Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is the most you would pay for a handbag

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Designer stuff is a ridiculous price. Why is that? Some people think it is a great cachet or something. Listen ladies, no one notices except you!

God forbid I do anything for myself

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

bluewolf wrote: »
    God forbid I do anything for myself

LOL. but I take what you say.

I suppose it's an each to their own thing really, and I hope you enjoy your designer handbags. Really. Kind of.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

I often wonder if the wonderful designer bags are made in the same places that Penneys etc. bags are made.

Does anyone actually know if they are made in a la di da upmarket workspace with yoga for breakfast and soft music as you work.

Think about it.

Designer stuff is a ridiculous price. Why is that? Some people think it is a great cachet or something. Listen ladies, no one notices except you!

Those who use designer labels are probably causing third world slavery and debt.

If anyone can contradict me, I am open to persuasion.

They are mostly made in factories in China. I'm all for investing in quality but don't see the point in paying thousands of euros for a brand name.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

LeeLooLee wrote: »
    €1,600! I'm thinking about the amazing holiday in Asia I could have for that, or 2-3 city breaks. :eek:

I get paying for quality, but I always think, what if it got stolen or ruined? Do you have it insured?

No, I don't have any of my bags insured. I never even thought about insuring them to be honest. I also have never ruined a bag and I'm not a messy person so I don't really worry about it. If a bag of mine did get stolen or ruined? I would be sad in the same way a person would be sad if anything that they owned and liked was stolen or ruined.

Your car could be stolen, someone could spill a glass of red wine on your couch... That's life. I like bags (and not just expensive ones, I also have cheaper bags) and the possibility that something bad might happen isn't a reason for me personally not to have what I like.

Novella wrote: »
    No, I don't have any of my bags insured. I never even thought about insuring them to be honest. I also have never ruined a bag and I'm not a messy person so I don't really worry about it. If a bag of mine did get stolen or ruined? I would be sad in the same way a person would be sad if anything that they owned and liked was stolen or ruined.

Your car could be stolen, someone could spill a glass of red wine on your couch... That's life. I like bags (and not just expensive ones, I also have cheaper bags) and the possibility that something bad might happen isn't a reason for me personally not to have what I like.

The thing is you were saying it's an investment, something you could hand down to future generations. I was thinking that it's fairly easy for a bag to get ruined. I was at a dinner the other day, had my bag on my lap and the person next to me knocked a glass of red wine all over it. I was sad because I loved the bag, but I paid £25 for it second hand. I dread to think what I'd have felt like if I'd paid a few grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Channel bags are made in France, Spain and Italy. I don't know what the conditions are like there but they are sure as hell better than in some grubby sweat shop where fakes are made. I think there is no doubt that mark up on luxury products is huge but high end products that people are keeping for ever are not responsible for sweat shop conditions around the world. It's the disposable fashion which is thrown away after three wears that is doing most damage to the environment and to those making it. I am not saying people should spend thousands on bags, I don't, but let's not pretend that fakes are ethical or superior choice.

And btw anyone with appreciation for craftsmanship or feel for the leather will be able to spot the difference between cheap fakes sold on the street (I am not talking about more expensive copies) and originals. I do realize it might be not as important to everyone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

The thing is you were saying it's an investment, something you could hand down to future generations. I was thinking that it's fairly easy for a bag to get ruined. I was at a dinner the other day, had my bag on my lap and the person next to me knocked a glass of red wine all over it. I was sad because I loved the bag, but I paid £25 for it second hand. I dread to think what I'd have felt like if I'd paid a few grand.

That is unfortunate. I guess I'm just very careful and perhaps lucky to never have had anything like that happen to me. If a bag of mine did get ruined, like I said, it would be sad. I understand what you're saying but to me, the fact that there's a small chance of someone stealing something I own isn't enough of a reason for me not to buy and own it. Nor is the idea that it might get dirty etc. If I can't give it to my daughter some day, I still got the enjoyment out of the purchase and using it myself. I'm not banking on being able to resell or pass it on, that would simply be an added bonus.

Different people choose to spend their money on different things. To some, a few thousand on a bag is silly. To others, it's not a big deal. To me, it is a lot of money but that's my little luxury in life.

I'm sorry about your bag btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

High end luxury goods like Chanel, LV, Dior are made by craftspeople. I may personally believe the prices are bonkers but they're not making bags for people like me. They make items for people who consider a LV bag to be a small purchase and who will buy other LV goods. Each leather item will take days or even weeks to complete, usually by hand. The companies adhere to very strict rules and regulations and they're open regular to inspection by the local authorities. They're as far away from sweatshops as you can imagine. I also agree it's the mass consumerism for cheap throw away items which fuels the sweatshop industry not the luxury goods market so penneys has a lot more to answer for than Chanel or Dior

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have to say I dont agree that bags from penneys or even m&s are in anyway comparable to the good designer brands. I can spot good material and craftsmanship a mile off. I cant even walk into the likes of H&M as I think the clothes are such poor quality and so wasteful of resources.

However, when you buy a mulberry. (which are very nice bags, no doubt), you are mostly buying a name. The materials and workmanship only account for a tiny percentage of the price. So now I try to buy quality, but not designer. Incidentally, I have a marc by marc jacobs bag, and it hasnt lasted well at all. I also have a gucci bag from my aunt which must be 50 years old.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I love handbags. I buy them from Penney's, River Island, Oasis.... wherever. My favourite bag is a Fossil bag I bought over 3 years and is still in perfect condition despite a lot of use. The bags I buy in Penneys never last like that.
    I am being promoted soon and will be going on holiday to the States shortly so plan on buying a designer bag when I am there. I would love a Chanel bag but I just don't have the cash for it right now. So I think I have decided on a Coach bag. The bag I have picked is around $400-$500, a classic style that won't go out of fashion and professional looking for my new role. And I know it will last for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

High end luxury goods like Chanel, LV, Dior are made by craftspeople. I may personally believe the prices are bonkers but they're not making bags for people like me. They make items for people who consider a LV bag to be a small purchase and who will buy other LV goods. Each leather item will take days or even weeks to complete, usually by hand. The companies adhere to very strict rules and regulations and they're open regular to inspection by the local authorities. They're as far away from sweatshops as you can imagine. I also agree it's the mass consumerism for cheap throw away items which fuels the sweatshop industry not the luxury goods market so penneys has a lot more to answer for than Chanel or Dior

+1. I used to work for a high end brand and I've seen the workshops where the products are made. They aren't sweatshops and the people making the leather goods train for years to qualify in their trade. It's a much more sustainable form of fashion than transporting things made from synthetic materials thousands of miles from China.

There is a kind of reverse snobbery about high end brands-some people (a general observation not directed at anyone here) delight in telling you they wouldn't be caught dead with a higher end brand and that Pennys stuff is just as good. After many years of being in love with fast and disposable fashion I can't do it any more. It's a waste of my money longer term and really bad for the environment. I now buy a lot less of everything, and I'm much more interested in where my clothes come from and what they're made of.

I have holidays and I have nice bags. I have lovely memories of the most recent one with my children. And a nice bag came with me. I've never had one ruined or anything awful happen to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I have the odd bag that cost less than €100, but most of mine are around the €300-€400 mark, and I have one that cost €1100 and one that cost over €1900.

I LOVE handbags, they're my indulgence. I carry a different one most days, depending on what I'm wearing, and I think a nice handbag can really complete an outfit. I don't go for obviously branded ones, eg LV or Michael Kors, as IMO they look slightly brash. I go for quality materials and workmanship as well as the look of the bag.

I know that I spend a lot of money on handbags, but to me, they're worth it, for the enjoyment and use I get from them. I can afford to spend that much money on them, luckily, so I'm not going into debt or anything like it for the sake of a handbag.

I really don't care what others spend their money on and see no reason why anyone should judge me for the way I spend my hard-earned cash. Nor do I go boasting or showing off my high-end bags, and would never volunteer the fact I had a new bag or tell someone the price of it- in fact if anything I'd be more likely to let on it was cheaper if anyone asked the price of one!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They are mostly made in factories in China. I'm all for investing in quality but don't see the point in paying thousands of euros for a brand name.

That's not true at all. As others have pointed out, the likes of chanel, Dior, Louis Vuitton etc are made in France, Italy and the U.S by skilled craftspeople who are paid well for their work. You are paying for superior materials and workmanship as well as the name.

IMO cheap high street bags are a false economy. They are disposable fashion, just like cheap clothes from penny's or wherever, they fall apart and you end up having to replace them anyway. If a high end designer bag such as chanel or Louis Vuitton gets damaged by general wear and tear, they will repair it. Usually free of charge.

