Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a UI Developer

• 24-06-2020 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

I am in talks with a software company about an app I am developing. I suppose there are three main sides to it, the concept (me), the technology (the software company) and the UI (UI developer). They have told me I need to hire a UI developer to do that side of things as they only provide the software.

I am tight on cash as this is a prototype and is being done all on my own finances. Should I look to India or one of these countries where costs per hour are lower or does this come with its own set of problems? I would like to support an Irish developer but if their costs are prohibitive then it is a case of foreign or not at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I think you answered your own question.

It takes time to develop software and interfaces. Time as we know equals money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Such an open ended question and hard to tell based on what info you have given. Also - sounds strange that a Software Company wouldn't be able to assist with UI development? Or are we talking about UI / Product design?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

maccored wrote: »
    I think you answered your own question.

It takes time to develop software and interfaces. Time as we know equals money

I dont think I have answered my own question, I know an Irish company will be more expensive but my query was relating to the pitfalls of outsourcing to somewhere like India where prices per hour are much lower. I can do the basic math, I just dont know the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

kenmm wrote: »
    Such an open ended question and hard to tell based on what info you have given. Also - sounds strange that a Software Company wouldn't be able to assist with UI development? Or are we talking about UI / Product design?

Again, I dont know the industry so I am going on the advice I have been given at this point. I have to find an xyz developer to design the user interface. The other software company will integrate their product into this interface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

If the product is well designed and you know exactly what you want from a UI developer, then there could be value in outsourcing it.

I would focus more on making sure the project is actually viable.

For example, you mention a prototype - that would imply that you are looking for something to show investors or to test the idea etc - if thats the case - you might not even need software to be written.
    If thats't not the case, then why do you call it a prototype?

It sounds like I am answering (or not answering!) your question with more questions, but I smell some potential red flags here as it's not the normal way I would see approaching a software project (not necessarily saying it's bad, I don't know enough detail).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I am in talks with a software company about an app I am developing. I suppose there are three main sides to it, the concept (me), the technology (the software company) and the UI (UI developer). They have told me I need to hire a UI developer to do that side of things as they only provide the software.

I am tight on cash as this is a prototype and is being done all on my own finances. Should I look to India or one of these countries where costs per hour are lower or does this come with its own set of problems? I would like to support an Irish developer but if their costs are prohibitive then it is a case of foreign or not at all.

You shouldn't get into this level of micromanaging. Find a different company to work with that does it all. Get a fixed price for a clearly defined set of deliverables. When the project is over define what you will be left with..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I dont think I have answered my own question, I know an Irish company will be more expensive but my query was relating to the pitfalls of outsourcing to somewhere like India where prices per hour are much lower. I can do the basic math, I just dont know the industry.

my point had been that using a developer rather than outsourcing it would be the better idea. Might cost more - but at least you wont have to searching India for the developer if things go south

Advertisement