Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we stop bullying the United Kingdom?

Comments

That is not true at all, they have done a lot of work.

This year, a lot of it has been on the QT to avoid giving the Brits ideas.

4661f8d4585911c22c0149b2f4c11e6e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Thomas_IV wrote: »
    Second, it will be the 'Little Englanders' who will regret this Brexit folly sooner than they even might think.
    Might be crediting them with too much self-awareness, there. "Tis but a flesh wound!"
    Third, it looks that Brexit UK has no real friends, not even 'Trumple the Donald MAGA'.

Especially not him. He'll "generously" grant a sh!tty trade deal involving them taking their (literally) sh!tty food standards. And demand they lavish sycophantic praise on him for doing so.

There'll be talk of "free" trade, but he's all about crass mercantilism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

No. We are looking out for our interests and so are they. Northern Ireland rarely entered their head during this discussing. They haven't given much thought to what is currently apart of the UK, So why then would they give a **** about Ireland? I lived with a guy from London who said his mother from Ireland and his father from Turkey.

Yet the only thing linking him to these islands was his Irish mother. Given the chance he would belittle Irish people in everway, Talking about we've no motorways etc. He was very against anything Irish. No other person in the house got on with this guy.

He was never employed while i lived there (Three years) I Lived with this guy for three years but it was at the end that i saw the real him and he was a ****. He now lives in spain. **** him and ***** like him rule britannia as they say. They will belittle us as they see fit(Not all but some)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Berserker wrote: »
    How do you know about it then?

I am not saying it's classified top secret, I'm saying varadkar told his officials not to generate publicity about the plans being made.

But as an instance, in July they started hiring 1000 extra customs officials.

Here is Faisal Islam on twitter reporting on a Govt event in Galway to promote supply chain diversification, with cash money for businesses to help with Brexit.

There is a lot of this work ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

And nothing is being done to prepare for that scenario. I called a no-deal Brexit and a hard border on day one. It was the the only realistic end game, once the British people voted to leave. The Irish government have had years to prepare for this but they've done nothing about the impact that it is going to have on the daily life of people here. I was talking to a lady who works in the agribusiness sector at the weekend and she is very concerned about what is going to happen when the hard Brexit kicks in. She finds it hard to see how her company will be able to avoid redundancies, given the reduction in trade and the increase in costs for their business.

You "called it" on day one and were ignored. That's terrible behaviour by the powers that be.

• Advertisement

Should we stop bullying the United Kingdom?

No. The British in their relentless jingoism have unequivocally declared economic war on us and whatever "deal" is struck here will have wide-ranging consequences for our society well into the future. Make them pay every cent of the chaos they, and they alone, have created.

And the Irish shouldn't feel guilty. After all, tucked away in the Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921 was a clause saying that the Irish must pay for all the destruction in Ireland from the 1916 Rising on, even though the British obviously inflicted most of it, as the Irish were leaving. There's our precedent. What goes around comes around.

No. The British in their relentless jingoism have unequivocally declared economic war on us and whatever "deal" is struck here will have wide-ranging consequences for our society well into the future. Make them pay every cent of the chaos they, and they alone, have created.

And the Irish shouldn't feel guilty. After all, tucked away in the Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921 was a clause saying that the Irish must pay for all the destruction in Ireland from the 1916 Rising on, even though the British obviously inflicted most of it, as the Irish were leaving. There's our precedent. What goes around comes around.

Poetic licence applied on the part of OP, somehow we were not a British dominion but a belligerent big brother. Yep, the cognitive dissonance is rife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Poetic licence applied on the part of OP, somehow we were not a British dominion but a belligerent big brother. Yep, the cognitive dissonance is rife.

Dublin was been the empire's first oversea's capital. It held a very lofty position in the empire and was most definitely a candidate for the second city. Stop playing the poor mouth. The public transport system in place in 1916 was probably better than it is today.

Dublin was been the empire's first oversea's capital. It held a very lofty position in the empire and was most definitely a candidate for the second city. Stop playing the poor mouth. The public transport system in place in 1916 was probably better than it is today.

