Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Hard to believe to change so much later. Lovely skies in Meath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

BBC weather just now has a lot of snow and strong winds in Leinster from Storm Freya

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Mist has started here in cork city and its a bit chilly as well.

Just saw the UKMO graphic of storm Freya (didn't even know this was coming, too busy with exams!) It showed strong enough winds for us down here but was that just a graphical error? Not really heard much about it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mortelaro wrote: »
    BBC weather just now has a lot of snow and strong winds in Leinster from Storm Freya

For when that be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Mortelaro wrote: »

The gfs run that mountain weather.com use doesnt show much snow even for the top of lug on sunday yet.

474317.JPG

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Lugnaquilla/forecasts/925

The gfs run that mountain weather.com use doesnt show much snow even for the top of lug on sunday yet.

474317.JPG

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Lugnaquilla/forecasts/925

Its definitely a graphics glitch
    Somebody must have pressed the wrong button
    It's still on the 1pm graphics but nothing's mentioned except wind
    Embarrassing for meteogroup

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dark and wet start to Spring in Castlebar.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

was a fantastic day till about 2pm with long spells of warm sunshine. Cloudy now with Atlantic muck not far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

*ring ring*

"999, what's your emergency?"

"Hello, yes, there is wet stuff falling from the sky and i'm frightened..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

My Spring 2019 forecast will be a short one due to a lack of research (thanks to the US government shutdown back in Dec/Jan which put a large debt into it) and more gut feeling or completely guessing than anything else. Of course, I'll be reviewing the Winter one when all stats come in (safe to say it was rather good outside of February for the UK but for Ireland, quite poor).

March is looking like a wetter than average month largely dominated by Atlantic depressions driven by a stronger than average jet stream which is the culmination of a very organised Polar Vortex. Maybe on the relatively cool side but nothing exceptional. Possibility of something warmer/drier later on could offset the fairly cool conditions.

I feel April will be a dry month for most with high pressure returning bringing warmer conditions too. Maybe not quite April 2017 dry standard but dry enough away from possibly the northwest where there could be some rain at times from the jet stream close by.

I feel May will be a cool and wet month. The last time we saw a cool and wet May was 2015. Nature has to balance out sometime with an unsettled May and I think May 2019 will be the one. Although, I do think there could be some notable warmth at one point in May similar to the previous two Mays despite being dominated by cool and wet conditions for the most part.

Overall, a rather average Spring temperature wise with a wet (maybe even very wet) March and wet May offsetting the dry April giving a rather wet Spring.

Just for fun (cannot emphasise this enough).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

March could well be our wettest month since last November, looks very unsettled with no shortage of rain over the next 2 weeks. March 2018 was also incredibly wet with high rainfall totals.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gonzo wrote: »
    March could well be our wettest month since last November, looks very unsettled with no shortage of rain over the next 2 weeks. March 2018 was also incredibly wet with high rainfall totals.

Sort of need it!

January/February were very dry (here in Dublin).

I want to use my hose in July! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Have just had my wettest day of the year so far. A staggering 9.2mm

awful day here in Meath, looking at the radar rain is covering nearly the entire country. We could well be in for another very wet and highly unsettled March.

Latest ensemble runs looks like delivering plenty of rain over the next 2 weeks

ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=201&run=6&date=2019-03-02&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=

another wet and quite chilly day tomorrow, could be some wintry precipitations on mountains as the rain clears.

39-574UK.GIF?02-6

This is why I scored February a 7/10, despite missing out on cold and snow, we got my second favourite solution, dry, settled, sunny and very mild. There is nothing I hate more than day after day of rain and cold rain, a typical raging Atlantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Awful awful day. The few days we got during the week are such rare moments. Really enjoyed them even if I was in work but today is a horrible day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Despite a wet morning its now a nice bright dry afternoon here in Castlebar

just had some biblical rain about 20 minutes ago, lost all tv channels and gutters overflowing. Rain starting to ease now, but an absolutely miserable afternoon, not a day to be outside at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

brightening up in cork city, but still fairly windy.

• Advertisement

brightening up in cork city, but still fairly windy.

Stopped here now too after some awful rain. Have a bad feeling about March actually but thankfully heading away for 10 days.

I don't mind a poor March and April, best to get a raging Atlantic out of the way during Spring to something much calmer and settled by May/June.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I don't mind a poor March and April, best to get a raging Atlantic out of the way during Spring to something much calmer and settled by May/June.

I think in this country we have to take the good weather whenever it comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Despite a wet morning its now a nice bright dry afternoon here in Castlebar

It's a big difference, nearly 15mm of rain this morning, still blustery though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

4pm
    Mace head gusting 53 knots
    Belmullet gusting 52 knots
    Newport gusting 52 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Very blustery in Dublin 13 with some heavy outbursts of rain, fairly strong gusts every now and then and some sunny spells. Not the nicest of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Awful start to spring here in Letterkenny, pouring rain all yesterday afternoon and again up until 2pm today. Heavy showers and strong winds now, more wintry than most of the actual winter was

could be some surprise sleet or very wet snow in places tomorrow, particularly midlands and high ground. I doubt anything will stick at lower levels. Could be the first flakes since last March in some areas.

hirlamuk-1-30-0.png?02-17

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I'll jump up and down with excitement if I see a flake of snow after the worst winter that I can remember. I would say 2016-17 was worse because of how dull it was but that had snow at least. I hope we get a Spring 2016 (or 2018 but we aren't going to get the same amount of snow as then) repeat.

• Advertisement

I’d love a nice mild dry sunny spring.

Advertisement