Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I agree it says something like that, but I think tertio & tertio gradii is second cousins.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mindhorn

Any ideas on the below?

3rd last entry - 2 Lower Francis Street possibly?

Last entry - 29 City...?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mollymoo19

My guess is Fownes Street, in Temple Bar And City Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭ath262

Mollymoo19 wrote: »
    My guess is Fownes Street, in Temple Bar And City Quay.

agree on both of these

Thanks. Both addresses make sense now considering other locations in the city where the family were living at around that time.

• Advertisement

Back again.

2nd from the bottom - Occupation looks like Army and it sort of makes sense. But the father's profession also looking like Army doesn't fit in with everything else I know.

7th from the top - Can't make out the godparents. Looks like Julia Molloy at the end but the name before that?

7th from the top - Looks like Conney but can't find Martin or Elizabeth in the 1901 census (and no death records between 1895 and 1901).

1st line - Godparents are Joseph Nolan and Margaret Kinely? My guess is that this should read Kinnealy?

1st line - Witness is Elizabeth...?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,353 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

mindhorn wrote: »

7th from the top - Looks like Conney but can't find Martin or Elizabeth in the 1901 census (and no death records between 1895 and 1901).

Misspelling of Conway, perhaps?

? Marsden ?

7th from the top - Can't make out the godparents. Looks like Julia Molloy at the end but the name before that?

Maria A. McDonough ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Back again.

2nd from the bottom - Occupation looks like Army and it sort of makes sense. But the father's profession also looking like Army doesn't fit in with everything else I know.
    Army for both of them.
    Maria A. McDonagh
    The word between the names might be proxy.
    Looks like Conney all right but maybe a mis-spelling as Boo says.
    1st line - Godparents are Joseph Nolan and Margaret Kinely? My guess is that this should read Kinnealy?
    Definitely Kinely and not much of a jump to Kinnealy.
    Uzelle, same as the bride? Otherwise Waldon, Waldron or something similar?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Back again.

Perhaps you have a Kinnealy but there's also Kinealy, Kenneally, Conneally etc... I'd suggest Madden for the witness' surname.

Hermy wrote: »
    2nd from the bottom - Army for both of them.

1st line - Uzelle, same as the bride? Otherwise Waldon, Waldron or something similar?

Thanks everyone, great help as usual.

The reason I think army is a bit odd is that he's approx. 50 years of age at this point. Occupations up until this point included labourer/porter/etc. Bit old to suddenly appear in the army? I know a couple of his children signed up to the RDF but wasn't expecting to see him have any involvement.

I was thinking Uzelle originally but looks too different to the text above (Mary Jane and Edward). And I think Madden looks right considering the style of the M for Mary. Missed the profession when looking at this the first time, does that say soldier for both father's?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

<The reason I think army is a bit odd is that he's approx. 50 years of age at this point. Occupations up until this point included labourer/porter/etc. Bit old to suddenly appear in the army? I know a couple of his children signed up to the RDF but wasn't expecting to see him have any involvement.>

It is possible that he worked for the Army as a civilian. My great aunt was married to a canteen steward in an army barracks, but he wasn't a soldier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you looked for army papers for him?
    I also thought it was unusual that it did not say 'soldier' or give the rank or regiment, but perhaps as Kildare Fan says he was a civilian working with the army.

I checked nam.ac.uk but can only find a record of his son there (guess to be expected since that only covers the period 1920-1922). Also tried FMP. This reads 'Soldier' for both fathers, right? It's a tiny bit more specific than just 'Army'.

As an aside, he lived around the corner from the British Army Recruiting Office on Pearse Street.

I checked nam.ac.uk but can only find a record of his son there (guess to be expected since that only covers the period 1920-1922). Also tried FMP. This reads 'Soldier' for both fathers, right? It's a tiny bit more specific than just 'Army'.

As an aside, he lived around the corner from the British Army Recruiting Office on Pearse Street.

Did he always live there? I can see an older soldier on fold3.com , age given as either 38 or 44 (!) Joseph Whelan, but from Kingstown.

You prompted me to go looking again for his death cert (1929) and managed to find it, thanks! Cert states that he was an ex-British soldier so that confirms that. Address is the same as at date of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1873/020691/7259757.pdf

Thomas McGivern, top of the page. His occupation please. He's a clerk of some description but I can't make out the first word. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Dispatch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Looks like "Wesfaulch"... could it be "Despatch"? (typo?)

A New earth got there before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Dispatch vs. despatch
    There is no difference between dispatch and despatch. The latter is an alternative spelling that was common in the 19th century and earlier, but dispatch has gained undisputed dominance in modern English. Despatch has mostly disappeared from the language—except in the U.K., where it appears in place of dispatch about a third of the time—and dispatch is the preferred spelling for all senses of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Thank you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rusheens

I'd appreciate the help with the first word in the attached. The entry is under the first column, "Nature of Mental Symptoms", and it's the notation near the bottom, three above the gloved fingers of the digitiser.

I can't make out the first word, the rest says "...alternatively joyous & melancholic".

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Incoherence ( also 'alternately' and not 'alternatively')

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rusheens

thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Hi,
    I need help with deciphering a baptism record (5th entry on left page) dated 17 March 1824 on this link.

Father's surname if possible?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

montgo wrote: »
    Father's surname if possible?
    Gleeson?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

‘of Mich. Tiernan and Mary Tiernan.’ ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Yes Hermy, it looks like Gleeson but I was hoping for Guerin/Geron. Although now I think it might be Gorman as I've found other baptisms in 1830s for children born to Michael Gorman & Mary (her surname is difficult to decipher as well).

Tks again.

Advertisement