Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your plans for Christmas?

Comments

ardinn wrote: »
    i live at home - :(

I think I would volunteer somewhere else for Christmas day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I try to go home every second X-mas...this year is not one of the going home years, so, I'll just hang out. I've volunteered a couple of times when over in the US. While it's good to do, it's pretty demanding. Starting the day at 4am, feeling wrecked for the rest of the day. X-mas also happens to fall on a Friday this year, which means 3 days off in a row.

Time off in the US is like gold dust. I might take the chance to drive to California and maybe up to Utah for New Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

This will be my daughter's first Christmas. I have bought way too many presents for her which was silly because she is only two months old and doesn't have a clue, but I'm so excited. I will make dinner, eat too much and spend the day on the couch watching movies.

I hope to make it back to Ireland at some stage too, maybe on Stephen's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

It will be my first Christmas without my parents so it will be a little odd.
    Takeaway on Christmas eve and then of to the in-laws

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Christmas in my parents house. They get home next Wednesday from Florida, my sister arrives from Scotland on the 21st, my aunt and uncle from France the same day. So then its Christmas when they are all home.

Christmas eve we prep the veg, I boil the ham, I go to hairdressers and late afternoon we all head into town for a wander and grab any forgotten bits before repairing to a local restaurant for our dinner. Home to drink mulled wine with cookies and mince pies while watching a Christmas movie (usually Elf these days) and early enough to bed.

Up reasonably early now the kids are adults it's less fun, open presents, I cook a big fry for the meat eaters and quesadilla and eggs for the veggies (my sister is now vegan so not sure what she wants this year) and then chill for an hour or so before starting dinner.

Dinner is at 5ish followed by board games, charades, animal families etc and enjoying each others company. We used to have usually about 20 to 25 of us on Christmas day (biggest was 27 but included 4 month old twins) but my cousins and their kids aren't coming this year. So it's only my immediate family, 2 aunts and 1 uncle making 12 in total.

The tv is never on in the living room but my son and I slink away and watch Doctor Who.

It's my most favourite bestest day of the year and I am shaking with excitement typing this. Eeek!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I'll be working from home on Christmas eve, so after I finish (around 3pm, I hope) I'll be putting up the tree and decorate it. While trying the keep the cats from chewing through the cables for the lights.

I'll have a nice selection of cheeses, crackers and chutneys and pickles, so dinner will be lots of nibbles, followed by lots of home-made christmas biscuits for dessert nibbles. Haven't decided yet if I should buy a bottle of wine, or just craft beers, but leaning towards the beers right now.
    I expect my mom will call us at some point from Germany, and I'll have to nag the OH into ringing his own parents, too. Then it's just relaxing in front of the fire arguing about what to watch on telly.

Christmas day will be a long lie-in, followed by brunch and pressies. If the weather is ok, a long walk on a beach somewhere. I'll spend the afternoon making dinner (lentil and nut loaf with cranberries, stuffing, roasties, spiced red cabbage, honey-roasted carrots, fried sprouts with orange, lebkuchen gravy). And then we'll spend most of the evening digesting... ;)

Witchie wrote: »
    ...my sister is now vegan so not sure what she wants this year...

Grilled flat mushrooms topped with stuffing and chopped nuts?

Shenshen wrote: »
    Grilled flat mushrooms topped with stuffing and chopped nuts?

She hates mushrooms and I have a nut allergy so can't be near them but thanks!

She hates mushrooms and I have a nut allergy so can't be near them but thanks!

Oops, didn't know that.
    But there's loads of websites with vegan recipe ideas. I'd suggest trying http://www.thugkitchen.com/. Bit rude, but fantastic recipes.

Thank you that site looks great!

• Advertisement

Thank you that site looks great!

If you're still looking for a present for her, they do have 2 books out, too. I've asked my hubby to give me the 2nd one, already have the first. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Spending it with my husband and kids. Lots of eating, drinking and long walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭LCD

Is this really an After Hours thread?? Everyone is being really nice & civil. Someone even mentioned an odd Christmas Dinner & no one saw fit to hurl abuse at them. Christmas really does bring out the best in everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Half tempted to go for a day of Netflix and junkfood but certainly it isn't worth the fallout for not showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Ill be working til about 10 on xmas eve. I have Christmas day off so its family time then back in work at 11 on stephens morning

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭kettlehead

Christmas was always magic in my gaff. Christmas morning meant you got gifts you were told to "feck off" when you asked. We always got expensive gifts and a lot of books.

