Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

John Connors is a bit of a wanker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I wonder what sort of role he will play in his next acting gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Omackeral wrote: »
    And then there's stuff like this, where he can't just answer a question without having a go at the settled community.

DDcdsgFWsAAfI_e.jpg

Do you mind not using the term 'settled' people?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

lawred2 wrote: »

Did he just assume the bankers were settled?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

And then there's stuff like this, where he can't just answer a question without having a go at the settled community.

DDcdsgFWsAAfI_e.jpg

Isn't this guy supposed to be "cultured"? Have seen him interviewed before and he came across pretty well.

But the above is just ridiculous. It's quite a leap to, essentially, equate "settled people" as rapists and dodgy bankers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

lawred2 wrote: »

I thought the clergy who abused children moved to different parishes regularly, would that not make them Traveller Priests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Op had his lawnmower nicked from his shed last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

He's an irresponsible fool. He said the only reason the Belfast rape trial went the way of the defendants was because they're rich and middle class. He has such a chip on his shoulder it's unreal. He can make willy-nilly generalisations about swathes of people, as stated above, but if you mention any bad behaviour by the Travelling community, you're a racist. Funny how every one of his major roles on tv and in film have been him portraying scumbags. Such range!
    you forgot the bit about him being an awful actor who can barely string two words together but still got some major tv rolls and was sent on a trinket to the USA to make a documentary about discrimination . Yet he still continues to whine about the way he is discriminated against

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Used to like him now all he seems to do is crave attention, have his say as if its his duty to and bring the settled vs traveller aspect into it. He should stay quite or think before he speaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Chip on his shoulder... More like a bag of spuds. I watched one episode of his documentary series and thought who the **** thought that was a good idea..... The bag of spuds was evident and shone through in terms of attitude in that program.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Disappointed, but not surprised, to see the usual reactionary attitudes towards travellers on display here.

Connors has managed to carve out an acting career for himself against the odds. More power to him. He has landed an agent now and I'll be interested to see what he does next.

He also speaks the truth about our political class:

• Advertisement

he has a big traveller head on him, has always played traveller parts and wonders why he gets only to play travellers?

that carboard gangsters movie - he was supposed to be the "leading man" but had the biggest tits of anyone in the whole cast.

his social commentary is dreadful and facile - never have I seen a bigger McCain chip on a shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

He's right about Lidl. It's ridiculous that they actually want money in exchange for food. What kind of way is that for a supermarket to treat customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Didn't he play the part of Sharon Curley's baby in "The Snapper"

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Him trying his hand in the UK explains why he hasn't been on defending that poor traveller who was killed by that scumbag OAP last week. ; o

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

He's a rat and he killed Nidge!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Connors has managed to carve out an acting career for himself against the odds.

Usually just plays scumbags, hardly a massive range.
    He has landed an agent now and I'll be interested to see what he does next.

Probably just play more scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Him trying his hand in the UK explains why he hasn't been on defending that poor traveller who was killed by that scumbag OAP last week. ; o

I was wondering if/when he’d have his say on that.

Disappointed, but not surprised, to see the usual reactionary attitudes towards travellers on display here.

It’s not surprising because the comments are substantiated.

The majority of travellers contribute nothing to Irish society. They fought to be seen as a minority yet argue that they’re not treated as equals. The ratio of criminals to law-abiding citizens in the travelling community is exponentially larger than in the settled community. Criminality is largely condoned in their community, they believe they are above the law. Travellers make up something like 11% of the Irish prison population, yet make up less than 1% of the actual population. I’ve never spoken to a person about travellers in which they have not had mainly negative experiences of them. True there are some good travellers, but it’s hard not to tarnish them all with the same brush when so many of them are not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

His cardboard gangsters film was good all the same though.

Panthro wrote: »
    His cardboard gangsters film was good all the same though.

It was trash. No depth, crappy performances and just very hammy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

It’s not surprising because the comments are substantiated.

The majority of travellers contribute nothing to Irish society. They fought to be seen as a minority yet argue that they’re not treated as equals. The ratio of criminals to law-abiding citizens in the travelling community is exponentially larger than in the settled community. Criminality is largely condoned in their community, they believe they are above the law. Travellers make up something like 11% of the Irish prison population, yet make up less than 1% of the actual population. I’ve never spoken to a person about travellers in which they have not had mainly negative experiences of them. True there are some good travellers, but it’s hard not to tarnish them all with the same brush when so many of them are not good.

