Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Cancelling today and was offered 500mb BB for €35 a month for 6 months (told to call back in 6 months to renegotiate) the €71 per month for the remaining 6 months. Vodafone 1Gb fiber for €40 sounds better to me. Contract ends in 2 weeks, yet to serve my 30 days notice i've been told I need to pay a €29.90 cancelation fee. Chat to the supervisor and tada! no cancelation fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

They were in my estate a couple of months ago doing upgrade works for Eir. Installing fibre.

good to hear
    moved from Eir years ago because they can only offer me 4MB which was really just over 1 and a lot of the time not even that. yes you read that correct... 1MB :(
    What is mad though and I could never understand is that I live on a housing estate green on a Dublin suburb, but out of the 4 roads surrounding the green, it is only our road who have been left in the dark ages, the 3 other roads have been on Eir fibre for years..... so I won't be holding my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Cancelling today and was offered 500mb BB for €35 a month for 6 months (told to call back in 6 months to renegotiate) the €71 per month for the remaining 6 months. Vodafone 1Gb fiber for €40 sounds better to me. Contract ends in 2 weeks, yet to serve my 30 days notice i've been told I need to pay a €29.90 cancelation fee. Chat to the supervisor and tada! no cancelation fee.

VF seem to be suffering from bad congestion particularly in the evenings. Have you looked at other providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So I'm on the 240MB and home phone package with Virgin very stable and no major outages, but I know Eir Vodafone etc are offering the 1GB service on our road with Eir apparently the better service for €55 per month on a 24 month contract. I am out of contract for a few years so no problem changing, I know they might offer a speed upgrade for 7 or 9 months but don't expect them to match Eir's offer. Btw who do you ring cancellation team or sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

1908 for cancelations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭CoBo55

So I'm on the 240MB and home phone package with Virgin very stable and no major outages, but I know Eir Vodafone etc are offering the 1GB service on our road with Eir apparently the better service for €55 per month on a 24 month contract. I am out of contract for a few years so no problem changing, I know they might offer a speed upgrade for 7 or 9 months but don't expect them to match Eir's offer. Btw who do you ring cancellation team or sales?

2 years with eir? Thanks but no thanks. I didn't think 2 year contracts were allowed anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

24 months is a long time to tie into one provider.
    Vodafone would be way cheaper than that on a 1 year contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

Got SIRO from VF installed 2 weeks ago. Deal was 1GB plan for 35e a month , great deal but Internet was very underwhelming. The wireless was about the same speed as my 360 VIrgin plan I was cancelling so cancelled the VF and decided to stay with Virgin some offered 1GB for 42 for 9 months and 80e last 3 .

Definitely more expensive staying with Virgin but the broadband has been very solid and reliable . I have the SIRO infrastructure installed now so can also go back to VF down the line. Look8ng forward to 1GB from Virgin now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

bdmc5 wrote: »
    The wireless was about the same speed as my 360 VIrgin plan I was cancelling so cancelled the VF and decided to stay with Virgin some offered 1GB for 42 for 9 months and 80e last 3

The wireless is only as good as the wifi router you're using.
    It doesn't matter how fast your internet connection is- if you are relying on a wifi router using old technology- or cheap components, your connection speed will never be anything like its theoretical max. If you are relying on the wireless router from Siro or Virgin- you are short changing yourself.

So just to clarify if I did sign up for say Eir and they run the fibre and install their equipment I have 14 days to back out of the contract with no hidden charges?
    I take it they would come in via the same conduit as the old phone lines and upc use there might be a blockage as upc tried to run new co-axial up it a few years ago and hit a blockage.
    Also standard junction box at side of house I would want installer to do a short run up to room above it. Take it shouldn't be an issue for them.
    As for 2 years being a long contract I've been with Virgin/UPC/NTL for well over 20 years as they have been the only game in town for decent speeds up until now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

As for 2 years being a long contract I've been with Virgin/UPC/NTL for well over 20 years as they have been the only game in town for decent speeds up until now.

Yeah but it is Eir :eek:.
    If you don't need customer service, you'll probably be fine with Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Got a new box today via Night Line; same old problems in relation to line-speed so rang 'em today & told 'em I'm cancelling after more than a decade; Vodafone can't be any worse surely?

