewing process have taken over with the like of Smithwicks Pale Ale - it's my pale ale of choice these days - far superior to almost everything else on offer, with the exception of McGargles which have a few decent ones. Excellent, balanced taste and total consistency.

The 'local stuff' is usually made on a shoestring by unqualified morons on 10th-hand equipment and tastes like detergent. There are a few exceptions to this, but not many.

Where to start with this? You're saying the likes of Kinnegar, Ballykilcavan, Trouble Brewing, Dot Brewing, Blacks of Kinsale etc are unqualified morons using 10th hand equipment?

You do know Diageo will make the blandest beers that appeal to the mass populace and market them as "craft"?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Guinness is also brewed locally in Nigeria and Australia

Yes but they actually use a dehydrated hopped wort that is shipped from Dublin to brew the beer.

Either way, if it's brewed abroad how does that still not make it an Irish product and brand?

The labels will all have "St James's Gate, Dublin" on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Is there any truth in the rumour you don’t get a hangover from craft beer as there is a lot less crap put into them?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

whippet wrote: »
    I've been avoiding going to any pub with my brother for the last couple of years - he is the most stereotypical craft beer c..t on the plant.

he brews his own muck which 90% of the time is undrinkable ... yet apparently my palate is just underdeveloped.

No matter what pub he ever goes in to the process is the same -- a quick glance at the taps followed by a subtle shake of the head; then he leans in over the bar -- scans the fridges - sharp intake of breath followed by - 'Is this all that you have?' .. when it is pointed out that pubs generally don't have hidden stuff they only sell when a ginger beard requests it with a secret password - he goes on a rant about how I shouldn't have to put up with drinking bland beer.

My local is a small rural pub - might only have 10 people in it on a busy night - Guinness, Smithwicks, Heineken and Bulmers on tap - small selection of bottles and a couple of lagers from the local craft brewery.

Eventually he will settle on what the local craft one is - and despite the fact that he has been in this pub numerous times and drank this beer before - he will critique it and explain in detail to anyone who will listen what is wrong with the beer including what they have done wrong in the process.

I even had to listen to him in PMacs one night telling me that their selection was limited and generic ......

I just don't go to pubs with him anymore

I like my craft beer but jesus that's extreme.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is there any truth in the rumour you don’t get a hangover from craft beer as there is a lot less crap put into them?

False.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Some of them are probably easier on the stomach than some of the big, mass-market concoctions, but given that a hangover is basically dehydration I wouldn't think so. Some of the oul' fellas down here say similar about Beamish stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Most definatley not.
    I had a week long headache after drinking one craft red ale.

This reminds me of a time about 10 years ago in a restaurant in West Cork, a well known place in a village near Clon, long before the craft beer thing was happening.

The woman seated opposite me was on the vino, I asked the waiter, who was also the owner what beer he had and got the reply word for word that i will never forget - "we have a eclectic mix of bottled beer".

So what are they? I had to ask.

Budweiser, Carlsberg and Erdinger.

Most definatley not.
    I had a week long headache after drinking one craft red ale.

Crikey, name and shame it? Reason for asking was my friend frank craft beer in Prague and he said not a hangover no matter how much they drank so just a gentle wonderment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I've been avoiding going to any pub with my brother for the last couple of years - he is the most stereotypical craft beer c..t on the plant.

he brews his own muck which 90% of the time is undrinkable ... yet apparently my palate is just underdeveloped.

No matter what pub he ever goes in to the process is the same -- a quick glance at the taps followed by a subtle shake of the head; then he leans in over the bar -- scans the fridges - sharp intake of breath followed by - 'Is this all that you have?' .. when it is pointed out that pubs generally don't have hidden stuff they only sell when a ginger beard requests it with a secret password - he goes on a rant about how I shouldn't have to put up with drinking bland beer.

My local is a small rural pub - might only have 10 people in it on a busy night - Guinness, Smithwicks, Heineken and Bulmers on tap - small selection of bottles and a couple of lagers from the local craft brewery.

Eventually he will settle on what the local craft one is - and despite the fact that he has been in this pub numerous times and drank this beer before - he will critique it and explain in detail to anyone who will listen what is wrong with the beer including what they have done wrong in the process.

I even had to listen to him in PMacs one night telling me that their selection was limited and generic ......

I just don't go to pubs with him anymore

that's gas but i totally get you, when i'm sitting at the bar and some bearded hipster comes in asking for a stupidly named pint of crap for extra money,
    i along with any other normal person at the bar sniggers.

• Advertisement

This reminds me of a time about 10 years ago in a restaurant in West Cork, a well known place in a village near Clon, long before the craft beer thing was happening.

The woman seated opposite me was on the vino, I asked the waiter, who was also the owner what beer he had and got the reply word for word that i will never forget - "we have a eclectic mix of bottled beer".

So what are they? I had to ask.

Budweiser, Carlsberg and Erdinger.

Erdinger made Bud n Carl eclectic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

As a person who drinks a fair bit of craft beer I can assure you, the hangovers exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Your palate probably is unrefined. He shouldn't make you feel bad about it though.
    You won't get any better if you have no interest in improving though.

Effects wrote: »
    ...You won't get any better if you have no interest in improving though.