The empire indeed, and should we not be grateful to be accorded such venerable status. At least we usurped some beastly outpost in Africa under crown's civilising arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Dublin was the 2nd city in the empire till 1801, then became a slum upon the Act of Union which was imposed against its will. We all know what happened after that.

• Advertisement

klaaaz wrote: »
    Dublin was the 2nd city in the empire till 1801, then became a slum upon the Act of Union which was imposed against its will. We all know what happened after that.

Parts were likes slum, the same could be said for any major city. Great to see that you've rectified all that since your independence, oh wait!! There were some very well to do parts of Dublin back then.
    The empire indeed, and should we not be grateful to be accorded such venerable status. At least we usurped some beastly outpost in Africa under crown's civilising arm.

Well, when you consider some of the major cities that you were grouped with around the world for that accolade, I would think so. Dublin is no bigger than a district in most of those cities. You weren't under any arm, you were part of it.

Parts were likes slum, the same could be said for any major city. Great to see that you've rectified all that since your independence, oh wait!! There were some very well to do parts of Dublin back then.

The majority part was a slum. the minority part which was well to do was occupied by a Unionist planter minority who co-incidentally opposed the 1916 rising.

Seeing as you say that "you've rectified" means that you are looking downward on Ireland's capital city an inward looking. Guess in your mind that the Irish were not capable of independence , ya know ruling themsleves as they were seen as an inferior race in your British empire's eyes

klaaaz wrote: »
    Seeing as you say that "you've rectified" means that you are looking downward on Ireland's capital city an inward looking. Guess in your mind that the Irish were not capable of independence , ya know ruling themsleves as they were seen as an inferior race in your British empire's eyes

Never looked upon as inferior, that's all in your head and given the "state of the nation" in 2018 and what has gone in the independent Ireland, I would question your ability to rule. I can point to any number of things such as your child abuse scandals, current housing crisis or repeated economic collapses which have resulted in Irish citizens flocking to that very same empire for a living in their droves, interestingly enough.

Never looked upon as inferior, that's all in your head and given the "state of the nation" in 2018 and what has gone in the independent Ireland, I would question your ability to rule. I can point to any number of things such as your child abuse scandals, current housing crisis or repeated economic collapses which have resulted in Irish citizens flocking to that very same empire for a living in their droves, interestingly enough.

Noticeably you point to Ireland's past scandals but never to your British empire's own scandal, yeh you're hiding alot of that stuff!

Oh we forgot that the UK is an absolute paradise to live in, the ultimate utopia!

To be fair, Public transport in 1816 was probably better than today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Legend has it that were plans for an underground and Collins was said to have said that he'd have held off the war of independence till they'd built it.

1922 tram lines map makes me weep.

But Dublin was where the Royal Navy came to be serviced. Not the ships. The sailors. Because extreme poverty.

In 1916 the Great Famine was still within living memory. The 1913 lockout wasn't exactly old news either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Well, when you consider some of the major cities that you were grouped with around the world for that accolade, I would think so. Dublin is no bigger than a district in most of those cities. You weren't under any arm, you were part of it.

Ireland's infant mortality rate under the union was noted as being possibly the worst in the (western) world, so not really like any other major city

• Registered Users Posts: 25,990 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Parts were likes slum, the same could be said for any major city.
    It wasn't "the same as could be said for any major city". Dublin was famous for having the worst slums in Europe, with the possible exception of Naples.
    Just after independence 25% of the population of Dublin lived in accommodation where there was one room or less per family. And this in a country - the UK - which was, at the time, the wealthiest country in the world.
    Great to see that you've rectified all that since your independence, oh wait!!
    Be honest; you have absolutely no idea what has been achieved in housing in Dublin since independence, have you?
    There were some very well to do parts of Dublin back then.
    That rather depends on your definition of "very well to do", I think. But if your measure of social progress is how well the wealthiest in society live, well, that suggests that the attitudes which led to Ireland-in-the-UK being widely regarded as the worst governed country in Europe have not entirely died out in some quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It wasn't "the same as could be said for any major city". Dublin was famous for having the worst slums in Europe, with the possible exception of Naples.
    Just after independence 25% of the population of Dublin lived in accommodation where there was one room or less per family. And this in a country - the UK - which was, at the time, the wealthiest country in the world.

