Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Setanta: naming a child

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

People will find a way to make fun of any name, and if setanta sports is the best they have to work with your kid will be fine, it might even be a positive when the children learn about cuchulainn imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

It will probably travel better than most Irish names as it is pronounced as it is spelt. I always feel sorry for the Niamhs & Sineads who emigrate and have to search for work with the mad unpronounceable names on their CV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Setanta tv isn't a reason to drop the name. Ten years time it mightent even be around. Dave tv hardly affects all the Dave's out there.
    From an early age every child in Ireland hears the story and associates setanta as a name.

As for names being hard to pronounce abroad, I have one and its always been an icebreaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Apparently Eir have bought Setanta Sports so they'll probably change the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Some people probably like Frodo, Gandalf or Darth Vader too. Doesn't mean you should call a poor unfortunate child by that name. It's quite simple, you both have to agree on the name and you have already posted twice that you don't like it. Get a cat, dog or Goldfish and call it Setanta?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

I understand the history of this name but sorry it's a God awful affliction to give a child. TBH I always think it's a very pretentious name. Use it as a 2nd name of you must but as a first name it's a no from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I love the name Setanta, and Eir is buying Setanta Sports so don't worry about that, unless you were considering Eir as a middle name.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Casm85

At the end of the day it has to be your choice. It's a nice strong name but I definitely associate it with the tv channel but that's not to say you still will in years to come.

Cork sportsperson named Setanta so before the TV station it was well known down here. Wouldn't think it overly remarkable really, I'd sooner be called Setanta than Noah for example but wouldn't really fancy it.

As mentioned by afew, if you both aren't 100% happy than move on to more ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I don't like it either. It's a good name for an Irish Wolfhound or Red Setter though. Anyway if you don't like the name that should be the end of the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I like it but my husband did not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Awful name, would get serious jip because of the sports channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think when you are choosing your child's name it has to be something you are both unanimous about. If even one of you isn't sure (I'm guessing you aren't) then don't go for it. Once you decide on your child's name, you can't go back on it so you both have to be 100% behind it.

Personally I love Irish names, my own son has one. I do like the name Setanta and I think if the sports channel wasn't so prominent it would be seen by more people as being more favourable. But aside from that the name does lend itself to being mis-spelt and mis-pronounced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I kept horses when i was younger and there was a beautiful Irish Sports Horse called Setanta at my stables - as a name for a large animal, I think its really strong.

As for on a child, i think it would be character building ;)

A slightly unusual name is no harm. For example I spent much of my youth complaining to my parents that my name was too common, and could they not have been a bit more original. When I started college, there were 6 girls in my class (of 41, about half of which were male) with the same name, and it was extremely annoying and confusing.

However, I think you should hold out for a name you can both agree on without reservation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yup, we had a Setanta horse too. Magnificent animal. I'm from Cork so am used to Setanta as a child's name, but don't know if I'd name a child it.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Amanda Brunker has a Setanta. That was enough to put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

No no and no. It's an awful name.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I think it's a beautiful name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I like it. Would you pronounce it with a sh or an s sound - I've heard both?

As for it being "unusual", I've worked in one single office with an Éibhear, an Eimear, a couple of Endas (male and female), a Macdara, a Séadhna…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

tinkerbell wrote: »
    No no and no. It's an awful name.

Ah come on. There's people reading this who might have the name. I personally don't like Irish names (even though I have one myself) and would never pick one for my children. But its more of a concern that one of the parents doesn't like it than a stranger not liking it.

As an aside, I never heard of the name until someone I know called one of their children Setanta, even though I remember doing the myths and legends stuff in school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Pink One wrote: »
    I actually love it and I would associate it with the mythical legend and not the TV station. I used to teach a little boy called Setanta and it suited him so much but there were four brothers in his family and they all had strong Irish names. I do love it and associate it with strength and courage! I did love that little boy so maybe I'm bias too :)

This is where my thinking was at too. I like the name, don't associate it with the TV channel at all (in fact have never watched it).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is of course Setanta Ó hAilpín too. That is the name that springs to my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Moonbeam wrote: »
    There is of course Setanta Ó hAilpín too. That is the name that springs to my mind.

A man who famously had a mother from Fiji, a father from Fermanagh, neither one a place with a strong hurling tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

lazygal wrote: »
    Ah come on. There's people reading this who might have the name. I personally don't like Irish names (even though I have one myself) and would never pick one for my children. But its more of a concern that one of the parents doesn't like it than a stranger not liking it.

As an aside, I never heard of the name until someone I know called one of their children Setanta, even though I remember doing the myths and legends stuff in school.

OP asked for opinions on the name - I just don't like it. Nobody is going to like every name there is. If there's going to be a name discussion, some will like it while others will not.

And yes I agree that it is more of an issue that one parent dislikes the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

A man who famously had a mother from Fiji, a father from Fermanagh, neither one a place with a strong hurling tradition.

At the risk of being ridiculously pedantic I would have to point out that that particular comment was made about his brother Sean Og, although we can probably safely assume that they have the same parents :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I think it's irrelevant what we think of the name, once one of you in the couple don't like the name, then it should be out. I don't think you should choose any name that both of you don't like.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think it's irrelevant what we think of the name, once one of you in the couple don't like the name, then it should be out. I don't think you should choose any name that both of you don't like.

Completely agree. When I was pregnant there were a couple of names that I LOVED but my husband didn't like them, so they were instantly off the table. There are millions of names out there, it's not fair for your hubby to be trying to push one that you obviously dislike.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Pretty awful tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

Is your surname "Sports"? Setanta, I'm afraid, is a terrible name for a person. It's ok for a dog maybe.
    Have you considered the following?

TNaG
    RTE
    BBC
    Channel4
    E
    Dave (this one is unusual, I grant you)
    Gold
    E+1
    Men & Motors
    Playboy
    etc

Anyway, I'm sure you get the point.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

mayway wrote: »
    Is your surname "Sports"? Setanta, I'm afraid, is a terrible name for a person. It's ok for a dog maybe.
    Have you considered the following?

TNaG
    RTE
    BBC
    Channel4
    E
    Dave (this one is unusual, I grant you)
    Gold
    E+1
    Men & Motors
    Playboy
    etc

Anyway, I'm sure you get the point.

Setanta as a male name was around long before TV stations though.

Advertisement