Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mystery Holiday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Anyone taking a punt on this:
    https://www.livingsocial.ie/deal/escapes/11903312/mystery-getaway-voucher

I like the idea, only 5 out of 1000 breaks are the long haul options, so very slim chance of getting that, but plenty of the Tier 3,4,5 breaks are places I'd like to go anyway.

Full list of destinations here:
    https://www.livingsocial.ie/page/mystery-holiday-voucher-july

Is it just flights? Can't see any mention of accommodation, interesting idea though, a lot of those European breaks are on my to do so wouldn't mind if I got something close with the chance of a long haul trip possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

they give the names of hotels, so I take it the hotel is included

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭adam240610

Looks pretty tempting to be honest, if be happy with almost anything in the tiers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'd be tempted alright.
    My only problem would be my own over logical thought that if they're able to run it all at s profit then a big chunk of the holidays must become worth less than the price you pay.
    On the other hand they all seem like decent little breaks and I would like the mystery element of it.

Not sure we could offload the kids for 3 nights just yet though, so might have to consider it as a gift for somebody instead...

Looking forward to hearing how it works out for anybody who does take the plunge

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Most of these are 2 nights! whats the point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Sounds like you get a flight and (?)two nights in a hotel. I'd be wary of what else you might be expected to pay for - the site is very scarce on additional info. As a rule, I don't do business with any company that advertises "from" prices and then tells you that you must buy at least two (in this case) and then there's an unavoidable admin fee on top.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I suspect there's a lot of trips to Krakow and Riga in there.

You can book European breaks for fairly cheap and know where you're going. e.g. With Click&Go you can book 4 nights in Prague + flights for the same price (when you count L&S's sneaky admin fee.)

It's a bit of a raffle. But if you don't "win" a long haul you're not really getting a bargain as a softener.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Sounds like you get a flight and (?)two nights in a hotel. I'd be wary of what else you might be expected to pay for - the site is very scarce on additional info. As a rule, I don't do business with any company that advertises "from" prices and then tells you that you must buy at least two (in this case) and then there's an unavoidable admin fee on top.

The from in this case is "From €119" as July and August breaks are €159.

Admin fee is a fiver?

But yes, minimum of 2 vouchers must be purchased

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Feck it, I'll give it a bash, if its **** or ive been there I'll gift to it to someone else :D The wifes parents Xmas presents sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

sounds like a crap deal tbh, most eu flights depart mid day from Dublin which means one day wasted just arriving late at hotel.

for 300e if booked few months in advance prob wouldn't be hard to find flights and semi decent hotel to stay for 4-7 days somewhere in Europe for 2 people.

then add food, airport transfers and thats another 100e burned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭Shedite27

From reading up on it, there are a few complaints whereby a 2 night trip involves and evening flight out, and a morning flight back, so you really only get a day in City x.

And yes, you do have to buy 2 (otherwise I suspect they'd have to charge a single supplement on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

have looked at these things a few times, but never had the balls to go for it.

also have looked into srprs.me which seems decent, if not a little more expensive than you might hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Dades wrote: »
    I suspect there's a lot of trips to Krakow and Riga in there.
    The volume of breaks to each City are listed on the T&C's

63 to Krakow and 49 to Riga (out of 2000). 81 to Milan and 76 to Venice are the most popular.

Just plucked the Munich one for a midweek October break as a random sample.
    Living Social price is €119 * 2 + €5 so €243

The hotel on a random October week is €125 total.
    Flights are currency €55/per person.
    So the non-deal price is €240

Really you're paying for the "mystery" bit, and the lottery chance of winning the big ticket items

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Ok, now i'm very frightened. i literally just got an email from srprs.me :O

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Wheety wrote: »
    The from in this case is "From €119" as July and August breaks are €159.

Yeah, but you can't buy one for €119, you have to buy two minimum - there isn't even an option to pay a single room supplement.
    Shedite27 wrote: »
    From reading up on it, there are a few complaints whereby a 2 night trip involves and evening flight out, and a morning flight back, so you really only get a day in City x.
    T&Cs say For 2 night stays, you will have a minimum of 40 hours at the destination, for 3 night stays, you will have a minimum of 60 hours at the destination.

Again, it's a bit vague whether that 40 hours starts as soon as the plane lands, or when you arrive at the hotel reception, but either way it doesn't really give you enough info to be able to plan things properly. I'd be worried that it'd be a late evening flight on both legs, so you'd arrive late, get one full day, then have to check out of the hotel at 11am and spend the rest of the day being in "going home" mode.

Nah, not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

I'd never deal with this crowd again. They sell vouchers as they are not regulated by any current Irish law. We bought a voucher to use recently, ended up not being able to use within window due to serious illness at the time, after the first 14 days they will offer no refund or exchange only points for their site. These point can only be used off 15% of the cost of other vouchers. In other words spend over 1k to get your original voucher value back. It's a total racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Christ 20 hours both ways on a plane for 1 week in Thailand.

And the days your flying are counted so 5 days, not a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

You are guaranteed 60hrs at location on the 3 night trip which I’m sure starts when wheels touch down then ends when wheels up. Factoring in travel time in NYC for example, time you need to be in the airport at before departure the 60 hours is closer early 50’s

Then the opera house hotel is in the Bronx. And what’s the bet you’ll be given that hotel not the one on E 40th. Who the fcuk wants to go to NYC and be dumped in the Bronx.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Did something similar a couple of years back. Was a trip within Ireland though.

Ended up in the direct provision centre in mosney. Good times

Advertisement