Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2013 Reg Number

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Or, in the case of an import, 100000 > the width of the number plate.

I'd like to be introduced to the guy that came up with that and punch him in the face; just once, but hard. Dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I'd like to kick the **** out of the whole lot of them!

Talk about making absolute **** of a perfectly good system.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

noodler wrote: »
    I doubt it.

At the very least there will be more sales in Jan/Feb/Mar and then July/August/Sept.

Nope the dealers created the current mess of nearly all car sales being bought in Dec-Feb by ageing all cars the same, you get the same price for a Jan car as a Dec all other things being equal. If we get two different reg numbers per year the dealers will offer less for a Jan-Jun reg than for a Jul-Dec reg. So the same thing will happen except that most car sales will now be in Jun-Aug.

To smooth out the car sales the dealers need to change their trade in policies and that isn't going to happen
    noodler wrote: »
    I really think people are overblowing this 13 thing - I mean the system is supposed to be in place permanently - not just for 2013.

As has been pointed out there are plenty of cars with 13 on their registration plate, the SIMI made up the 13 issue to get the reg system changed after they created the uneven sales themselves. They are using the 13 as a smoke screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

How many here work in a business that is front loaded to the first four months of the year. Given the current economic climate it is very hard for a motor dealer to employ good staff for the first six months only to find they have to let them off for the second six months. The new system will allow for a more even spread of the new car business. As for Triskaidekaphobia, I believe there was an independent survey conducted for the SIMI that showed quite a high percentage I think around 20% of the people would not buy a new car in 2013 because of the number 13. I dont think the gov would change the number plate system because of the No 13 alone for fear of negative perception from outside Ireland. However using the balancing sales argument will kill two birds with the one stone and makes good sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I'd go a step further so.

Why not have a plate system which takes each month of the year into account.

13A - January 2013
    13B - February 2013

etc etc

Would fully spread car sales across the year evenlt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

People are saying that this will split the sales more evenly across the year, but will it not just create a situation where noone wants a 131 plate, and instead will hold out to June to get a 132 plate, meaning fewer cars are sold in January-April? You know what people are like when it comes to the reg plate...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

djimi wrote: »
    People are saying that this will split the sales more evenly across the year, but will it not just create a situation where noone wants a 131 plate, and instead will hold out to June to get a 132 plate, meaning fewer cars are sold in January-April? You know what people are like when it comes to the reg plate...

but by that logic then would they not just hold out for a 141 plate , or a 142 plate "sure its only 6 months till the new one" , people have to buy cars some time.

but by that logic then would they not just hold out for a 141 plate , or a 142 plate "sure its only 6 months till the new one" , people have to buy cars some time.

Because when you go to trade in your Feb 13 car the dealer will offer you less then someone with a similar Aug 13 car. The dealers created the short buying period and now they will just move it to mid Summer instead of mid Winter.

The only way to remove the short purchasing period is for dealers to offer trade ins on the car not the 1st two digits, soon to be 3, on the plate, as they are the ones offering less for a Dec registered car than a Jan registered car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

djimi wrote: »

No, they have this system in the UK and it works fine.

Not if you actually want a new car. I might be wide of the mark but considering the importance a lot of people seem to put in the number plate I really dont think its that much of a stretch to think that people will wait until the "2" plate is released, if the want to buy a new car. Also you know full well that when it comes to trade ins the "2" plates are invariably going to be worth more than the "1" plates.
    No, they have this system in the UK and it works fine.

In fairness this change is reported to be coming about because people are superstitious of a number plate; Im not sure Id be trying to second guess the mentality of the Irish car buyer!!! :p

• Advertisement

I think the idea of the change is fine, I'm not pressed either way about the extra digit but still.

My car Is December 04, the fact that a January 05 car could be worth a grand or two more is a joke IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Bring in dateless plates. Solves all the problems.

I think the idea of the change is fine, I'm not pressed either way about the extra digit but still.

My car Is December 04, the fact that a January 05 car could be worth a grand or two more is a joke IMO.

This is exactly what I mean though; the idea that now not only will a January car be worth more than a car registered a few weeks earlier in the previous December, an July reg car will also be worth more than one registered a few weeks earlier in June. And knowing how we are about reg plates I cant see many people buying cars after maybe January if they know that in a matter of weeks they could get a more valuable car.

Yes, but it'll break down the differences in value.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

dahamsta wrote: »
    I think the righteous indignation is a bit previous tbh.

I don't agree with the previous posts about the wonderfulness of the current system btw, it's neither logical nor graceful, it was designed solely with snobbery in mind, to benefit the "Irish Motor Industry". A letter-based system is much more logical, for example, simply because 26 > 10.

I love old system. That is one of the best number plate system I ever seen in my life.

*apart that stupid import car digit extention

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Silvera

galwaytt wrote: »
    Christ, this country is gone bananas.

So, I emailed this off to the Minister of Transport, at minister@transport.ie just now.

Dear Minister
    I heard on radio this morning, and have been reading online, about proposals to modify our World Leading and award-winning, number plate system, because of superstition for the year '13'.
    I would implore you to NOT do any such thing. This country has failed at many things, but the model of the xx-xx-xxxxx number plate system is not one of them, so please don't mess with it.
    On a practical note, there is another reason not to: the proposal I heard this morning, to have 131-xx-xxxxx for Jan - June, and 132-xx-xxxxx form July - December, will not work - it will not physically fit on the current number plate space and comply with the regulations for the size and type of font to be used, and space between them required - which is checked, for example, by NCT. For example, 131-WH-11999 will not fit and comply with Irish regulations, and fit on a standard car numberplate - there isn't enough space: don't forget we have to fit the county name over, in Irish, AND the EU/IRL logo to the left of it as well.

