Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Storm Watch Fri 7 Dec 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Gotten very windy in West Dublin all of a sudden. Wasn’t expecting this side to be affected much?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Quite as a mouse here ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Very heavy bursts of rain with some hail about 45 minutes ago in Dublin 11 gusty but just usual December night really

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Swellan

I am confused as to how Ballyhaise is recording gusts of winds of 44-60kms/hour. There isn't a puff of wind in Cavan town. Skies are clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Woken by a violent gust of wind 15 mins ago in Sth Galway. It sounds pretty bad out there. Glad I’m not on an offshore island this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Heavy but short lived shower of HAILSTONES here in west mayo at 6am.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭tiegan

very quiet all night in South Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Thepillowman

Calm morning with clear skies in East Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yeah, plenty of rattles around the house now. No word from Graces7, she must be feeling this?

Indeed yes... Advent is a quiet time computer wise for me , but today is a break...

Some gales howl. Some rumble. This one is a screamer. Banshee wails... Some real drawn out eerie wails.... I am always deeply grateful for the advance warnings here that take these events seriously especially when they are localised. THANkYOU !

Got fuel in and that was that. Managed to get shopping across as no boats today... LOVE living according to the weather!.

Still buffeting out there..

Stay safe.

West Mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

Graces7 wrote: »
    Indeed yes... Advent is a quiet time computer wise for me , but today is a break...

Some gales howl. Some rumble. This one is a screamer. Banshee wails... Some real drawn out eerie wails.... I am always deeply grateful for the advance warnings here that take these events seriously especially when they are localised. THANkYOU !

Got fuel in and that was that. Managed to get shopping across as no boats today... LOVE living according to the weather!.

Still buffeting out there..

Stay safe.

West Mayo offshore island

Glad youre ok Grace, was thinking about you last night, with this storm hitting Achill, Belmulet area.

Very calm in Galway city, a few light clouds slowly meandering across the otherwise clear sky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Well played again Met Éireann on this one.

coleria wrote: »
    Glad youre ok Grace, was thinking about you last night, with this storm hitting Achill, Belmulet area.

Very calm in Galway city, a few light clouds slowly meandering across the otherwise clear sky

A decade on a North Sea island left me well skilled... I now LOVE the isolation. And blessed with good neighbours.. Snug and the gale still howling...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just a normal windy night in Galway with heavy showers, few strong gusts but nothing out of the ordinary, exactly as ME forecast .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Looks like only 101 kph was the highest gust on the island of Ireland (synop stations). Getting interesting in the Hebrides now, with a 73 knots (135 kph) gust at Benbecula airport (6 m amsl).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It was windy over night in Letterkenny area but not stormy, reasonably calm now with light wind.

I forgot to put the empty wheelie bin in the garage last night and it was still standing in its usual place this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There are lots of live streaming webcams on Shetland if you want to see how the storm hits them, link below.

https://www.shetlandwebcams.com/sumburgh-airport/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

We did not break the 112km/hr in Castlebar so the winds peaked early, still though a very wild night with some heavy hail falls, still frequent squally bands of mixed precipitation occuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

I expect at least one if not two named storms next week

Wild and tempestuous out here; walls of icy water sheeting across...great gusts hurling them.... west mayo offshore island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Graces7 wrote: »
    Wild and tempestuous out here; walls of icy water sheeting across...great gusts hurling them.... west mayo offshore island

Graces7, are you on Boffin or Clare?

Blue skies here in Galway with the odd shower. Chilly wind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

9wQC58M.png

GNiDB6U.png

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork and Kerry
    A further spell of strong winds will occur later today and tonight. Westerly winds with mean winds of 55 to 65 km/h and gusts of 100km/h are possible, especially in coastal areas. High seas will bring a risk of coastal flooding.

Issued: Friday 07 December 2018 12:00

Updated: Friday 07 December 2018 12:00

Valid from Friday 07 December 2018 16:00 to Saturday 08 December 2018 01:0

Status Yellow - Gale Warning
    Westerly winds will reach gale 8 or strong gale 9 today and tonight on all Irish Coastal Waters and on the Irish Sea.

Issued: Friday 07 December 2018 13:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Non event here really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks like Malin, Belmullet and Mace recorded 101 km/h, wind speeds were a bit under than forecast. I think the storm stayed out further than was showing up on the models and is positioned further N than the models were suggesting a couple of days ago, they did catch up well in the end .

tempresult_iao5.gif

From a bit earlier

NASA

HUzNUQi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Non event here really.

SHOCKING considering you weren't even in a yellow warning.

- 'did you know, hurricane Harvey was a complete non-event for Ireland'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Why cant met eireann put the warnings in knots

You get warning in kph then look at site n its knots

Is there any website that gives forecast in knots ....bar the shipping forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

pauldry wrote: »
    Why cant met eireann put the warnings in knots

You get warning in kph then look at site n its knots

Is there any website that gives forecast in knots ....bar the shipping forecast

At an event earlier this year I asked why couldn't latest reports be given in kmh as that is what forecasts and warnings used and Evelyn Cusack basically sniggered and said knots is what they use!

While many changes in Met Eireann have helped with the public experience some of what they do is mind boggling!

Image at 500 metre resolution of the centre of today's depression NW of Scotland.

467699.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Pretty wild here now in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

4pm

Mace head gusting 50 knots
    Malin head gusting 50 knots
    Sherkin gusting 50 knots
    Valentia gusting 43 knots
    Belmullet gusting 41 knots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Starting to get some strong gusts here in Cork City. Just noticed a yellow alert was issued (was in school). Showers all day, very unpredictable too. goes from blue sky to dark grey.

Advertisement