Rang VF & they've suggested ringing back about a fortnight beforehand to confirm so I won't be without a break in service from one ISP to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

So just to clarify if I did sign up for say Eir and they run the fibre and install their equipment I have 14 days to back out of the contract with no hidden charges?
    I take it they would come in via the same conduit as the old phone lines and upc use there might be a blockage as upc tried to run new co-axial up it a few years ago and hit a blockage.
    Also standard junction box at side of house I would want installer to do a short run up to room above it. Take it shouldn't be an issue for them.
    switched to VF, and the bold part was an issue, they do standard run as close to meter box or whatever, if it comes underground, and while i can see it would be easy enough for em to put it anywhere, in most cases its no bueno, so youd really want to call and make sure once the first engineers come over, to exactly measure and mount cable where it would go, as in my case they came over while i was away, left few meters, and final insallers came and done usual close to main entrance connection, which is 90% in most siro areas done as standard placement even thou it makes f all sense really in terms of coverage unless your all main wifi usage is downstairs.

on positive side VF only took a week from order to final setup and go.
    their router has wider range, if your on ground floor it can easily do 40-60 feet, with interference's upper floors gain is about 20-30mb, vs if you had VM hub sitting as twice as close.

as mentioned above if you expect some decent wifi speeds no ISP router will compete with decent aftermarket one and some wifi booster plugs or even mesh setup is required, as on wired you get close to 1gb no probs, but on wifi say on mobile being beside router on phone id pull 300mb, on likes of samsung note 9, its closer to 500mb, but to get anything above youd need extra hardware to get even past 500mb round house on just wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭oconnorw

Just to note with eir you have 14 days from contract start date and not installation date to back out of the contract. I will be interested to hear your experience of how long they took to do the installation and delivery of router. Three customer service leaves nothing to be desired. I wish you luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

The wireless is only as good as the wifi router you're using.
    It doesn't matter how fast your internet connection is- if you are relying on a wifi router using old technology- or cheap components, your connection speed will never be anything like its theoretical max. If you are relying on the wireless router from Siro or Virgin- you are short changing yourself.

Im well aware of this already if you read my previous comments here . I never said I was expecting 1GB speed wirelessly. I was pointing out wireless speed of VF 1GB was often less than the Virgin 360mbs plan I was on.

I even swapped out the VF router and used netgear mesh solution instead and still the Virgin connection and old router was faster

Since upgrading with Virgin I’m waiting for 1GB box Im now getting the full 500mbs the box is capable of up from 360 and getting wirlesss speeds in excess of 420Mbs at peak evening times. VF connection, not just the router dropped far too much in the evening. Looking forward to seeing what the Virgins 1GB offers hardwired and wirelessly.

scamalert wrote: »
    switched to VF, and the bold part was an issue, they do standard run as close to meter box or whatever, if it comes underground, and while i can see it would be easy enough for em to put it anywhere, in most cases its no bueno, so youd really want to call and make sure once the first engineers come over, to exactly measure and mount cable where it would go, as in my case they came over while i was away, left few meters, and final insallers came and done usual close to main entrance connection, which is 90% in most siro areas done as standard placement even thou it makes f all sense really in terms of coverage unless your all main wifi usage is downstairs.

on positive side VF only took a week from order to final setup and go.
    their router has wider range, if your on ground floor it can easily do 40-60 feet, with interference's upper floors gain is about 20-30mb, vs if you had VM hub sitting as twice as close.

as mentioned above if you expect some decent wifi speeds no ISP router will compete with decent aftermarket one and some wifi booster plugs or even mesh setup is required, as on wired you get close to 1gb no probs, but on wifi say on mobile being beside router on phone id pull 300mb, on likes of samsung note 9, its closer to 500mb, but to get anything above youd need extra hardware to get even past 500mb round house on just wifi.

Well this won't work for my setup unless they can run it up to the room upstairs which would be a straight run-up beside a drain pipe and drill thought the wall power sockets are on that side. I use a good Asus router I use the VM router in modem mode. Now I know if I want to hang onto the phone number I'll probably have to run my Asus as an access point.
    The crux of the matter is i need no interuption as i need it for work. So if they can't install before the 14 day off period I might have to cancel. Might see what Virgin can do for me not much probably

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

CoBo55 wrote: »
    VF seem to be suffering from bad congestion particularly in the evenings. Have you looked at other providers?

