Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dunphy leaving Newstalk

• 20-06-2006 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

O'Herlihy communications just issued statement. Dunphy is leaving Newstalk because of his "football commitments on RTE".

Bit of a blow to Newstalk before they go national, interesting to see who they get to replace him. Maybe McWilliams or the rumoured snagging of Marian Finuncane will get the early morning shift?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Crubeens

Maybe McWilliams or the rumoured snagging of Marian Finuncane will get the early morning shift?

I wouldn't say McWilliams would go back to Newstalk after what happened - he wasn't exactly treated royally.

Personally I think Richard Aldous has been doing a fantastic job - I found myself tuning in to the show far more regularly since Dunphy has been on holidays / on the piss abusing the Taoiseach.

I'm sue he isn't high profile enough to be Dunphy's replacement though, they'll need a big name when going national. And I'd say his being English might also be a factor - you'd be surprised how badly a presenter with an english accent would go down in various parts of the country.

Anyway, good riddens to Dunphy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jasus he does'nt stick to anything long. Bill says 'my friend Eamo has had enough early mornings and wants to get out on the raz more'!

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Does anyone have a link to this? Can't see it on the OHC page...

Yeah, would be bad news for Newstalk in the verge of going national; McWilliams won't happen, he's probably on a decent contract at RTÉ, and is making plenty from his Indo and SBP work too; Finucane is a possibility I guess...

I can't understand the reason though; surely his football commitments would be at their peak right now... I mean he does his weekly Premiership show, internationals... that's it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

Here's the release:

Eamon Dunphy to leave Newstalk

Broadcaster and Journalist Eamon Dunphy announced today that he is leaving Newstalk 106. He has decided not to exercise the option of another year on his contact with the station where he has presented The Breakfast Show for the past two years.

In a statement issued today he said:

"Because of my increased commitment to RTE Television Sports Soccer coverage I have decided not to exercise the option of another year on my contract with Newstalk 106."

"Over the past two years I have enjoyed the challenge of helping to create the credible morning programme that Newstalk now has. I was fortunate to have worked with an outstanding team and I wish them and the station every success in the future."

For further information contact:

Jill O'Herlihy OHC

So is this effective immediately or are there still a few months left on his contract?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Crubeens wrote:
    on the piss abusing the Taoiseach.

huh? :)

Originally Posted by Crubeens
    on the piss abusing the Taoiseach.
    huh?

Just after Dunphy went on holidays a couple of weeks ago one of the tabloids ran a story about how he turned up pissed at an event where Bertie was delivering a speech and started shouting at him.

Actually I think he was shouting 'Bertie I love you' at him so maybe 'abusing' isn't the right word - although becuase of his racous voice anything he says sounds abusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

huh? :)

Didn't you see the herald s amazing expose, "Dunphy goes out and has a drink!!!"
    At some restaurant relaunch dunphy was a little tipsy and the herald dedicated half of the paper to this...

anyways re: him leaving newstalk....he tried to get more money from them because they're going national....it's very possible however that he just didn't want to do the morning shift anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

flogen wrote:
    So is this effective immediately or are there still a few months left on his contract?

2 year contract was to expire in September, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

football commitments....yeah right, seemingly he was looking for something like 750k a year to go QUASI- national, NT management told him good luck.

750k a year?, pat kenny probably doesnt get that and at least RTE manage to get 2 shows out of him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes, yes, yes no more waking up to that grumpy bollix in the morning.
    Hookie mentioned he wouldn't mind the early mornings.

Thaedydal wrote:
    Yes, yes, yes no more waking up to that grumpy bollix in the morning.
    Hookie mentioned he wouldn't mind the early mornings.

I think they'll keep him in his slot; he's done well against The Last Word in Dublin and is likely to gain national inroads later this year...

Interested to see who they'll replace him with... I'd expect it to be someone from outside, a big enough name... they might even bag Matt Cooper :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Money seems to have been one of the issues anyway (link):
    However, one NewsTalk insider claimed Mr Dunphy's demands scuppered the review.

"He wanted more money, better terms and we weren't prepared to budge on that."

The insider added: "He was already comfortably the best-paid presenter at the station."

Would like to see Hooke get it, but only because I could then listen to him and Cooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Genghis

Shame, I'd have said. I thought Dunphy was good for Newstalk and woud've thought that they needed his profile in launching nationally.

Still, if they can't afford to pay, they shouldn't.

Idle speculation about pay is one thing, but I'd say there could've been some other factors - for example conflicts with RTE (perhaps Newstalk sought an exclusive?). I also thought Dunphy's outspoken-ness at the recent text charge hike betrayed something of a rift between him and management - or perhaps this caused it? After all, while I am with Dunphy on this one, the proper place to rant about the charges was in the boardroom, not in the studio.

I do think they will struggle to replace Dunphy, unless they have managed to bag one of RTE's offcasts - Myles Dungan, anyone? While I too am enjoying Richard Aldous, I don't think he has the required profile for a national breakfast show.

Other people I am thinking of could be Henry Kelly (who has recently taken more of an interest in Irish affairs and has done work with RTE in the last few months), Derek Davis (who in spite of his charming ole bastard profile is actually a very good interviewer), Finucane (though she is definitely more lifestyle programming) or indeed, Cooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

What about Ger Gilroy? I think he did a good job when he stood in for Dunphy recently. He's great on 'Off the Ball' but there's more to him than sport. Maybe he's not a big enough name but I think he's worth a try until they go national.
    P.S. what's the story with Damien Kiberd? Is he finished with Newstalk?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A P wrote:

Some rumours here (thread in the radio forum).

What about Ger Gilroy? I think he did a good job when he stood in for Dunphy recently.

He'd get my vote alright, and I've heard he'd like to do more than / change from Off The Ball. The lack of national profile is probably the main obstacle though. It will be very interesting to see if they steal anyone from RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

A P wrote:
    What about Ger Gilroy?
    Hi Mrs Gilroy
    A P wrote:
    I think he did a good job when he stood in for Dunphy recently.
    I respectfully disagree; when he is on I change to Moaning Ireland or even BBC 4 if I'm in the car. He has a face for radio alright; but the voice would be better in silent films.
    A P wrote:
    He's great on 'Off the Ball' but there's more to him than sport.
    Off the ball is better without him. I never listen to it but have been since he's been gone. (of course the world cup is on.)

MM

A P wrote:
    What about Ger Gilroy? I think he did a good job when he stood in for Dunphy recently. He's great on 'Off the Ball' but there's more to him than sport. Maybe he's not a big enough name but I think he's worth a try until they go national.

I don't think Ger Gilroy has what it takes at all; besides I can't stand Off the Ball and the constant pissing contest between Gilroy and his co-host (whoever he was, not even sure if he's still there).

besides that he's not big enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Gilroy will not get the morning. He is well established in the "off the ball" programm, and I know for a fact that Newstalk see this program (and Gilroy) as a major winner when they go national. I would have to agree. The program is a fairly unique format and the relaxed banter adds to the overall good feel surrounding the program.

Dumphy wanted a revised package and a better slot. My understanding is that he was offered a bit more on the salary side but his slot was not up for negotiation. He rejected this and I believe that both sides saw this as an opportunity to call it a day.

McWilliams will not be back in NT. Dunphy has a commitment until August/Sept, expect an announcement in August for his replacment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Front page of the Herald is about Newstalk trying to get Joe Duffy to replace Dunphy.

Probably all lies (it IS the Herald), but just thought I'd mention it.

DaveMcG wrote:
    Front page of the Herald is about Newstalk trying to get Joe Duffy to replace Dunphy.

Probably all lies (it IS the Herald), but just thought I'd mention it.

Just noticed a hit on my blog, coming from a google search saying "Joe Duffy moves to newstalk", so it's a rumour that's doing the rounds alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Someone mentioned Derek Davis. I was reading an article in the Sunday Turbine's magazine about DD, and he's still staff, not on contract and making a modest living, despite not being on air that much. Derek is, imo, a great broadcaster, greatly underused. If you can erase Dead At Four from the collective psyche, he's as good as anyone in there.

Henry Kelly could come back, it is possible. He's currently doing an "Alan Partridge" on BBC Radio Berkshire.

But it is certain, that they need a big name from RTÉ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Could do with a younger presenter replacing him imho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Dunphy was definetly good. He brought a certain edge to Newstalk. Arguably McWilliams was a more cerebral and even more entertaining host. But with Dunphy came his baggage and cache.

The replacement will be an interesting one. I like Gilroy.. a lot. At all times I find him engaging and informed (on the radio at least). Right now, however, he doesn't have enough recognition to be doing drivetime on a national radio station.

Karen Coleman is another really excellent presenter - but again she wouldn't be a household name. Hook may move, but you still need to find a new name to fill one drivetime slot.

Joe Duffy would be a disaster - I'd stop listening to Newstalk (for his slot anyway). ditto Derek Davis.

Finucane is certainly a great presenter, she would need to shed a little of the softly-softly phone-in persona though.

I wonder if Robert Fisk would fancy taking a desk job? (i can dream).

Orla Barry is actually quite good - but I hate her show - but its more of an editorial direction than a host thing - its squarely aimed at housewives/ human interest stories etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Genghis

Not Orla Barry ... No! Seriously, while I find a lot to dislike about her show, I think an objective comment is that she is more comfortable with soft stories and lifestyle pieces. I could never imagine her hacking into McDowell, McGuinness, Cowan, Kenny or even Ahern.

Likewise, I think Joe Duffy has no cachet for this type of show. He is far too tabloid, I don't think he would be seen by either contributors or listeners as a credible breakfast show news presenter.

I would actually believe that he is being targetted by Newstalk for their national service - but not for the breakfast slot. He would probably be valuable to them in a Liveline type show, either mid-morning or mid-afternoon. However, I do think for Duffy a move from RTE would be a big personal decision - he appears to me to be a loyal company man who recognises the enormous faith which RTE has put in him. Besides, Gay Byrne (his idol) would never speak to him again.

What about Vincent Browne for the morning show? I think his evening show (although more of a panel show) has demonstrated how he can grapple with guests. He would also have a very loyal Munster base, a national profile etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ivuernis

When is NewsTalk due to launch nationally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The plan is for October

[Orla Barry is actually quite good - but I hate her show - but its more of an editorial direction than a host thing - its squarely aimed at housewives/ human interest stories etc/QUOTE]

I've noticed how much more 'girly' her show has become over the last couple of months -thats what they set out to do so fair play to them for that. But as a male I find myself not tuning in as often as I used to - and I wonder how the girly edge will go down when the station goes national, will it be a turn off for the nation's males?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Dunphy is some w@nker to leave that station high and dry just as they could really do with his profile when going national. Hes an egotistical fucher who just had to go head to head on tv3 with the Late Late show - rather than running on a saturday night. That was a smart move, eamo:rolleyes:

Truth is his NT show was far-less engaging than either his stint at Today FM, and even there, it was the regular slots - that he also subsequently revived at NT - from Bob Fisk, Shane Ross etc that made the driving dynamic in terms of interest.

Bet the behind-the-scenes wizards at NT are really glad that they dropped Mc Williams for Dunphy now ;)

Advertisement