Be honest; you have absolutely no idea what has been achieved in housing in Dublin since independence, have you?

That rather depends on your definition of "very well to do", I think. But if your measure of social progress is how well the wealthiest in society live, well, that suggests that the attitudes which led to Ireland-in-the-UK being widely regarded as the worst governed country in Europe have not entirely died out in some quarters.

Peregrinus, stop bullying that poster with facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

I think OP's friend is being a tad over-sensitive there. I'm speaking as a Brit myself, btw, so don't mistake this for any Brit-bashing. The British have brought this down on their own heads. They voted for the disaster that is Brexit, they didn't spare a thought for how this would affect Northern Ireland and now they're stuck with the most hopeless and ineffectual government in the country's history. Ever!

In my defence as one of these poor deluded fools myself, I live in the north (of Ireland) and I voted remain. I'm a "remoaner" and will be until I cark it. Honestly, in England in particular, I just don't know what's going on any more. They've all gone mad. Completely mad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The cost of Brexit to the UK so far is £26Bn a year in lost tax revenues.

That's more than NI and EU put together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Brextremists on the ropes, now is the time to double down on the bullying, shake Dunce Davis by the ankles and collect his € & £ liquid lunch money.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Drg3OzNX0AAcfmM.jpg

Star Trek foresaw this :pac:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In the immortal words of Mark Wahlberg: "I'm the best friend you have on this earth you punk and I'm gonna help you understand something"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Aye. All those scandals. Almost as bad as Amritsar, Suez, Sykes-Picot, Balfour's simultaneous promises to Jews and Arabs, the Zinoviev letter, women and children deceived into travelling in wartime in a ship carrying munitions (Lusitania), forcible transportation of kids to Australia 1920s-1950s (did you mention child abuse?), Derrymandering, Kincora, Churchill's forced famine in India, Dresden, Chuka, Batang Kali, Yarrow (did you mention economic collapse?), the councillor who told Seamus Mallon "no Papist pig will get a house in this town while I'm alive" (did you mention housing?), Aberfan, Profumo, Churchill perpetually pissed amid denigration of the "drunken Irish", the Kray twins and their influential friends, Jeremy Thorpe and Norman Scott, Lord Denning's "appalling vista" coming to fruition, the Guildford Four getting the benefit of "the fairest system of justice in the world", Bloody Sunday and the whitewash, multiple Tory sleazebags in the 1980s and 1990s, the BBC (did you mention child sex abuse?), the Elgin marbles, Cambridge Analytica, RCs barred from the headship of state.

Keep it up, Berserker. King and country, right or wrong,

Drg3OzNX0AAcfmM.jpg

Star Trek foresaw this :pac:

:pac:

You somehow persist with your bullsh1t assertion that we are subjugating the UK with our common sense stance against regressive borders, ushering in the good old days when bombs and indiscriminate murders were fashionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Varadkar has just declared victory. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Varadkar has just declared victory. :pac:

Being Irish and Indian he has two good historical reasons to be happy with his win.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's going to be a **** storm of arguments and people resigning tomorrow.

The UK has proved one thing to Europe, they suck at negotiations and are great at in fighting to the point where they'd rather rip the country a part then take the actions that would benefit them most (allow the people to vote on the proposed clusterf**k of a plan or remain in EU )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Cabaal wrote: »
    It's going to be a **** storm of arguments and people resigning tomorrow.

The UK has proved one thing to Europe, they suck at negotiations and are great at in fighting to the point where they'd rather rip the country a part then take the actions that would benefit them most (allow the people to vote on the proposed clusterf**k of a plan or remain in EU )

Are you sure about that? If the UK were so poor at negotiations, why did this take so long?

And how is this going to rip the UK apart? The UK is leaving the EU.

Advertisement