Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Universe is AWESOME!

• 18-04-2018 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭

800px-Hubble_ultra_deep_field_high_rez_edit1.jpg

In the image above taken by the Hubble Space Telescope there are 10,000 visible galaxies each containing billions and billions of stars.

If you took a needle out and held it to the night sky and looked through the hole on the end - that is the equivalent portion of space in the picture.

To cover the whole sky the same techique would have to be used roughly 40,000,000 times.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Uranus is awesome.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It is indeed OP. That’s why I’ve had an interest in astronomy since I was about 17.

Just look at this close up image of the atmosphere of the planet Jupiter, taken by the orbiting Juno probe. Surreal!!:cool:

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA3My8xNzgvb3JpZ2luYWwvanVwaXRlcnMtY2xvdWQtdG9wcy5qcGc=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I fcuking hate that word. Fascinating, incredible, amazing, spectacular, magnificent, etc, but awsome? Septics have ruined that word through overuse and trivialitization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The little Milky Way alone is flush with billions of potentially habitable planets - and that's just one sliver of the universe (there are billions of other galaxies to choose from).

In total around about 6 sextillion (x21 zeros) possible habitable planets in the universe, more than there is individual specs/grains of sand on all of the earths beaches combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

lebowski.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

That rug really tied the room together.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That rug really tied the room together.

tenor.gif?itemid=4420106

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It is indeed OP. That’s why I’ve had an interest in astronomy since I was about 17.

Just look at this close up image of the atmosphere of the planet Jupiter, taken by the orbiting Juno probe. Surreal!!:cool:

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA3My8xNzgvb3JpZ2luYWwvanVwaXRlcnMtY2xvdWQtdG9wcy5qcGc=

Triiippppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I fcuking hate that word. Fascinating, incredible, amazing, spectacular, magnificent, etc, but awsome? Septics have ruined that word through overuse and trivialitization.

It's massiv, innit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Fake news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I would say this is the epitome of awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

The universe is awesome, humans suck. Yup!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Stars are like people. They are born, they live and they die.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Our Sun will have a pretty bad result for us but not a Supernova at least as it does not have the size or mass. Stars are like people. They are born, they live and they die.

Ah old sunny still has a few billion years of hydrogen left to burn. I'll be well dead thankfully! (I hope anyway!!)

Ah, it's alright..

602883main_chandra_universe_full-800x571.jpg

Tarantula Nebula is a star nursery producing many super massive stars which will go on to create black holes which will devour us all.

Carina Nebula nursing infant stars.

hubblestars.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

PandaPoo wrote: »
    I would say this is the epitome of awesome.

Did I say it wasn't?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Do flat earthers think the Universe is flat as well?

How could they after this? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Did I say it wasn't?

You insinuated that the word doesn't apply with regard to the subject matter of the thread. It most definitely does apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I like to think that with the heat death of the universe after all the stars burn out nothing will be left except the litany of blackholes which have grabbed all the matter they can over trillions of years. Trillions of years later, with no matter left to attract, these same blackholes will eventually come together to form an unimaginably enormous solitary black hole. The singularity at it's centre becoming literally the centre of the universe. Due to quantum fluctuations at it's event horizon, this remaining blackhole, which contains all of the matter the universe once contained will slowly reduce in size over another spate of a few trillion years. In time, it will just become a singularity where time itself stops. Who knows it might, after another trillion years this singularity, now the size of an atom, might just explode and go through the whole process again. And again. And again.........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again.

valoren wrote: »
    I like to think that with the heat death of the universe after all the stars burn out nothing will be left except the litany of blackholes which have grabbed all the matter they can over trillions of years. Trillions of years later, with no matter left to attract, these same blackholes will eventually come together to form an unimaginably enormous solitary black hole. The singularity at it's centre becoming literally the centre of the universe. Due to quantum fluctuations at it's event horizon, this remaining blackhole, which contains all of the matter the universe once contained will slowly reduce in size over another spate of a few trillion years. In time, it will just become a singularity where time itself stops. Who knows it might, after another trillion years this singularity, now the size of an atom, might just explode and go through the whole process again. And again. And again.........

If the universe is expanding than what is it expanding in to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Fascinating stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

valoren wrote: »

It will be big bang 2.....

The big bang we know of could have been big bang 9 or 28!!!!!

Advertisement