I'd rather spend the money on a good quality well made bag that will last. You don't necessarily need to spend thousands for that. I have bags ranging from the low hundreds to one that was couple of thousand and expect to use them for years to come.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    That's not true at all. As others have pointed out, the likes of chanel, Dior, Louis Vuitton etc are made in France, Italy and the U.S by skilled craftspeople who are paid well for their work. You are paying for superior materials and workmanship as well as the name.

IMO cheap high street bags are a false economy. They are disposable fashion, just like cheap clothes from penny's or wherever, they fall apart and you end up having to replace them anyway. If a high end designer bag such as chanel or Louis Vuitton gets damaged by general wear and tear, they will repair it. Usually free of charge.

I'd rather spend the money on a good quality well made bag that will last. You don't necessarily need to spend thousands for that. I have bags ranging from the low hundreds to one that was couple of thousand and expect to use them for years to come.

It is absolutely true. I'm not going to name names, but a LOT of 'designer' bags are at least partly made in China, as are a lot of 'designer' watches.

I agree with you about cheap high street bags. I don't buy them either, but you can get a good quality leather bag for well under 200 euros.

It is absolutely true. I'm not going to name names, but a LOT of 'designer' bags are at least partly made in China, as are a lot of 'designer' watches.

I agree with you about cheap high street bags. I don't buy them either, but you can get a good quality leather bag for well under 200 euros.

I'm sure the likes of Michael kors and Marc by Marc Jacobs are made very cheaply, But they aren't that expensive and definitely not that great quality wise. The actual high end bags that cost thousands are very well made and not in sweatshops.

I'm sure the likes of Michael kors and Marc by Marc Jacobs are made very cheaply, But they aren't that expensive and definitely not that great quality wise. The actual high end bags that cost thousands are very well made and not in sweatshops.

And how do you know that?

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

$1,000,000

And how do you know that?

Well first of all I can look at my LV and Chanel bags and they state 'Made in USA/Italy' respectively. I can also Google where are LV/Chanel/Dior/insert designer bags made and it will tell me. I've also read articles in the past about how the bags are made and the skilled craftspeople that do it. But I guess they are lying about all that and making them in China really? How do you know this?

Well first of all I can look at my LV and Chanel bags and they state 'Made in USA/Italy' respectively. I can also Google where are LV/Chanel/Dior/insert designer bags made and it will tell me. I've also read articles in the past about how the bags are made and the skilled craftspeople that do it. But I guess they are lying about all that and making them in China really? How do you know this?

Very naive.

Most companies don't broadcast to the world that they manufacture in China, especially if they're charging customers thousands of euros! Of course they want you to believe that you're buying an exclusive product which takes a skilled European craftsperson on a high salary hours to make. The 'Made in X' statements can be very misleading because it's perfectly legal to put that even if 90% of the product was made in China and it was only 'finished' in Europe.

I know quite a bit about this because of my previous work, which is why I'm confident about telling you that this is all totally true. Bear in mind I never mentioned sweatshops. I said 'factories'. And the Chinese who make these products are skilled craftspeople, or the designers wouldn't use them and the bags wouldn't look as they do. It's just not as prestigious to have Made in China on the inside of the bag, is it?

While I absolutely agree that quality is good investment, it is good investment only for those who can afford it. Handbags are luxury also in the sense that unlike food, mortgage or whatever they are not essential. I don't like the attitude that those who buy are idiots just paying for the badge, but I also don't agree that buying expensive bags is just about quality and those carrying around something plastic from Penny's can appreciate quality. Sometimes it's the choice we make about what we can spend money on or quality in what we want to buy. Also I don't want to go all kids are starving in Africa, but those who can afford to save for a couple of grand worth of a bag are in minority. I guess I just don't like snobbery in one or the other direction.

Edit: oh and there are plenty of independent smaller workshops, designers that are producing stuff locally, not luxury brands.

• Advertisement

I think you should name names. Saying "a lot" says just as much as you claim "made in" does. (And yes I know what the point about made in was).

Very naive.

Most companies don't broadcast to the world that they manufacture in China, especially if they're charging customers thousands of euros! Of course they want you to believe that you're buying an exclusive product which takes a skilled European craftsperson on a high salary hours to make. The 'Made in X' statements can be very misleading because it's perfectly legal to put that even if 90% of the product was made in China and it was only 'finished' in Europe.

I know quite a bit about this because of my previous work, which is why I'm confident about telling you that this is all totally true. Bear in mind I never mentioned sweatshops. I said 'factories'. And the Chinese who make these products are skilled craftspeople, or the designers wouldn't use them and the bags wouldn't look as they do. It's just not as prestigious to have Made in China on the inside of the bag, is it?

Well if that's true it's very misleading of those companies to claim that the entire product is made where the label states. I'm sure people would be interested to know which brands you are referring to.

I have several Coach bags that were made in China and it doesn't bother me. The quality is very good.

Well if that's true it's very misleading of those companies to claim that the entire product is made where the label states. I'm sure people would be interested to know which brands you are referring to.

I have several Coach bags that were made in China and it doesn't bother me. The quality is very good.

Yes, but that's business. I honestly thought everyone knew this. I just googled quickly and apparently Prada are now being quite open about their products being made in China. http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304231204576403680967866692

They charge a lot of money for their bags.

I think it's the whole breaded chicken debate. You can buy chicken in Thailand and stick breadcrumbs on in Ireland and claim it's Irish chicken. However I don't believe that really high end brands do that. Mark up on those products is very high any way and making sure they truly sell people luxury is part of the brand strategy.

Edit: Prada like must brands has higher and lower priced collections and as far as I can see 20% include also clothing and shoes.

Yes, but that's business. I honestly thought everyone knew this. I just googled quickly and apparently Prada are now being quite open about their products being made in China. http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304231204576403680967866692

They charge a lot of money for their bags.

Like you said, prada are open about manufacturing in China. I wouldn't really consider them truly high end. Of course, they are expensive but they have plenty of lower priced options and I've seen prada bags in outlet stores which presumably are made for outlet.

Gucci, Hermes, Chanel, Dior, Louis Vuitton, bottega Veneta, fendi for example all claim to be 100% made in Europe or the U.S. It's a pretty big deal if they are in fact lying about that.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think it's the whole breaded chicken debate. You can buy chicken in Thailand and stick breadcrumbs on in Ireland and claim it's Irish chicken. However I don't believe that really high end brands do that. Mark up on those products is very high any way and making sure they truly sell people luxury is part of the brand strategy.

Edit: Prada like must brands has higher and lower priced collections and as far as I can see 20% include also clothing and shoes.

They do do that. Not ALL of them, but a lot of them. Watch makers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

€3.50

Like you said, prada are open about manufacturing in China. I wouldn't really consider them truly high end. Of course, they are expensive but they have plenty of lower priced options and I've seen prada bags in outlet stores which presumably are made for outlet.

Gucci, Hermes, Chanel, Dior, Louis Vuitton, bottega Veneta, fendi for example all claim to be 100% made in Europe or the U.S. It's a pretty big deal if they are in fact lying about that.

Did you miss the bit where it said the Chinese-made stuff is often sold at the same price as the Italian-made stuff?

I dont think many brands do claim to be 100% made in Europe/US. Most just put the 'Made in Italy' label on when only a small part of manufacturing is done there. Just found this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/23/opinion/23thomas.html?_r=0

It explains what I said about the label thing.

Did you miss the bit where it said the Chinese-made stuff is often sold at the same price as the Italian-made stuff?

I dont think many brands do claim to be 100% made in Europe/US. Most just put the 'Made in Italy' label on when only a small part of manufacturing is done there. Just found this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/23/opinion/23thomas.html?_r=0

It explains what I said about the label thing.
    Why would they charge less, it's not like Chinese can't do craftsmanship, it's weather they are willing to do it. Besides are you suggesting they should check the production cost of each separate shoe and then add 80% mark up to that instead of looking at the cost in total and deciding on the price.

Btw 450 $ really isn't price of high end Prada shoes, it's probably Prada sport.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Why would they charge less, it's not like Chinese can't do craftsmanship, it's weather they are willing to do it. Besides are you suggesting they should check the production cost of each separate shoe and then add 80% mark up to that instead of looking at the cost in total and deciding on the price.

Btw 450 $ really isn't price of high end Prada shoes.

You're changing the subject now but to answer your question about why they would charge less, well because production is much cheaper in China, obviously, so they could pass that onto the customer, but they don't. $450 was an example of one type of shoe they make in both China and Italy.

Advertisement