Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting proof of emissions for Japanese Import

• 19-09-2019 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I've imported a Prius Plus/Alpha from Japan.

I brought it to pay VRT today and ran into a fairly unhelpful employee there.

The insisted I provide proof of the CO2 emissions of the car. There are 2 cars listed on the Revenue/VRT site which match the specific model, so it has to be one of these. I offered to just pay the higher rate but they were unwilling to do this.

The employee said there was a website I could go to to get this info, on the document she's written:

"PROOF OF CO2 from Japanese Ministry of Land needed"

I've had a look but can't find the relevant info anywhere.

Assume it's a problem other people have run into before so just wondering if anyone else knows where I should be looking for this?

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

The revenue website lists the following two sources as acceptable for CO2 emissions:

"For a Japanese import, several sources declaring the CO2 are acceptable:

An Export Certificate, or a Japanese Certificate of Cancellation of Motor Vehicle Registration.
    A printout from the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport showing the level of CO2 emissions on the certificate."

However it also says that a print from the VRT Calculator for your model is also acceptable.

Did you have the export certificate?

If I were you I would print out

1) The VRT calculator output for you car
    2) This revenue page https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/vehicle-registration-tax/general-information-on-registration.aspx

Go back to the centre and explain that you have the information required as per the website, and hope someone else is at the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Pops_20 wrote: »
    and hope someone else is at the counter.

^^^ That would appear to be your best answer. Or just go to a different VRT Centre....if it's an option for you.
    In fairness there are loads of them out there (especially in the Taxi Sector). They can't all be experiencing the same issue as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mikezdi

Hi, were you able to get sorted with the VRT? If so what docs did they accept in the end?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mikezdi

Any joy? Cheers

Advertisement