Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What would be the most offensive word in the English language now?

• 25-02-2019 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭

From the last few years, I'd say it has to be the 'N' word.
    (Afraid to type it in case it isn't censored properly on Boards and the Gardai come to arrest me).

It would likely have been the cnut word for many folk, but since I heard it a handful of times in the Oscar nominated 'The Favourite', it seems to be going mainstream.

I watched a news piece the other day about police racism in England since the Stephen Lawrence murder, and a black man actually said something like "back then walking down the street I would have been called the n word".

So its now so offensive that even black people aren't allowed to say the word when explaining a situation. Was this black man afraid that the internet would turn on him for using it??

Will we ever hear the full word uttered again, or is simply going to become "the n word".

Comments

NIMAN wrote: »
    From the last few years, I'd say it has to be the 'N' word.

NIMAN?

Twink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Depends whether you are.

Call someone a c**t in America and you'll get a lot of disgusted looks. Call someone a c**t in Cork and you'll be best mates for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Probably ****, ******, ******, ****, ****, or ***************

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Moist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Cüntwart

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Minge, furburger, beef curtains, pork portcullis and kebab, in no particular order. Note that these may or may not be moist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

An incorrect pronoun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Twunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Him and her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

the N word ?
    Yes nigger is quite an offensive word - but remember it's all about context!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

the N word ?

Exactly.

I still would have liked to hear the black man on C4 News the other night use it, after all, its what he was being called as he walked down the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

retard

btw, I am almost 100% sure I will receive some sort of infraction for that, which is a shame, again-context is so important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

the N word ?
    Context?

There are very few contexts where it's not an offensive word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Snowflake,

NIMAN wrote: »
    Exactly.

I still would have liked to hear the black man on C4 News the other night use it, after all, its what he was being called as he walked down the street.

Black American comedians like Eddie Griffin and Dave Chappelle use that word to great effect - I am in particular reminded of Griffin's analysis of Barack Obama's placing of a swing-set on the front lawn of the White House. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Millenial

Snowflake

Tranny

Fagg0t

Theres no right answer to this question. Everyone is different.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Moist gusset.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

jimgoose wrote: »
    Minge, furburger, beef curtains, pork portcullis and kebab, in no particular order. Note that these may or may not be moist.

Surely that should be just "porkcullis"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Brexiteer.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

btw, I am almost 100% sure I will receive some sort of infraction for that, which is a shame, again-context is so important.

I blame the hommasekshuls an' nigra radicals.

Cina wrote: »
    Context?

You misunderstand, the context I used it in here shouldn't be offensive.
    I am not using it in a racial slur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

fine gael

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

Cina wrote: »
    Context?

There are loads. Say for example you wake up in Chris Brown's body (aww yeaaaaaahhh)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Isn't it mental that a sound that come out your mouth can be offensive even out of context,

For instance a comedian ( can't remember the name ) on Netflix had his contents removed from there ap because he used the word not in a hateful way either but then Netflix PR guy used the word in a meeting describing the first incident and he was fired , For literally describing what had occurred,

Its absolutely crazy ,

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

Isn't it mental that a sound that come out your mouth can be offensive even out of context,

For instance a comedian ( can't remember the name ) on Netflix had his contents removed from there ap because he used the word not in a hateful way either but then Netflix PR guy used the word in a meeting describing the first incident and he was fired , For literally describing what had occurred,

Its absolutely crazy ,

Imagine a word having that much power over you. Like imagine being in a fight or verbal confrontation with someone and always being hyper aware that, in amongst millions of other possible insults, that the other person could at any moment say a word that would make you absolutely and completely lose your shït. It may be easy for me to say but the word would lose all power if people just decided not to be offended by it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Spleerbun wrote: »
    Imagine a word having that much power over you. Like imagine being in a fight or verbal confrontation with someone and always being hyper aware that, in amongst millions of other possible insults, that the other person could at any moment say a word that would make you absolutely and completely lose your shït. It may be easy for me to say but the word would lose all power if people just decided not to be offended by it

People are odd ,

Advertisement