Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jamal Khashoggi killed in Saudi embassy.

• 17-10-2018 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I haven't seen a thread about this so I thought I'd post one.

Warning: the first link is pretty nasty.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/khashoggi-s-fingers-severed-in-brutal-interrogation-1.3666974

Here's the latest from the guardian.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/17/jamal-khashoggi-pompeo-to-meet-erdogan-as-gory-reports-of-killing-emerge

What's unexpected for me isn't the brutality and the nastiness of it all. I think it's horrible but Saudi is a horrible country and I kind of expect it. They are an absolute monarchy that rules by terror and oppression. But I'd only expect it inside the country.

What gets me is how they broke so many diplomatic norms. Normally these horrible places abuse their own citizens but they tend not to do it outside of their borders. When they do, they try their best to avoid tying it back to themselves and give themselves plausible deniability. In this case they couldn't care less.

It's also surprising how the west is responding to this and not responding to what saudi are doing in Yemen. I think it's because of the diplomatic consequences. It'd be nice to see the west stand up to them for once but I wonder how much will actually be done and if there will be any consequences. What do you guys think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Trump would love so early to be able do the same, nothing will happen.

• All the hysteria about Salisbury, Russians and Novichok. Careful now we don't want to damage the arms sales to the Saudis. They might be horrible f*ckers, but they're OUR horrible f*ckers.......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am sure it was just rogue elements- that will be the least bad explanation America and the House of Saud will eventually come to in order to maintain their special relationship.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Trump would love so early to be able do the same, nothing will happen.

But wouldn't which is the point of the thread. It shows an arrogance or lack of awareness that they did this in Turkey. Certainly a strange one but I cannot see any consequences for the country itself. 9/11 proved that noone would stand up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Western involvement in Yemen and Syria is dependent on influence from both Saudi Arabia and Israel. Both are anti Iran.

I’ve yet to see Yemen make the headlines.

Con Coughlin of the telegraph is generally seen as an official mouthpiece.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/16/khashoggi-case-troubling-must-not-burn-bridges-saudi-allies/

So nothing will happen.

• Advertisement

From what I can read of Coughlins piece he’s somehow convolutely blaming Qatar for this.

Edit. A few days ago Coughlin wants a war against Russia.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/10/britain-afraid-make-stand-against-putins-clownish-cronies/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

US hypocrisy really is something to behold. I think the reported audios of torture and fingers being cut off is a subtle message to journalists not to push to hard with this story.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/no-coincidence-saudi-arabia-delivers-us100m-to-us-after-trump-s-rogue-killers-rationale-20181017-p50a5j.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Its all going as expected. The G-7 nations have expressed "concern", the UN wants a "full inquiry" ..... the media will soon receive their instructions to ramp up even more anti-Russia hysteria and after a couple of weeks it will Khashoggi who?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

No outcry from the media.

It’s not Russia nor Iran. It’s those loveable Islamic extremists. The women hating beheaders.

The friends of the US and British establishments who like to lecture us all on human rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Sickening the way Trump is trying to downplay it, I would have expected him to at least have the courage to call it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Aaron Shaggy Ointment

Sickening the way Trump is trying to downplay it, I would have expected him to at least have the courage to call it out.

Money talks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Money talks!

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Horrible repulsive regime. When they’re not bombing and starving their neighbours in Yemen they’re funding Salafist Islam and terrorism over here. Utterly backed to the hilt by the US and Britain et al as well, which makes a total mockery of any pretence toward a “war on terror” or anything else.

This is about oil nothing else. It’s embarassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

19 of the 24 hijackers of 911 were from Saudi

Osama Bin Laden was a Saudi Prince.

They own the republican party in america.

Nothing will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I would have expected him to at least have the courage to call it out.

To be fair to him, he basically said "there's 500bn of business on the line, so we are going to take a good hard look before jumping to conclusions"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Nothing will happen.

Saudis have the world in their grasp with our addiction to oil.

Only reason we put up with that despotic state is because we need their resources.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

3DataModem wrote: »
    To be fair to him, he basically said "there's 500bn of business on the line, so we are going to take a good hard look before jumping to conclusions"

Watch the Saudi guy smiling as Trump drools over the money.

Not everything comes back to Trump.

19 of the 24 hijackers of 911 were from Saudi

Osama Bin Laden was a Saudi Prince.

They own the republican party in america.

Nothing will happen.

Obama started Yemen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The Saudi's are a bunch of degenerates that won the geological lottery.

They could have changed the world for the better and advanced science and technology and really helped mankind.

Instead they buy super cars and fund terror.

The sooner the oil runs out and they are back herding camels, the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Let us know when Rich Boy and Murphy hold the protest at the Saudi embassy or is that only for the Israel and US. embassy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Edgware wrote: »
    Let us know when Rich Boy and Murphy hold the protest at the Saudi embassy or is that only for the Israel and US. embassy

I'm on tenterhooks waiting for the pox Daly and that scruffy twat Wallace to go and protest the next flight in from Riyadh myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,059 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Why would you expect trump to have the courage to do something that is against the best interests of his family? Has he ever done that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Edgware wrote: »

So if somebody protests about one thing they have to protest against everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So if somebody protests about one thing they have to protest against everything?
    Bang on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Grayson wrote: »
    It's also surprising how the west is responding to this and not responding to what saudi are doing in Yemen. I think it's because of the diplomatic consequences. It'd be nice to see the west stand up to them for once but I wonder how much will actually be done and if there will be any consequences. What do you guys think.

I think most of the western leaders couldn't give a toss about diplomatic consequences to be honest. It's economic consequences they're concerned about.

(other thread on this here : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057918789&page=7)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Zebra3 wrote: »

No but they don't have to be craven hypocrites like RBB.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Nothing will happen.

The Saudis were behind 911 ffs and the yanks responded by bombing their enemies into the stone age for them.

They couldn't give a rats arse about some Turkish reporter!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

3DataModem wrote: »

Not quite the line he took before starting trade wars ("good and easy to win!") with China and most of what are supposedly his closest allies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

They couldn't give a rats arse about some Turkish reporter!

Except he wasn't 'some Turkish reporter' he was a Saudi reporter living in the US working for the Washington Post.

Not that I think it will make much of a difference to how much they care. It might make a little bit of difference to how much they pretend to care.

But whereas if he had been 'some Turkish reporter*' it would have taken a few days to get over the 'outrage' I think now it might actually take a few weeks.

Then it'll be back to business as usual. (And I don't mean that business as a metaphor either)

*Turkish reporters disappear all the time

Advertisement