Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just looking back at the radar sequence, and apparently I have been under a deluge over the last couple of hours, yet not one single drop of rain has fallen. :confused:
    Sunny, bright 'n' breezy all day.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Just looking back at the radar sequence, and apparently I have been under a deluge over the last couple of hours, yet not one single drop of rain has fallen. :confused:

Are you inside by any chance?

Are you inside by any chance?
    I am now. Watching the dust blowing on the roads outside.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I am now. Watching the dust blowing on the roads outside.

What I wouldn't do for a bit of dust now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭highdef

Which radar site where you using? Netweather is very often horrifically inaccurate. Met Eireann is the best, IMO. UK met office is not too bad either.

highdef wrote: »
    Which radar site where you using? Netweather is very often horrifically inaccurate. Met Eireann is the best, IMO. UK met office is not too bad either.

'Rain Today' radar (mobile app) and double checked it on the Met Eireann mobile map. Both showed the same, with the former telling me that 'rain will end in 20 mins' when the sun was shining outside!

There was some shower clouds around the area yesterday but they were way off in terms of positioning on the radar. Not the first time I have seen this happening though and no doubt, the next time we do get a downpour here it'll show just the lightest blue possible on the radar.. as usual. :rolleyes:

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some convection showing up on Satellite in the SW / W with possible heavy showers in the afternoon. Convergence and afternoon heating might produce a few sporadic sparks especially along coasts.
    Not overly warm here in Tralee but can feel the strength of the sun when clouds open up a bit. More humidity today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Looks like serious rain in Killarney

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Sure does, skies getting dark here in Tralee, the wind is cooler with a few drops in it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Heavens opened in Sneem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Shower formation increasing in the afternoon with diurnal heating , paramaters not ideal for clouds becoming electrified but if they did it would mainly be in the N and E I think.

vxHDSu8.png

I would hazard a guess and say if sferics show up it would be mainly in the highlighted circle. Looking on the wrong side of marginal though.

eRyzlfQ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Clap of Thunder over Galway Bay very dark cloud formation

No sferics detected , scattering of showers . Remained dry here near Tralee and became increasingly bright and sunny as the day went on.

ECM I reckon ( amateur, but trying !! ) showing the parameters for widespread convective showers, some locally heavy and prolonged and a fair chance of thunderstorms on Monday. A longwave trough approaches from the NW in an increasingly unstable airflow with good low level and deep layer shear and increasing cold air aloft. A day for possibly spotting funnels given the level of shear and vorticity in the atmosphere and the strength of the sun at this time of the year. Looks fairly countrywide too.

Worth keeping an eye on perhaps.

ILnMzsK.png

Monday could be lively. A far cry from the recent quite weather. Should get reports of some locally heavy downpours.

ECM now forecasting colder air aloft coinciding with peak diurnal heating , trough crossing the country , fresh blustery day with good amounts of low level shear and quite a bit of deep layer shear. Thinking thunderstorms could happen just about anywhere but maybe best in the Northern half of the country where the colder upper air could produce steeper lapse rates. Storms could be big enough to carry on for some distance with heavy rain and hail. Convective gusts locally.

sLoaeL8.gif

9k7GeKj.png

T4Rkhvg.png

8vUsPFJ.png

BvQOXzc.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Here's hoping, it's predictably been yet another totally featureless season for thunderstorms, barely a convective shower here never mind a flash of lightning!

CAPE and LI are low going by GFS but hopefully a few might get lucky on Monday, usually don't see much here from a north westerly at this time of year but hopefully some nice convective cloudscapes at least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Was it this night last year that we had a brilliant lightning storm in the south?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Was it this night last year that we had a brilliant lightning storm in the south?

Yup 26-27th

• Advertisement

Plenty of big convective showers tomorrow , quite a blustery day especially in some of those big showers. Hail possible and would expect a sizeable drop in temperature in the showers. Parameters good for thunderstorms with plenty of DLS and LLS, CAPE from 200 J/Kg into the 500 J/Kg in parts, more so in the Northern half of the country all lining up with peak diurnal heating. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a funnel spotted also, plenty of vorticity in the atmosphere over Ireland tomorrow.

arpegeuk-21-24-0_exy5.png

LmVO8Yi.png

wcF3HB2.png

l8d8iuc.png

3iYmDeM.png

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yup 26-27th

https://twitter.com/Official_WXUK/status/1132743425328128006

Thinking that as convection matures whilst crossing the country in the afternoon there could be widespread thunderstorms in the area highlighted , from about 2 to 7 perhaps , starting in the midlands and possible getting stronger as it heads E.

35p4ih5.png

Looks like a lot of convergence along the E coast in the afternoon, will see if this translates to more thunderstorms here. Should get up around 16C in the Dublin area.

anim_hzk2.gif

nmm_uk1-28-9-4_gmg1.png

946_xpa7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Teeming in blanch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭vickers209

had a heavy shower of rain in wicklow 30 mins ago big dark clouds sun back out now and lots of steam comming off the wet ground.

Thundery cell over Wicklow Mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Thundery cell just passed over Mt Leinster. Nice few flashes out of it. Very heavy rain.

Bangs of thunder in the distance here in Kildare now. Getting louder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

2 nice storms after rolling through Athlone so far. One around half 12 and another one there now. Few rumbles. Sadly I was stuck inside chained to a desk for both of them :(

Advertisement