Hoping FTTH will be less congested than you're saying. Speed isn't entirely key for me, our 250mb from Virgin is plenty sufficient, so with congestion on a 1gb FTTH in hoping we're still happy. End of the day it's much cheaper than anything Virgin could offer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

[PHP][/PHP]
    Hoping FTTH will be less congested than you're saying. Speed isn't entirely key for me, our 250mb from Virgin is plenty sufficient, so with congestion on a 1gb FTTH in hoping we're still happy. End of the day it's much cheaper than anything Virgin could offer

Let us know how you get on.

I seem to have got flooded with Eir adverts on Facebook and the amount of people complaining about there service and support is putting me off tbh might just use them to negotiate a better deal with VM, is their 1Gb service that unstable?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I got 6 months half price on the BB with VM. I was never going to leave them so I'm happy with that. My neighbour has Vodafone and he says he constantly has problems. I've never ever had to ring about Virgin so that's worth it to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I rang loyalty today and was offered 9 months half price straight up. No arguing or haggling which made a change, a pleasant experience for once!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

I rang loyalty today and was offered 9 months half price straight up. No arguing or haggling which made a change, a pleasant experience for once!

Did you cancel or just ask for a deal?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

p15574 wrote: »
    Did you cancel or just ask for a deal?

I was straight up and said my preference would be to stay but I would walk if I didn't get a good offer.

I had been on to them last month and they tried offering me the €15 off deal, told them I wouldn't accept that and they told me ring back around now as my contract ends next month and they'd see what they could do. They didn't bother try argue with me when I rang back.

I'm with them 10 years this month so that possibly had something to do with it. I had 6 month half price this year, I've had that for as long as I can remember. First time getting 9 months half price.

They mentioned how they understand how hard it is for customers given Covid and all that, so I would play that up if anyone is looking for an offer. I'd say they are seeing a spike in cancellations.

I was straight up and said my preference would be to stay but I would walk if I didn't get a good offer.

I had been on to them last month and they tried offering me the €15 off deal, told them I wouldn't accept that and they told me ring back around now as my contract ends next month and they'd see what they could do. They didn't bother try argue with me when I rang back.

I'm with them 10 years this month so that possibly had something to do with it. I had 6 month half price this year, I've had that for as long as I can remember. First time getting 9 months half price.

They mentioned how they understand how hard it is for customers given Covid and all that, so I would play that up if anyone is looking for an offer. I'd say they are seeing a spike in cancellations.

Do you mind me asking what package are you on? Did you up your speeds or just keep the same package?

Do you mind me asking what package are you on? Did you up your speeds or just keep the same package?

I'm on the Virgin Full House 250. They're not giving out any offers or deals with the 360 package it seems and are insisting on an activation fee for existing customers. I'll give it a miss for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

Have you had discounts/deals with Virgin in previous years?

I find it more difficult each year to get a discount as I have received discounts for the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I called the other day. They offered 49 Euro per month of 9 months and full price (63) for 3 months (and an upgrade from 240 to 250). Given the number of people here saying they'd been given half price for 6 months, I said that if that was the best they could do, I'd go ahead and cancel. The guy said he was going to speak to his supervisor. Came back to me and told me that the supervisor said that that was the best they could do, so I cancelled.

Got an email suggesting to call them or webchat with them, to discuss other packages, but as things stand, I'm cancelled. I'm not actually inclined to leave them, but not inclined to stay if they're not going to give me one of the 50% for 6 months, or the equivalent of the new signups package (they work out about the same). Anyone know if I'm likely to be offered better? I've been with them a little over 8 years. Never had a discount (after whatever my initial discount was).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

RealJohn wrote: »
    I called the other day. They offered 49 Euro per month of 9 months and full price (63) for 3 months (and an upgrade from 240 to 250). Given the number of people here saying they'd been given half price for 6 months, I said that if that was the best they could do, I'd go ahead and cancel. The guy said he was going to speak to his supervisor. Came back to me and told me that the supervisor said that that was the best they could do, so I cancelled.

Got an email suggesting to call them or webchat with them, to discuss other packages, but as things stand, I'm cancelled. I'm not actually inclined to leave them, but not inclined to stay if they're not going to give me one of the 50% for 6 months, or the equivalent of the new signups package (they work out about the same). Anyone know if I'm likely to be offered better? I've been with them a little over 8 years. Never had a discount (after whatever my initial discount was).

currently on hold trying my luck aswell

i pay €63 a month for 240mb ( only service i have with them )

so gonna try my luck , let you know

im with them 10 years , so should be some sort of loyalty

26mins currently on hold

• Advertisement

currently 45mins

Advertisement