Y'see, it's statements like that that make me want to take a 330cl bottle of sophisticated, hoppy craft ale with it's vanilla undertones and nuances of snake-droppings and insert it in the brewer. :pac:

Crikey, name and shame it? Reason for asking was my friend frank craft beer in Prague and he said not a hangover no matter how much they drank so just a gentle wonderment.

Quantities could be the deciding factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

No problem being a beer snob, as the only tarnishable thing about that is the"B" word, barely mentioned, conversationally where wine is more appropriately effective. Snobbery isn't the problem, but rather those who don't qualify to breathe the rarefied air of subtler, more genteel objects of desire.

However, Budweiser is a very well achieved brew among the better tongues and noses around. Like anything worth its salt, one needs to let it linger on the buds to fully appreciate the mature result of an impeccably polished process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Its funny people go on about Wine,beer coffee snobs.

But serve half of these people a cup of tea not to their liking and you'll never hear the end of it. They will bang on for about how long the the bag should be in, milk first? barrys or lyons? and god forbid if the water wasnt absolutely boiling in order to totally scald it or if the pot wasnt scalded before hand. This fuss is all over the leftover ****e from teafarms india sent of to the only dopes that will drink it in ireland and the uk, while the decent quality stuff send to countries who actually like the taste of tea leaf (ie not plonk milk and sugar in it)

Same with Guinness drinkers , i love a pint myself but we can be a very fussy bunch.

Now with wine coffee and craft beer the bit that gets me is the descriptive ****e talk which is utter nonsense and in most cases is simply made redundant by the words "here have a sup" and then "do you think its nice or not"

With all liquor particularly whiskey is whether nasty harshness is gone from it an its actually something you can keep on your palate for more than a second, a lot of money years distilling/aging and ****e talk spent just for that.

Also leave the craft and how its made talk to the craftsman

lbj666 wrote: »

But serve half of these people a cup of tea not to their liking and you'll never hear the end of it. They will bang on for about how long the the bag should be in, milk first? barrys or lyons? and god forbid if the water wasnt absolutely boiling in order to totally scald it or if the pot wasnt scalded before hand. This fuss is all over the leftover ****e from teafarms india sent of to the only dopes that will drink it in ireland and the uk, while the decent quality stuff send to countries who actually like the taste of tea leaf (ie not plonk milk and sugar in it)

Same with Guinness drinkers , i love a pint myself but we can be a very fussy bunch.

Now with wine coffee and craft beer the bit that gets me is the descriptive ****e talk which is utter nonsense and in most cases is simply made redundant by the words "here have a sup" and then "do you think its nice or not"

With all liquor particularly whiskey is whether nasty harshness is gone from it an its actually something you can keep on your palate for more than a second, a lot of money years distilling/aging and ****e talk spent just for that.

Barrys.
    Obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

How dare the bar tender off a free sample. I mean the absolute nerve he has.
    Whats next, free crisps?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Butson

Coffee snobs are way worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The tea thing is particularly irritating considering there's feck all difference between the brands.

At least craft beer tastes noticeably different. Often not in a good way to be fair, but still different.

Ordered three pints in Mulligan's on Poolbeg St. a couple of years ago, asked to have them pulled in one shot. Barman refused. Pints didn't really taste great so ended up going elsewhere after the first. Why insist on the two part pour and then serve mediocre pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Your palate probably is unrefined. He shouldn't make you feel bad about it though.
    You won't get any better if you have no interest in improving though.

that is it alright - cos how could something brewed in a back garden not be rancid.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Y'see, it's statements like that that make me want to take a 330cl bottle of sophisticated, hoppy craft ale with it's vanilla undertones and nuances of snake-droppings and insert it in the brewer. :pac:

Why do you need to get so aggressive about people who enjoy things that you don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

as for Guinness - I do buy in to the notion that the environment has a lot to do with the perception of the pint. I usually drink in small little rural pubs with all the usual smells and senses ... old wooden counter, wobble stools, old newspaper clippings and turf fire (even in summer) ... give me the same pint in the lobby of a generic hotel and I probably wouldn't like it at all

Why do you need to get so aggressive about people who enjoy things that you don't?

It irritates me when said people intimate that the fact that I do not enjoy what they enjoy means that I am somehow unworthy, uncultured, unwashed, uneducated, un-this or un-that, or otherwise defective.
    ...You won't get any better if you have no interest in improving though.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That's a bloody big bottle :eek:

It irritates me when said people intimate that the fact that I do not enjoy what they enjoy means that I am somehow unworthy, uncultured, unwashed, uneducated, un-this or un-that, or otherwise defective.

I'm shīte at football. If I played it more often I'd get better. I'm not interested in football or getting better at it. But I don't go around moaning about how crap football is, or complaining about football fans.

You won't get better at tasting more complex flavours unless you try them.
    If you aren't into that, then that's fine. I won't force you into it. Just stop moaning about people that are into it.

that is it alright - cos how could something brewed in a back garden not be rancid.

You're already letting your judgement on how it tastes be clouded by where it's made. I don't know why someone would waste their time trying to get someone like you to enjoy beer more.

• Advertisement

...You won't get better at tasting more complex flavours unless you try them...
    ...I don't know why someone would waste their time trying to get someone like you to enjoy beer more.

Jaysis. Just... Jaysis!! :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement