Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chance for random selection?

• 21-05-2018 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

So I was wondering, for anyone who got a GAMSAT score on the cutoff of the college they applied to, did you get a place? I'm just trying to see the likelihood of getting an offer if you're on the cutoff since they don't really release that info

Also, I heard someone on this was put on a waiting list for RCSI and they would call every day for an update until they got offered a place over the phone, is this something that's possible?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

also interested in the likelihood of this as I'm sitting on 53, hoping to just about scrape into UL if luck is on my side! Hopefully, if this 10% reduction in GEM applicants is true, there might be some hope in points reducing to 2014 levels.

I've also applied for the scholarship but I'm not too sure if they'd also evaluate each applicant on their GAMSAT score in conjunction with the access application.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

also interested in the likelihood of this as I'm sitting on 53, hoping to just about scrape into UL if luck is on my side! Hopefully, if this 10% reduction in GEM applicants is true, there might be some hope in points reducing to 2014 levels.

I've also applied for the scholarship but I'm not too sure if they'd also evaluate each applicant on their GAMSAT score in conjunction with the access application.

Yeah I’m hoping points drop, at least for UCD since the fees have also gone up by a good bit

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭indiep

What are you hoping UCD drops to? Will you head to Limerick if it doesn't drop?

indiep wrote: »
    What are you hoping UCD drops to? Will you head to Limerick if it doesn't drop?

To 58 preferably but probably won’t happen as it’s stayed 59 since 2016 haha

But I’d pick whatever I’d get tbh I’ve listed my preference in terms of points so UCD RCSI UCC then UL would be my list but I’d be fine going to any :) would prefer UL over UCC though as I’d still like to go back home to Dublin on weekends instead of moving to cork altogether

Ah sure fingers cross you might be in with a shout! 
    I got 56 so hopefully UL wont take a big jump. My preference was UCD, RCSI (purely cause I'm from Dublin) but I like UL's teaching methodology and campus so happy out if I get the offer. 
    I hadn't only intended on using March as a gauge for September so If I get an offer I'll be chuffed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 HopefulGEM18

Are you keeping Dublin as your first choice? I'm in the same position with a score of 57 and I am worried that if I don't take Dublin off as my first choice and put Limerick there that the Limerick places will be all offered to whoever has Limerick first and has a sufficient GAMSAT score. They're only offering 100 places this year.

I think that person who was posting in the other thread is wrong! its the same as the CAO,  with 57 you will definitely get UL

• Registered Users Posts: 29 moss house

I got 55 this time which I was delighted with as I got 51 last year I am hoping I may be offered a place in UL if I’m lucky. Other than speculate I imagine there is no way for any of us to figure out what the final figures will be in light of the numbers who applied this year. I made a big effort this year to be prepared so unfortunately if I am not successful this year I will have to look at studying medicine abroad

FOr the CAO during LC, I know the CAO would work down your list so from choice 1 to 4 in this case, meaning it will try to get you an offer the highest choice it can. So if you’ve got 57 then you’re pretty much guaranteed a spot in UL. But this means if you’ve UL below UCC, (UCC @ 3, UL @ 4) then if UCC drops to 56 or 57 then CAO will offer you a spot there, and so on

Hope this makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

1. UCD
    2. RCSI
    3. UCC
    4. UL

I don't think I'll be changing my order of preference. How have you all ranked your choices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

Are you keeping Dublin as your first choice? I'm in the same position with a score of 57 and I am worried that if I don't take Dublin off as my first choice and put Limerick there that the Limerick places will be all offered to whoever has Limerick first and has a sufficient GAMSAT score. They're only offering 100 places this year.

Hi. Just wondering what your source is for this, i.e. the 100 places?

I'm also on 53 with UL as first choice. I hope the reduction in applications referred to in the other thread is correct but I'm not counting any chickens yet, it's only hearsay as far as I'm concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 34 debbysoap

santino wrote: »
    Hi. Just wondering what your source is for this, i.e. the 100 places?

I'm also on 53 with UL as first choice. I hope the reduction in applications referred to in the other thread is correct but I'm not counting any chickens yet, it's only hearsay as far as I'm concerned

I called UL and they said the same thing: 100 places including international students and that it was 100 places last year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

debbysoap wrote: »
    I called UL and they said the same thing: 100 places including international students and that it was 100 places last year too.

Ah ok. Thanks for that. What's the reason for the decrease I wonder? I'm no economist but if supply (places) has gone down it'll probably make things more competitive?

Sorry for being on the negative side today, still very ticked off after the exam/results

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

santino wrote: »
    Ah ok. Thanks for that. What's the reason for the decrease I wonder? I'm no economist but if supply (places) has gone down it'll probably make things more competitive?

Sorry for being on the negative side today, still very ticked off after the exam/results

They also offered 100 places last year, so it won't make things more competitive as there'll be no difference year on year.

There's a rumour that applications are down 8% this year, which came from someone who spoke to admin at RCSI I believe? Can't recall for sure. If that's true, then it may result in a points drop.

Advertisement