Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

best films to test your dolby digital surround sound.

• 17-10-2006 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Im curious,what films really test your dolby digital surround sound?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

I suppose Lord of the Rings would be a good start.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

That led zeppelin concert movie, the one released just a few years back, of course. Its fantastic. in every way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Revenge Of The Sith, the space battle at the start was brilliant for the surround sound!

also LOTR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

master and Commander is very good too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

best workout my rears have gotten was with underworld.

gladiator also has a good track for surround.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Black Hawk Down is excellent for the surround sound.
    The Street race scene from The Fast and the Furious is good too.

actually i just thought of two more...saving private ryan, and band of brothers...both can strip plaster from the wall if i gave my system full volume

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Maints

RONIN is very good, especially the car chase scenes.

Paul.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

There's a certain scene in Dog Soldiers that will certainly be enhanced with digital surround sound... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 worzel_gummidge

Is that the scene,where the wolf is on top of the car and and he`s trying to get through the roof,yea ive tried that with dts and its brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Hehe, yeah, that's the one. I had my brother around a while ago, and stuck it on. He leapt out of the chair when that scene played. Laughed my head off, I did. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

mossym wrote:
    actually i just thought of two more...saving private ryan, and band of brothers...both can strip plaster from the wall if i gave my system full volume

I watched all of Band of Brothers with surround sound... its excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

An excelent demonstration DTS film is The Fast and the Furious.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

I think Apocalypse Now Redux(DD), Ronin(DTS), Terminator 2(DTS) or Jurassic Park(DTS) to be pretty good for reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,005 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

as mentioned above saving private ryan
    war of the worlds has some nice sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

The beach scene in Saving Private Ryan is good for a start.

The Fifth Element.

Moulin Rouge (seriously)

Pearl Habour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Sparky-s wrote:
    The beach scene in Saving Private Ryan is good for a start.

This gets my vote, once its the DTS version, tested my Mordaunt Short Genies and my Pioneer Amp nicely:D

Otherwise get your hands on a copy of the DTS/DD test discs which has scenes which will test your system to its max!!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

Surprised no one mentioned the Matrix. One of the first films to truely make the use of Digital and the likes I believe.

Ivan E wrote:
    Surprised no one mentioned the Matrix. One of the first films to truely make the use of Digital and the likes I believe.

digital what? digital sound? all dvd's store the soundtrack digitally...always have..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The Lord of the Rings gets my vote. First time I heard the clarity of the rain drops on the orc's helmets during the final battle of The Two Towers.
    Ahhh. Proper sound quality, ya can't beat it.

mossym wrote:
    digital what? digital sound? all dvd's store the soundtrack digitally...always have..

Could be wrong in this but I believe the Matrix was one of the first movies to truly make use of 5.1 on dvd's. Where all dvd's have it, this movie used the full benefits of it. Hence all the whoosh noise. :)

think you are wrong there..there are older movies than that which have surround sound..apollo 13 was released in 1995, and it has a reference dts track (if you can find the dts version). Saving private ryan is from 1998, and again it has a reference track. both of these predate the matrix. In fact gladiator, which only came a few months later, has a 6.1 soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Ivan E wrote:
    Could be wrong in this but I believe the Matrix was one of the first movies to truly make use of 5.1 on dvd's. Where all dvd's have it, this movie used the full benefits of it. Hence all the whoosh noise. :)

Nope, not at all.
    Define 'full use'.Full use for me would be a signal eminating from the 6 speakers.
    The Matrix just made really, really obvious use of it.

Yeah that's exactly what I meant. I heard that they used the full benefits of it and as you put it, made really obvious use of it. Rather than it just being available and enhancing the sound, the Matrix designed it's sound around the format.

So a couple of years back, when people were first getting themselves sorted with home cinemas, the Matrix was the must have dvd to really display the true benefits of the home cinema.

Ivan E wrote:
    Yeah that's exactly what I meant. I heard that they used the full benefits of it and as you put it, made really obvious use of it. Rather than it just being available and enhancing the sound, the Matrix designed it's sound around the format.

So a couple of years back, when people were first getting themselves sorted with home cinemas, the Matrix was the must have dvd to really display the true benefits of the home cinema.

and saving private ryan didn't? sorry, but rubbish..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Ivan E wrote:
    Ehh, no. Besides, people weren't first getting themselves sorted with home cinemas "a couple of years back". It's been steadily growing since the early '80s.

I'm talking about dvd formats here and 5.1 digital sound in terms of home cinemas which is something that only happened in the 90's. And the topic is about which dvd is best to test this.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-DVDs-for-Surround-Sound-Collection-Essentials/lm/28OEBF7BP0YUA

so laser discs never counted? dvd was NOT the start of home cinema...most people who have been into home cinema for a while will tell you about thier video, then their laser disc collections..dvd was just the next evolution, not the start..they switched over to dvd like everyone is now going o be switching to

and finding a list someone has put together on amazon isn't proof of anything..

surround sound predated the matrix by a long way..the only thing the matrix had first was that bullet time style of shooting, which has been so over done now it's painful to watch..csi must spend half theior programme on it..

• Advertisement

mossym wrote:
    think you are wrong there..there are older movies than that which have surround sound..apollo 13 was released in 1995, and it has a reference dts track (if you can find the dts version). Saving private ryan is from 1998, and again it has a reference track. both of these predate the matrix. In fact gladiator, which only came a few months later, has a 6.1 soundtrack

Coincidentally mossym, was apollo 13 released as a special edition or some way differently than the normal pressed dvds and did it have 5.1? Or is the below information incorrect?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD
    The first DVD players and discs were available in November 1996 in Japan, March 1997 in the United States, 1998 in Europe and in 1999 in Australia. The first pressed DVD release was the film Twister in 1996. The film had the first test for 2.1 surround sound.

Advertisement