Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rock on, Rockall! (it's back)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

listermint wrote: »
    Yeah ok.

Enjoy the pints

aye right

enjoy the bitter lemon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

Nobelium wrote: »
    Fishing rights/administration for Scotland has been devolved to the Scottish Government by the British Parliament.

Scotland is one of the most sectarian countries in the world.

- There's certain loyalist Scottish elements that can be the most anti Irish and sectarian when they start.

The clueless out of touch Dublin government need to wakey wakey on this one.

What the **** are you on about?

circadian wrote: »
    What the **** are you on about?

why would I start explaining anything to someone who can't string a sentence together without cursing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

why would I start explaining anything to someone who can't string a sentence together without cursing ?

Why wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

policarp wrote: »
    Who owns Rockall?

There was a deranged Englishman who landed on the rock a good few years ago and claimed it for the U.K.

So who has jurisdiction over Rockall?
    I actually thought this was settled in the 80’s by the UN or someone and that it’s Irish waters under international law ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Just a few months ago the UK sailed a warship around the little islands in the south China sea to let the Chinese know they didn't recognise China's claims to them.

Now bizarrely they themselves claim a disputed rock in the Atlantic in a similar manner!

Oh those western hypocracies... always,don't do as we do but do as we say :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

We can fire a few missiles, like North Korea.

Oh wait, we don't have any.

Yes we do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Yes we do

I'm sure it's illegal to disturb the Birds there...it's nesting season now.

Can't have the war until that's finished :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If Ireland sends two OPV's to the island what is Scotland going to do about it?

Serious question.

The UK is not going to do anything about it due it's problems with the EU and Scotland is part of the UK so I don't see how a Scottish government could unilaterally do anything tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

• Advertisement

policarp wrote: »

its disputed, Britain (devolved to Scottish government now) say they do, Ireland says it's international waters

its disputed, Britain (devolved to Scottish government now) say they do, Ireland says it's international waters

So it,s like the Faulklands, we,ll have to fight over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Basically we are the closest country as a whole, Scotland are the closest if you include their islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Rockall and its waters shall be split in twain, the one half thereof allotted to Ireland, the other to Scotland.

That is my decision. Go in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Rockall and its waters shall be split in twain, the one half thereof allotted to Ireland, the other to Scotland.

Peace be with you too , Father.

Judge Rinder?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The birds that live on Rockall are quite loud and fat so I guess the Scots could probably claim them as their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Declare war on Scotland so. We've never declared war before on another country - It will he like old times when Gael fought Gael...

But Scotland has no navy so how can we declare a war?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

But Scotland has no navy so how can we declare a war?:confused:

Exactly. Braveheart didn't involve a navy - but the FCA still braved their arses ;)

https://www.thejournal.ie/mel-gisbon-braveheart-extras-1654169-Sep2014/

The heads of them

[Url]htts://youtu.be/5vShQ3gQVPk[/url] ..

• Advertisement

So if UK naval vessels arrest Irish fishing vessels I presume we will be sending our own naval vessels?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The UK will/should send out a submarine

gctest50 wrote: »
    The UK will/should send out a submarine

Ireland will send out . . . er . . .let's see . . .panti bliss ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Ireland will send out . . . er . . .let's see . . .panti bliss ?

:)

What's long, hard, full of seamen and f*cks Irish fishing boats ?

https://www.thejournal.ie/shelga-state-papers-1984-1837788-Jan2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

how about this, the UK gets the entire northern third of our island and we get a tiny rock in the north sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

they still have the Trident nuclear submarines though

No they don't. The UK government has those. The Scottish government have strongly worded letters and an inflatable dinghy.

We are part of the European Union - whose fishermen also fish there.

If the Scots arrest our fishermen then we should send just one OPV and arrest theirs.

Although I am still at a loss as to how Scotland intends to enforce something they have zero capability of doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Being served enforcement action by the Scottish Government feels a bit like the international relations equivalent of being served enforcement action by your local community council.

No offence lads, but you're not a real country and it's not a real government, so just go away will ya.

Maybe if they ask their (soon to be) new leader Boris nicely, he might give the issue a mention while he's giving away their fishing rights in return for a few crumbs from the EU table after Brexit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I hope they've learned from their Cod War experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Cant see the threat by Scotland coming to much. But then again if the Irish government did anything sensible to help their own fishermen it will be a first. Let's hope it doesn't come to our leaders to look for a compromise.

Advertisement