Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airguns in Ireland: Legal or Illegal?

• 05-11-2004 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hello,

Does anyone know if airguns are legal or illegal in Ireland?

Links to the relevant laws appreciated, if possible.

Someone here should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

All airguns are legal; but also need a firearms licence (yes, even BB guns). They don't in the UK because the UK has a defined lower muzzle energy limit on airguns that need a licence (12 foot-pounds for air rifles, 6 foot-pounds for air pistols; in Germany it's seven joules for air rifles, and so on). We don't have that here, however.

In day-to-day practise, this in effect makes some kinds of airguns illegal - airsoft guns, for example, that don't have barrel numbers would be difficult to get a licence for, and the same applies to BB guns. And without the licence, they're illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

when i was younger i had an airgun, a pistol, it was pretty good and could burst through full cans and stuff. my mother found it and handed it into the gardai, for them to " get rid of ". it ended up with me in the garda station, filling in forms and forms,.........and i got in a lot of ****. they took all my details and it was very bad.....................be warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 NZAI

Thanks for your replies.

Would any of you know what the actual law is? And if I break it... a fine? A slap on the wrist? Jail sentence?

(yes, I know this is a slightly strange question.)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭fiacha

NZAI wrote:
    Thanks for your replies.

Would any of you know what the actual law is? And if I break it... a fine? A slap on the wrist? Jail sentence?

ask your local gardai

NZAI wrote:
    Thanks for your replies.

www.irishstatutebook.ie

You're looking for the 1925 firearms act (and the 1964 firearms act, which bought airguns under the '25 act). As to sentencing, that's usually up to the judge, and it depends on the specific crime. Reckless discharge of a firearm can get up to six years in prison, for example, and for any conviction you can't hold a firearms licence until five years after your sentence ends. Not sure what "mere" unlawful possession would carry as a sentence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

I take it you have an airgun NZAI

What make is it ?

Hi Cribs,

I'm thinking of purchasing one, so I'm weighing up my options.

As for the model, it is -

Marushin Mossberg M500 SSB Shorty 8mm (it's actually a BB gun, but is gas powered.)

Still illegal? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

How are you planning on bringing it into
    the country.

Most companies outside of Ireland wont ship BB Guns to Ireland.
    Are ya plannin on doin a little smuggling :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

NZAI,

You need to be licensed for this weapon and follow the guidelines set down.
    It has no serial number and hence cannot be licensed, if you want to purchase an air weapon go through a dealer, it is both the right and legal thing to do.

woody wrote:
    NZAI,

You need to be licensed for this weapon and follow the guidelines set down.
    It has no serial number and hence cannot be licensed, if you want to purchase an air weapon go through a dealer, it is both the right and legal thing to do.

Thanks Woody.

Do you know any reputable dealers in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Tallaght Rod and Gun shop in golden pages or the Gun Gallery in Drogheda A1.

Tallaght even have a small selection of pistols and other weapons such as when I was last there a Franchini SPAS 12 shotgun legality of this I dunno but twas a nice weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

No particular reason why a SPAS wouldn't be legal.... Why anyone would want one is another question, horribly awkward yoke.
    Marushin Mossberg M500 SSB Shorty 8mm (it's actually a BB gun, but is gas powered.)

It sounds like you might be describing a Airsoft gun there NZAI, if it meets the necessary safety standards (CE or equivalent), it may be classified as a toy and not an airgun - so you'd be free to bring it in.

Civ, the gardai have already confiscated airsoft guns this year and said that they class them as firearms - I can't find the article but I think I've posted it here before, it was in some local paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

That was some idiot kid that shot a little girl in the eye with a bb pistol up in Dublin middle of the year.

BTW the no serial nr thing.If you stamp or engrave a serial no personally to you say; "spks001"At the gun dealer or purchaser.That is good enough for a liscense no belive it or not.
    How you will do it on a hunk of plastic is beyond me.

That is good enough for a liscense no belive it or not.
    Hmmmm.....
    I think you'd wind up getting a fair bit of hassle on that though. Again, it's one of those things that are legal on paper but which you'd wind up having to fight - so the first case ought to be well-planned!

Been there,seen it ,done it,bought the t shirt...er .gun.
    And it is a live firearm.My savage 22mag/20ga is a pre 64 US weapon,with no factory serial no.The current serial no makes no sense whatsoever to the plant or various in the know Savage gun folk. Ergo it must have been done by the first owner or dealer,as it has Bmghm proof marks.
    Also know of two 22lr rifles built by an engineer out in Shannon who built them himself,with self stamped serial nrs and they have been liscensed since the seventies.So it can be done.

And you had no problem getting the savage through customs Glock?

No.I bought it here in Ireland.however the proof marks are Birmingham,so it must have come to Europe/ Ireland or was made pre 1964.As the USA didnt require firearms to be serialised pre 64.The serial numbers are three letters and one number.Stamped under the foregrip in a non factory manner,in a triangular pattern.I dont know the history of the gun or how many owners it has had.
    But the Savage sreial nos from the plant are five digit on the reciver.
    So what I am saying is;that if the weapon has SOME Identifible numbers on it it is acceptable for liscense purpouses.If you are importing the toy thru a gun dealer let it be the makers or the distributors problem.altho most big dealers will run you up a number as they wil have a stamp set or whatnot.

They dont even have to be stamped,[the best method and cleaner]it is acceptable if they are engraved,as i did this myself for my spare slug barrel at the gardai behest.
    But getting back to airsoft weapons,the trouble is the barrels and recivers are soft plastic or pot metal,stamping or engraving is going to be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Michael-O'Neill

Sparks wrote: »
    All airguns are legal; but also need a firearms licence (yes, even BB guns). They don't in the UK because the UK has a defined lower muzzle energy limit on airguns that need a licence (12 foot-pounds for air rifles, 6 foot-pounds for air pistols; in Germany it's seven joules for air rifles, and so on). We don't have that here, however.

In day-to-day practise, this in effect makes some kinds of airguns illegal - airsoft guns, for example, that don't have barrel numbers would be difficult to get a licence for, and the same applies to BB guns. And without the licence, they're illegal.

your wrong airsoft guns and bb guns below 1 joule of velocity are legal without a license i have three and play airsoft occasionally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

your wrong airsoft guns and bb guns below 1 joule of velocity are legal without a license i have three and play airsoft occasionally
    The text you quoted was posted 4 1/2 years ago, and was indeed correct at the time.

Have a bit of a read-up on the various items of firearms legislation enacted in the meantime.

Zombie thread closed.