My brother was shot in 2003. My da, me ma and grandmother and themselves and reflect on Christmas. Christmas was a big ball of depression. I've worked and lived abroad for Christmases.

But now, modern Christmas; my father is a grandfather and he has half a dozen grandchildren running around with him. The ma has a glass of Buck's Fizz watching the grandchildren opening Santys presents.

Me and my sisters make Christmas as big a deal as our parents did for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Very quiet Christmas with wife, Mam and Dad. We'll eat well and maybe go for a nice walk in the countryside after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

Take her handy for a few weeks. Eat a moderate amount of crisps / sweets / chocolates / biscuits most days plus a nice Christmas dinner. I've lost a few pounds the last couple of weeks to make space. Watch some films, go see Star Wars a couple of times, build some Lego sets, read, break out my new Xbox One, spend time with family, friends. And probably take a dump every second day, if lucky.

Plus I plan to avoid washing for as long as possible in the middle of all that.

I'm spending it with my parents, siblings, sisters in law, 3 little kids, my Granny and my cousin. I love Christmas with the little guys around.

It'll be the usual over indulgence all round, I intend to eat myself into a coma and make a deep impression on the sofa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Drink stupidly expensive brandy. Make a balls of making the dinner. Pick at the dinner at give most to the dog. Drink more stupidly expensive brandy. Go to bed.

I love Christmas :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Maybe midnight mass, then get up in the morning milk the cows, feed the calves, make sure they all have enough feed and their bedding is fine. Then change visit the sisters get dinner, give presents, spend a while there, return, will only milk the cows once that day, but the calves will need to be fed.
    Then when finished work, relax watch TV, watch some NBA maybe a movie, then bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I'll be heading to my parents to eat and relax like every year. This'll be the 3rd christmas without one of my sisters and she was the full of christmas spirit jump around at 5 am type so well get out if bed at 7. My parents will head to her grave about 1ish while we get the veg ready and then flop around the rest of the day.

Oh and my dad might head to mass if he's in the mood.

We do a pretty similar meal type affair the last day of hannuke too so I get two days :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Drink stupidly expensive brandy. Make a balls of making the dinner. Pick at the dinner at give most to the dog. Drink more stupidly expensive brandy. Go to bed.

I love Christmas :)

Here are you not sending me the brandy??????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Christmas day I'm having the in laws over and cooking Christmas dinner for the first time. I'm really looking forward to it, it's our daughter's first Christmas and our son is at the peak santa age! Dying with excitement :D

We've had some really bad news and I've lost two aunts recently so I'm just going to enjoy what I have while I have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Lau2976 wrote: »
    I'll be heading to my parents to eat and relax like every year. This'll be the 3rd christmas without one of my sisters and she was the full of christmas spirit jump around at 5 am type so well get out if bed at 7. My parents will head to her grave about 1ish while we get the veg ready and then flop around the rest of the day.

Oh and my dad might head to mass if he's in the mood.

We do a pretty similar meal type affair the last day of hannuke too so I get two days :p

Second without my beloved sister too. I feel for you. She was the life and soul of every party and a great singer too, not like the rest of us!

No matter how happy we feel, it is always there. My sympathies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Geoffrey Dalton

Write some poetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Was on the phone with my mammy in Florida a little while ago and very little conversation was had as we were both so busy squealing with excitement that she is leaving there tomorrow to come home.

EEEEEEEKKKKKKK!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Write some poetry.

Late Fragment by Raymond Carver.

And did you get what you wanted from this life, even so?

I did.

And what did you want?

To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved on the earth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

My dad passed away in January so this is our first Christmas in 7 years that we won't be going to see him in the nursing home after our dinner. It'll be a weird day because we'll be starting a new routine and no doubt I'll be at a loss during the time that I'm usually with him. But it won't be a sad day, we had enough of them. We'll open our presents at about 7pm like always and then eat a huge helping of the leftovers between two chunks of bread, drink hot ports and play The Game Of Life. :)

Advertisement