Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Townland--multiple names--explain?

• 27-11-2018 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

I have ancestors from the townland of Enniscoffey/Caran in Westmeath. Further, Caran was spelled a number of ways by my ancestors and in records. They seem to have used Caran & versions rather than Enniscoffey.

Can anyone explain why this townland has two completely different names? No enlightenment on townlands.ie which says the Irish name was anglicized Inis Cofaigh. Does anyone know what Caran means or where it came from? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I think this is simply because before a certain time place names hadn't yet been formalised.

As an example here's an extract from a memorial from the Registry of Deeds I transcribed a while ago where the various spellings of townlands are given. My transcription is incomplete not just because the document was hard to read but also because I wasn't able to find other references to the earlier variations of the place names involved.
    The castle, mansion house, town and lands of Foxhall, otherwise Ratherlough otherwise Rathreagh, Corsebullaghs otherwise
    Com_ebullaghs otherwise Commebullaghs or Corabola Rossart, Aughadrussagh otherwise Carrick__amill, Aghaneskeoge otherwise
    Anoghanliskoge, Claghamore otherwise Claghamore otherwise Cloghnamore or Cloghamore, Aghnakelly otherwise Aglinakelly otherwise
    Aghanakelly, Aghanregby otherwise Aghnemecloge, Aghande__y, Cloghame, Rath, Clondamogh and Carduff, the towns and lands of
    Cloghiggin otherwise Cloghen otherwise Oghaneaslau otherwise Aughorslane otherwise Sillinreagh otherwise Skillianreagh otherwise Clygeen
    otherwise Cloghger and Smithfield, the town and lands of Aghavanagh otherwise Portmahon otherwise Newport, Aghnasiloge, Newtown,
    Carigin otherwise Carrageen, Killeencrobagh otherwise Killen, Kinnard or Killeen and Kinnard Largie otherwise Lurgee otherwise Lurgan,
    Tonebegg otherwise Sca__an Slyaun otherwise S___anmogg, Clonferrock, Slyan Sankey, Furze and the rectorial tithes of the parish of
    Foxhall otherwise Rathreagh all situate, lying and being in the Barony of Ardagh and County of Longford

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tombom1

pinkypinky wrote: »

beat me to it,i presume the numbers and abbreviations on the right are sources how do i find these?I usually just type in google and hope for the best to try and find them usually the older names are in latin books.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Thanks for these suggestions. I had looked at logainm.ie but all seem to be versions of Enniscoffey. Does Caran mean anything in Irish? Google Translate says 'pretty'. Any truth to that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

VirginiaB wrote: »
    Thanks for these suggestions. I had looked at logainm.ie but all seem to be versions of Enniscoffey. Does Caran mean anything in Irish? Google Translate says 'pretty'. Any truth to that?

It would depend on how it is pronounced.
    It could be from carn meaning a heap or pile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Caran, caraun, a rocky place.
    Caran, carran, rocky land or a shaped like reaping hook.
    Caran, carrán, rocky land.
    Caran, chairn, a carn or grave monument.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Very helpful--thanks. I have seen it spelled Caraun so maybe that's it. I'll have to check it out to see if it is a rocky place or has a rock of note there. You're all a mine of great info.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,046 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

VirginiaB wrote: »
    Very helpful--thanks. I have seen it spelled Caraun so maybe that's it. I'll have to check it out to see if it is a rocky place or has a rock of note there\.
    What townland does not? :)

Advertisement