"The majority of travellers blacks contribute nothing to Irish society. They fought to be seen as a minority yet argue that they’re not treated as equals. The ratio of criminals to law-abiding citizens in the travelling black community is exponentially larger than in the settled white community. Criminality is largely condoned in their community, they believe they are above the law. Travellers Blacks make up something like 11% of the Irish prison population, yet make up less than 1% of the actual population. I’ve never spoken to a person about travellers blacks in which they have not had mainly negative experiences of them. True there are some good travellers blacks, but it’s hard not to tarnish them all with the same brush when so many of them are not good."

Substituting the terms shines a light on the underlying message. What era would the post evoke if the word 'travellers' was replaced with 'Jews'?

Substituting the terms shines a light on the underlying message. What era would the post evoke if the word 'travellers' was replaced with 'Jews'?

Absolutely idiotic and yet predictable. You got a Nazi reference and the African American connection in all in the one post. Deflect, deflect, deflect.

"The majority of travellers blacks contribute nothing to Irish society. They fought to be seen as a minority yet argue that they’re not treated as equals. The ratio of criminals to law-abiding citizens in the travelling black community is exponentially larger than in the settled white community. Criminality is largely condoned in their community, they believe they are above the law. Travellers Blacks make up something like 11% of the Irish prison population, yet make up less than 1% of the actual population. I’ve never spoken to a person about travellers blacks in which they have not had mainly negative experiences of them. True there are some good travellers blacks, but it’s hard not to tarnish them all with the same brush when so many of them are not good."

What I said isnt applicable to black people or Jewish people in this country, so your substitution makes no sense. Embarrassing response.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the box yet he is regarded as a highly revered member of the travelling community.

They don't have many high level candidates to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

There was a young man called John,
    Who came across as a bit of a mong.
    He said he could act,
    But the skills that he lacked,
    Led him only to be cast as a con.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Calvins-facepalm.jpeg

God forbid actual facts and statistics get in the way of being Right On. Travellers aren't Black. They look like any other White Irish person. They're not singled out by an obvious visual difference, so there's that. Ask a Black person who is living in a racist society what the difference would mean if they didn't stand out. As for "Jews"? Well let's go back to Nazi Germany, as you seem hellbent on conflating the Irish experience with that. Nice and emotive BTW *slow handclap*. In Nazi Germany and the lead up to it Jewish people were not over represented among the criminal class or prisoners. Indeed they were so integrated into German society that the Nazis had to invent blood laws among other nonsense to tease out who was a "Jew" and who wasn't. If Jews had been only 1% of the population but 11% of the prison population their propaganda would have written itself. But they weren't and it didn't.

So yeah, try again. Try and explain the disparity between the background Irish population, try to explain why so many Travellers availed of the various leg ups down the years and became, well... contributing Irish people, yet a percentage didn't and perverted their own culture into what we all too often see today as anti social and criminal behaviour.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

He was OK until Nidge made that faux pas about nits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

He was pointing out that the rant sounds exactly like comments made about Blacks in the US, with the implication being that the (mis)treatment of them by the larger society is the real problem.

(and I can't say I disagree with him. The only "evidence" I have personally witnessed that supports the idea that travellers are mostly criminals is from films and TV shows that portray them that way. The admittedly few travellers that I know personally aren't folks I'd describe that way, and they're not in prison.)

Heebie wrote: »
    The only "evidence" I have personally witnessed that supports the idea that travellers are mostly criminals is from films and TV shows that portray them that way. The admittedly few travellers that I know personally aren't folks I'd describe that way, and they're not in prison.

I work in a prison. They're massively, massively over represented within the system when compared to their numbers in the general population.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'm pretty sure Jews and 'blacks' don't generally fight to be seen as a minority. I don't know of any Jewish rights group that fights for their right to be completely separate from the rest of the population when it comes to obeying the law but who want the benefits of social welfare and the like.

There's a massive difference between judging someone for the colour of their skin or for their religion than there is for judging them based on how they act.

Someone quoted me a few months ago and changed all my mentions of 'travellers' to 'blacks' and that made no sense either especially as I had mentioned things like horses and caravans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement