Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stress, what should I do?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Well, everyone's trying to contact the foreman and could not get through, straight to voicemail, I am having doubts if the water will get connected tomorrow.

My thoughts are that, if we wait until the builders gave us a definite date for snagging, that could take another week or two and it's gonna be fcking February and after the first snagging we don't know how long were gonna wait until they rectify the faults and then wait couple more again to finalize the documents for the drawdown. Our letter of offer is gonna be due in March and I feel like the current house we are sharing with want us out sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭StoptheClocks

Something similar happened to me. The kitchen wasn't finished and the gas wasn't connected. I got a snag list of 75 other things for the builder to work on. We checked the gas and kitchen on the follow up snag 2 weeks later.
    When the water is connected, you need to check the pressure on all the taps. There was no pressure on my upstairs bathroom.
    If the engineer is right and the pipes need replaced, it's not worth snagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fia11

Do the first snag! We ended up doing 4 snags. Get the first one done, even if there is no water you can highlight and report everything else and get them moving on ticking off the list. Every little bit of progress gets you closer to keys. We've been in our new build a month now and all of the stress and delays and b****x seem like months upon months ago now. You'll get there soon.

Fia11 wrote: »
    Do the first snag! We ended up doing 4 snags. Get the first one done, even if there is no water you can highlight and report everything else and get them moving on ticking off the list. Every little bit of progress gets you closer to keys. We've been in our new build a month now and all of the stress and delays and b****x seem like months upon months ago now. You'll get there soon.

Yes, that's exactly what I am thinking, we can get the list ticked off while waiting for the water.

The only downside is that we will spend more on our snag.

Questions:

*the contract states that we have 14 days to close after completion, when does it start?

*when do you receive the completion certificate?

• Advertisement

You will find the completion certificate on here.
    https://www.localgov.ie/en/bcms

It can be difficult to find.

You will find the completion certificate on here.
    https://www.localgov.ie/en/bcms

It can be difficult to find.

I found the entire estate, but under certificate of compliance on completion our house number and address is not listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fia11

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Yes, that's exactly what I am thinking, we can get the list ticked off while waiting for the water.

The only downside is that we will spend more on our snag.

Questions:

*the contract states that we have 14 days to close after completion, when does it start?

*when do you receive the completion certificate?
    We paid for a surveyor to come for the first snag, after that we followed up ourselves. If you wanted the surveyor/engineer to do the second snag they usually do it at a reduced rate.

FrankC21 wrote: »
    I found the entire estate, but under certificate of compliance on completion our house number and address is not listed.

That is how my estate is. They were added in blocks of 4. Check that list you'll, see different dates as they add them. Your house will eventually be at the bottom. Bookmark it at or save the link. Check it everyday. That is what I did.

That is how my estate is. They were added in blocks of 4. Check that list you'll, see different dates as they add them. Your house will eventually be at the bottom. Bookmark it at or save the link. Check it everyday. That is what I did.

What does it mean? You mean even though snagging has not been done it will be marked as complete.

It is called Phase 5 development 1-14, ours is 14 but under Certificate of Compliance on Completion 8, 9, 10, 12 is listed and Total Units on this CC:

• Advertisement

Tomorrow we are going up to do the snagging, we rang the foreman today numerous voicemail and text but no answer from him. They sent us an email that snagging is on the 16th. Anyway, we decided that will go up there with our engineer to snag.

I believe, you have 14 days to complete the sale, from the date the house gets a completion certificate. You don't have one yet. That gives you more time. Your number should be listed if it's signed off. Looks like someone hasn't signed off.

I know that there was a delay in my estate because the architect didn't sign off at the beginning.
    The developer wants the money for the property. He wants to get the snagging done too.

Update guys,

We went up there and did the snagging.

Surprise surprise the foreman weren't there to give us complimentary champagne. Fortunately, our snagger persisted to get it done today, she fought for us today. One of the builders got us in, hurray! This is the first time ever that we saw the house.

Couple of points:

*The house was cordoned with temporary wire fence, there was a hole outside the driveway, where looks to me they've just put in a new pipe.

*Guess what!? The house next door to us looks occupied, I see furniture through the window, a teddy bear on the window upstairs and three panda bins with the green bin out for collection. How the f*ck?? Semi-detached i am no. 14 and 13 next door. Our house is at the corner and the first one built, I specifically choose the location because I know that it will be built first but wtf?

We asked the builder about it, he said, it's only the owner's things they're not there yet. OK

*NO electricity and NO water supply. They told us water connected yesterday.

* Going inside the house, wires hanging out.

*Unfinished patches of paint work and untidy rooms, floors not levelled, etc, anyway our snagger told us this is typical with new build houses.

*Toilets looks to me somebody already urinated on it, pissed spot around the seat. Glad to know they test it.

*And the Back Garden, looks like a trekking trail, the snagger told us builders can't work on it until the weather gets better and drier.

*At the end, the Snagger told us the follow up snag should have the previous list been dealt with, electricity and water supply connected. And the elusive foreman she calls him, should be there.

*At this point I don't know when will be the next snag and how far are we to close? She mentioned about the back garden we could wait for a month because of the weather. Is there such thing as partially closing the deal? Because what if we need to move house soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

You don't own it yet.

Take a breath

Of course a builder used the toilet. You think painters don't piss?

If it only got water then yep thats prob a hole in the ground.

Houses don't magic out of thin air.

Just insist on it being clean as part of the snag list.

Don't pay till they close snag list. If you're obviously in a hurry to get in they may use that against you to skip half of it.

Enjoy, you'll be in soon.

You don't own it yet.

Take a breath

Of course a builder used the toilet. You think painters don't piss?

If it only got water then yep thats prob a hole in the ground.

Houses don't magic out of thin air.

Just insist on it being clean as part of the snag list.

Don't pay till they close snag list. If you're obviously in a hurry to get in they may use that against you to skip half of it.

Enjoy, you'll be in soon.

I understand, but money does not grow on trees either, I worked my ass off and did a lot of overtime mostly ended up in tax, just to get the deposit and pay for legal fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

This is your once in a life purchase.

He's completed hundreds and if he got stressed about them all he'd end in an early grave.

Until you get the keys he can and will make a mess of the place. Like the watermain connection. Needs to dig a hole 3 foot deep and probably no canteen or toilet nearby, the workers will use the house.

Just as I said above don't fall into the trap of forgoing snag being sorted to get yourself in.

There are 4 houses in our row. Finished same time. Our snags closed prior to our payment. meant an extra week before moving in. No 3 same.

No 2 and 4 in since November and have a load of stuff outstanding. They rushed to him get in and the builder used it to his advantage. Theres a broken window I reckon might never get sorted!!

Look man I am just staying calm as possible while waiting for the keys. I am staying with my in-laws at the moment since May of last year and it's a 2 bedroom apartment and there are 5 people, my wife and I sleep in the living room floor. Can you blame me if I am f*****g stressed and anxious to move in.

Well the "next snag" supposed to be next monday but yet again they cancelled it for some reason I don't even know, from what I gather there are other people that will do the snag before us, that's nice even though our house was built first.

Advertisement