Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish arcade club?

• 04-11-2018 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

After those raid cabs went over to arcade club in England, it got me thinking. Not thrilled that a bunch of Irish stuff is no longer here (nothing bad to say about Andy, cabinets were saved from destruction).

But how feasible would an Irish version of arcade club be?

I'm pretty sure I can get a lot of machines here. If that was complemented with a nice selection of japanese candy cabinets, it could be very cool.

Have a place in mind premises wise (which I'll keep to myself for now). I think the difference between the likes of token and arcade club is scale, and token is kinda just that, a "token" idea of an arcade that's really more a restaurant.

Following similar business idea of arcade club, ie pay to get in then everythings free (or close)

Just vague idea for now but I'll investigate further. So what do ye think? Any business is risky, but is this out there altogether?

I don't need to ask if people would like it here :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Just in case anyone's wondering, here is the arcade club I'm talking about https://www.arcadeclub.co.uk/

They seem to have diversified quite a lot, including VR and gaming consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

It would be great. I heard token is expanding and it's pretty good in there with a nice selection of machines. Completed time crisis 2 for the first time in probably 15 years the other day. Arcade Club is off the scale though. Is it the world's largest at this stage? Check out the John's Arcade tour https://youtu.be/7mSU0sMdr4o 14.15 is my favourite spot :D

Heard an interview with Andy where he said he already had many many cabs before starting out so the setup costs were low. It would be tough to do that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I think you will need a large premises but also have to be quite central.
    Arcade Club just announced an additional premises in Leeds.
    I think it's a good idea but it would be all about location for me.
    Plus you will need a lot of diversity in games consoles arcades etc for multiple ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I think you would need a lot of money behind you to do it.
    Also - would you have a bar there ? If so you'd have to buy a licence etc...
    I'd love it for sure, but would it make enough to support itself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,284 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Best thing to do would be to start small by renting a space somewhere and filling it with cabs, make it a members invite only club so you don't have to worry about alcohol licenses etc.

But yeah, location is everything. Unfortunately with the mad rental prices in Ireland at the moment it wouldn't be cheap.

• Advertisement

When I first saw arcade club I thought it was sunk from the price, at 15 a head it sounds low. But it's obviously able to work, especially if another location is opening up.

The other thing was the location, it was kinda in the middle of nowhere (I think)

I wonder is it just a case of numbers (density of people) that might sink it here?

Was talking with a few people today and in theory, machines and premises mightnt be a problem. So, again in theory, with those 2 major factors out of the way, is it sustainable based on revenue?

Maybe to clarify, start from the other end. You have location and machines all set, just have to open the doors. Is it sustainable with repairs/overheads/operating costs in Dublin?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Best thing to do would be to start small by renting a space somewhere and filling it with cabs, make it a members invite only club so you don't have to worry about alcohol licenses etc.

But yeah, location is everything. Unfortunately with the mad rental prices in Ireland at the moment it wouldn't be cheap.

That's definitely another angle with the members club to workaround licensing etc, hmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I think the biggest obstacle is the rent costs in Ireland, I think an arcade club would work very well in the bigger cities like Dublin, maybe Cork(within 30mins of same), getting cabs certainly isn't an issue, high rent costs is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I think you would need a lot of money behind you to do it.

This!

I think Andy said in the a BBC documentary that featured Arcade Club is that he wasn't doing it for profit, he just wanted to give people the Arcade experience.
    I would imagine he isn't making any profit either due to having all the machines on freeplay for a low fee which included refreshments.

Especially when you consider maintenance costs, electricity costs and rent also.

I would imagine Andy has quite a bit of capital behind him to make it all possible, I could be wrong on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Doge wrote: »
    I would imagine Andy has quite a bit of capital behind him to make it all possible, I could be wrong on that though.
    You're not wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Location I'd everything. To get numbers you'd have to be near Dublin....crazy rent

To have ok rent you have to be somewhere else, and Irish people do not like to travel, we are a seriously last bunch.

A huge industrial unit down in Waterford is something like €1400 a month I think + bills.

In terms of profits I'd say youd have to prop it up for the first while. It might sound simple but selling drinks, food (just cans of coke and sweets etc.) And some merch makes a tidy profit on a busy day anywhere.

Plus there's the whole private parties booking thing, offices etc. Have a BYOB night etc.

It could definitely be done but you'd have to have a good selection of cabs off the bat

Location I'd everything. To get numbers you'd have to be near Dublin....crazy rent

To have ok rent you have to be somewhere else, and Irish people do not like to travel, we are a seriously last bunch.

A huge industrial unit down in Waterford is something like €1400 a month I think + bills.

In terms of profits I'd say youd have to prop it up for the first while. It might sound simple but selling drinks, food (just cans of coke and sweets etc.) And some merch makes a tidy profit on a busy day anywhere.

Plus there's the whole private parties booking thing, offices etc. Have a BYOB night etc.

It could definitely be done but you'd have to have a good selection of cabs off the bat

Location is key, and tied to that is rent. I'm looking at a place with 3 floors, pretty big, good rent, very good location. A fluke in other words.

Was talking to someone else and they reckon arcadeclub has about 40k worth on floor 1, 60k on floor 2. If I could get a bunch of stuff off the bat at a knockdown price, that would obviously make a huge difference. Again, I may be able to fluke that.

Was talking to someone else about candy cabinets form japan, they say 40 per container, and I reckon that would be good enough on that end, number wise.

I might get in contact with andy from arcade club and ask him a few things. I don't mind the idea that it wouldn't make a fortune, but if it was just breaking even...that's a lot of work for a hobby!

Another idea was to join up with arcade club itself, quite literally the irish version.

This is one of those crazy ideas, that owing to weird circumstances, has a small chance of being feasible :)

so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.jpg

Needs a floor of pinballs:)
    Count me in as a full time employee:D

Needs a floor of pinballs:)
    Count me in as a full time employee:D

I can honestly say I know nowt about pinballs! But you can't have an arcade without em :)

Will continue enquiries, off the top of my head I'd imagine it wouldn't open till February/March, to catch the better weather and also shipping stuff back and forth in preparation.

There's one particular point it all hinges upon, so slim-but-not-impossible odds.

Also, full time employee doesn't mean playing games all day :p (only half the day)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭Inviere

Usual thoughts apply, considerations like rent, rates, insurance, maintenance of premises, maintenance of hardware, overheads like employees/advertising/promotion/purchases, and so forth...mean to even break even and keep the doors open and lights on, the place has got to turn over some funds...and probably would run at a loss for the early stage meaning there'd need to be some capital there to leech from.

After watching the below video just there, I wondered why stop at just Arcade machines? It absolutely should have a selection of pins...but also a stretch of crts and old consoles wouldn't go amiss either. Two of everything (Steve Style), x2 Amiga's, x2 C64's, x2 Spectrums, x2 Amstrads, x2 NES's, x2 Snes's, and so forth....bring people right back to their youth, not only via cabs, but by consoles and computers too. Such wouldn't cost as much as cabs, have Everdrive's in everything...and give it a real cheesy 90's name like Xenon Palace or something :) Sounds like a place I'd want to be a member of and drop some coin in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭geotrig

As said earlier Andy already had a pretty massive collection of cabs ,hence ac came about in a way. Also wasn't there a small bit of resentment for a time as he was buying up all the cheap cabs ,The greater good shows now but people didn't always see it that way.

Location wise it would have to be somewhere near Dublin unless you where getting it for nowt.

You could do this if it was managed it cleverly though, and research what games would get the people in at the start ,1-2 "marquee" games / cabs and some very good fillers to draw people in and back. It doesn't need a huge selection a lot of Dutch and Nordic guys have done this.

A container of candies would still need a nice chunk of change to bring in and depending where they are coming from some work. I've not seen a container come in yet that I remember that didn't have some loss 2-3 cabs as well as some absolute mingers.

I admire your enthusiasm though!!!!

Back a few years ago there was a shumps club in belfast.
    the east belfast shooting club...........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I guess most people have pointed out the various issues.

Location would determine a lot, somewhere with a lot of footfall will get the casuals in for 30mins/1hr but cost a fortune, for cheaper locations out of town if people have to drive or spend time getting there, then is a 1/2 or full day out so food and facilities would be needed.

Also, security would be needed, far to many scoobies going around these days and an arcade is guaranteed to attract them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Back a few years ago there was a shumps club in belfast.
    the east belfast shooting club...........

They haven't gone away you know..

I guess most people have pointed out the various issues.

Location would determine a lot, somewhere with a lot of footfall will get the casuals in for 30mins/1hr but cost a fortune, for cheaper locations out of town if people have to drive or spend time getting there, then is a 1/2 or full day out so food and facilities would be needed.

Also, security would be needed, far to many scoobies going around these days and an arcade is guaranteed to attract them.

Yep - and there is always the possibility of fights etc if there is drink available, so security is a must

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,284 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There's no point even thinking about the public and booze this early on as then you're talking about an alcohol license as well as public liability insurance which would cost a fortune.

If someone could find a good venue that they're willing to rent, get a load of cabs into and have some private invite only evenings to see if it can even maybe cover costs..

Only then would you consider opening to the public if it worked and even later than that booze licenses etc as that's a huge gamble given the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Its an intriguing idea, not only are us irish a lazy bunch we are also quite stingy.
    Even in likes of Token or Barcadia, folks dont like playing for tokens and loads of machines are needless Idle.
    Barcadia would be great if you buy a pint you get 5-10 tokens, but no you need to buy food deal for 20e.
    I myself am guilty as I find it hard to throw money into a cab at an arcade when I have most games in my own home, same goes for folks with 1 or more cabs at home.

But we no problem paying once off fee, so maybe 10e on the day fee for non-members, whereas members pay a yearly subscription and everything is on free play? Least then you have a regular guaranteed income to use and people more likely to turn up lime *cough* gym memberships folks do :)

That YT video of Arcade Club was nicely put together. Thanks for the share guys.

kevin2me wrote: »
    Its an intriguing idea, not only are us irish a lazy bunch we are also quite stingy.
    Even in likes of Token or Barcadia, folks dont like playing for tokens and loads of machines are needless Idle.
    Barcadia would be great if you buy a pint you get 5-10 tokens, but no you need to buy food deal for 20e.
    I myself am guilty as I find it hard to throw money into a cab at an arcade when I have most games in my own home, same goes for folks with 1 or more cabs at home.

But we no problem paying once off fee, so maybe 10e on the day fee for non-members, whereas members pay a yearly subscription and everything is on free play? Least then you have a regular guaranteed income to use and people more likely to turn up lime *cough* gym memberships folks do :)

That YT video of Arcade Club was nicely put together. Thanks for the share guys.
    You could just start charging us into your house, it's basically the Irish Arcade club

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

You could just start charging us into your house, it's basically the Irish Arcade club

Cathal only if you stop buying them and taking my babies away from me 😀 I'll do Cork Irish Arcade Club Branch! It be no Savoy Arcade replacement thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 anto002

It's a good idea to open a retro arcade in Ireland.
    First you will need a permit that will cost €100.
    Then you will need a gaming licence for each machine that will cost €125 per machine.
    The license will also have to be displayed on the machine.
    Some people I met thought it was only for fruits, pokers etc...
    But unfortunately it has to be bought for any gaming machine.
    Except pool tables.
    In conclusion, it can be very costly to get started, what with renting a premises, electric, insurance and not forgetting (if you're not in the knowhow)
    Hiring a service engineer.

If it was a single pay in price at the door and the games were freeplay would a licence be needed per machine ?
    Edit - it's actually here: https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/excise-licensing/amusement-licences/definition-of-an-amusement-machine.aspx
    A machine is an amusement machine if all of the following apply:

it is constructed or adapted for playing of a game
    the player pays to play the machine whether by insertion of a coin, token or any other way
    the outcome of the game is determined by the action of the machine whether or not provision is made for manipulation of the machine by the player and it affords the player:
    no more than an opportunity to play again
    or
    the opportunity to obtain a non-monetary prize which, if available for purchase, would not normally exceed €7 in value.

So you could argue the machines are free and the entrance fee is a cover charge for the "club" perhaps ?

It's good to have a mini conversation here as a start point, good points about everything. And curious about whether the licensing thing is true in every circumstance, as posted above.

I think the idea of a private club will get around the license/machine, the entrance fee is for the upkeep of the premises, etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Don't remember seeing a license on the cabs in Token.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

What would the story be if a club like this was registered as a NPO?

I do know a few places that do this. The lads involved don't take any money out but every few months will just go out for dinner and a few drinks at the expense of the club. Rest of the money just goes into running & upgrading the place etc.

Advertisement