But consider also: motorbikes, scooters, mopeds, and many other machines: the CURRENT ones don't fit on them already, so how will the new one ?

As proof of this, the one alteration to the system already made, that of the ZV range of numbers doesn't work, because the string of digits doesn't fit on a standard plate, either - this is now in the format of ZV-120xxx, which fills a plate completely......and yet still fails to meet Regulations. The proposals I heard this morning are worse, and more onerous.

Which means the State is actually issuing numbers which do not comply with it's own regulations, as printed on a number plate, as they are impossible to observe.

Minister, in the interests of sanity, of common sense, please defend the system we have, which works (with the exception of the ZV system, which doesn't.......), and maintain the system as-is.

I commend you for actually taking the time to email the Minister and to voice your opinion. More people here should do so. I too will be emailing the Minister - with regards to ZV plates in particular.

However, your email isnt correct in one regard - ZV plates are currently a total of 7 digits, not 8 digits (i.e. not ZV 120000+). The '120000+ range applies to imported vehicles - e.g I spotted a 1980 Cortina with a '80-D-120001' reg plate - not to ZV plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I love old system. That is one of the best number plate system I ever seen in my life.

Only because you are most familiar with it.

Compare the UK system. 2 letters, 2 numbers, 3 letters. Always the same format. Easy to remember bitesize chunks. Same reason why phone numbers are always quoted as 3 numbers then 4 numbers.

This new system will now have no constants. 2 or 3 numbers, 1 or 2 letters, 6 or less numbers.

This is bound to already have issues in terms of people remembering numbers. Will it affect Garda or private ANPR?

The county on a car with 2 or 1 digits makes no sense. Why not have all the same? Why is Galway G but Kildare KE? To reflect Galway's status as a county with a city? Or were they trying to copy Germany? How about using one of the 26 alphabet letters for one of the 26 counties?

It is a useless system which is not fit for purpose but because people can understand what the various elements of the plate mean, they think it is wonderful. Who cares what it means? As long as you can remember it easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Bring in dateless plates. Solves all the problems.

And get rid of the county of registration (or, at least make it complicated enough that only total nerds will know, like it was with the old system) while we're at it - I hate this stupid D reg snobbery for example!

The county on a car with 2 or 1 digits makes no sense. Why not have all the same? Why is Galway G but Kildare KE? To reflect Galway's status as a county with a city? Or were they trying to copy Germany? How about using one of the 26 alphabet letters for one of the 26 counties?

City councils issue registrations with only 1 letter, county councils issue 2 letters. Hence Limerick city council is L and Limerick County council is LK.

Though that doesn't explain why with 4 different city and county councils Dublin is only D, but AFAIK it's only Dublin City council who issue registrations for all the Dublin councils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Councils have no role in issuing reg numbers. That is the role of Revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Del2005 wrote: »
    City councils issue registrations with only 1 letter, county councils issue 2 letters. Hence Limerick city council is L and Limerick County council is LK.

Though that doesn't explain why with 4 different city and county councils Dublin is only D, but AFAIK it's only Dublin City council who issue registrations for all the Dublin councils.

Thre used to be separate series issues in Dublin on the old series untill 1952, then they joined together.
    Cork was the same untill 1985, also on the old series.

I don't know why they were amalgamated. Does anyone know the reason?

It's amazing how in this country something that works extremely well is pulled around untill it becomes a total mess that no one is sure about.

And the fact that Healy-Rae is championing the 131/132 plates because of the fear of the #13 should be good reason NOT to change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dredg

Darsad wrote: »
    As for Triskaidekaphobia, I believe there was an independent survey conducted for the SIMI that showed quite a high percentage I think around 20% of the people would not buy a new car in 2013 because of the number 13.
    I wonder what % of that 20% would buy a new car in 2013 if the number on the reg plate wasn't an issue. Surveys are not to be trusted unless you know exactly what question was asked and exactly what answer was given (and even then, you don't know how the question was phrased, if the answers were multiple choice...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If we could get access to the raw data, we could start a Do Not Allow To Breed list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Is this actually going ahead? I've not heard a peep since...

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

I heard Ian Dempsey mention something about it this morning.
    But I was half asleep at the time :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

It BeeMee wrote: »
    I heard Ian Dempsey mention something about it this morning.
    But I was half asleep at the time :o

That's what reminded me. He was wondering was it happening at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I know its standard practice for people on the internet to blow about those nasty car dealers, but there is a valid issue to be dealt with here.

The industry is already on its knees due to recession. There is also a very real possibility that many people, for whatever reason, will decide not to buy new cars simply because its 2013. Should this come to pass it could well be the final nail in the coffin for many, many dealers.

The industry cannot survive a 'quiet' year. If sales drop further then hundreds of businesses across the country are likely to close.

Thats a very real concern, and its too simplistic to say "well thats their problem", because it means a lot of jobs lost and a substantial dent to revenue generation within the country. However silly the causes may be, I personally have no problem with the government taking action to try and help one of the few industries left in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

As far as I'm aware it is going ahead. Everyone I talk to in the industry is expecting 131 plates to be issued in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I personally have no problem with the government taking action to try and help one of the few industries sales forces left in this country.

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Ah feck I was hoping for 13 TN 13

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement