Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Y'all v quiet esp as Bellator 252 live and free on youtube atm...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7cMYlIcZXQ

Keri Melendez looked amazing (opponent not great to be fair) but still. Gill her corner :) She wants to move up a weight class - makes sense. Aiming for Ilima Lei I guess, but good luck with that!
    Pico looking crazy strong vs Jesus on now, and Patriky vs Carvelho coming up. Hopefully still on free to air?
    Coverage on sky sports at 12, don't know if still FTA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

That was too easy for Pitbull. Would love to see him in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    That was too easy for Pitbull. Would love to see him in the UFC.

Too easy alright. Shows the gulf in class. I had a feeling Pedro would get KO'd early. I checked PP to see if they were giving prices but they only had a market for the straight win and there was no value in it. Pitbull was 1/7 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Felt bad for Pedro. He works so hard and a great guy at the back of it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Felt bad for Pedro. He works so hard and a great guy at the back of it too.

Yeah definitely seems like a good skin. He's only 24 in fairness, unbelievably tough fight for him at this stage in his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

It was a big step up for him in fairness, and he was unfazed by it.

But he didn't look completely out of place. He got out of some tough situations against the cage and on the ground with high level technique, and landed some nice shots himself.

To be honest most of the loss was his own doing, from lack of experience. He started in southpaw as the longer range fighter and was landing shots.

However he became overly aggressive and started moving forward switching into his natural orthodox stance. That was when Pitbull started clipping him, each time he changed stance from Southpaw to Orthodox he closed the distance, and its often when a fighter is vulnerable to an immediate attack which Pitbull took full advantage of.

The second strategic error from Pedro was pushing forward aggressively against a shorter opponent with knockout power.

By moving forward Pedro was closing the distance again for Pitbull to strike, making it easier for the shorter opponent to land.

I would have liked to see more patience from Pedro, to hang back in southpaw and pick away at Pitbull. To make Pittbull work to close the distance instead of Pedro closing it for him.

These are simple enough strategic errors to fix, which I think would have made it much more competitive. These things are learned with experience however and as mentioned above Pedro is still young and I am sure we will see him back fighting for a title again in the not too distant future.

Cage Warriors is on at 8pm tonight and for the next two nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Cage Warriors is on at 8pm tonight and for the next two nights.

How does one watch cage warriors these days ?

dashoonage wrote: »
    How does one watch cage warriors these days ?

I think it's only possible through fight pass, which I believe is free this week?

Ian Garry and Paul Hughes are up tonight on Cage Warriors. I think I've said it before, but I definitely see them as Ireland's two biggest prospects when it comes to any sort of success in the UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Ian Garry and Paul Hughes are up tonight on Cage Warriors. I think I've said it before, but I definitely see them as Ireland's two biggest prospects when it comes to any sort of success in the UFC.

They are 2 guys that I get excited about watching fight and the fact that they are Irish makes it even better. Hope they can keep it going tonight

Easy work for Ian Garry. I don't see anyone giving him any trouble in that CW division.

I reckon he beats Rhys McKee at 170 too. Rhys needs to drop back to 155 if he wants a run in the UFC.

That Hughes fight was a great watch, two excellent fighters. Wrong decision for me though. I look forward to seeing that one run back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Rhys needs to drop back to 155 if he wants a run in the UFC.

Surely with 60 something cuts hitting the UFC soon, Rhys will be on his way?

In the future though, yeah I agree if he wants to get back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Surely with 60 something cuts hitting the UFC soon, Rhys will be on his way?

In the future though, yeah I agree if he wants to get back in.

Rhys is cheap( no offence to the lad), cheap is good at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Ive watched the Paul Hughes fight back twice.. still cant understand how the decision went against him? was it the two cage grabs that helped his position surely not?

but1er wrote: »
    Ive watched the Paul Hughes fight back twice.. still cant understand how the decision went against him? was it the two cage grabs that helped his position surely not?

I don't think a judge has scope to take something like that into account if the ref has not pulled the fighter up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Ian Garry with a fantastic KO at Cage Warriors 121 over a UFC Vet no less!

https://twitter.com/CageWarriors/status/1373022676667744262?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Who?

Rostem Akman. Was 0-2 in the UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ian Garry with a fantastic KO at Cage Warriors 121 over a UFC Vet no less!

https://twitter.com/CageWarriors/status/1373022676667744262?s=20

How good is he ?
    He seems to think he would be a top 5 in UFC already at 25

I see he just moved in with presenter Layla Ann Lee life seems to be on the up for him fair play ,

• Registered Users Posts: 38,995 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ian Garry with a fantastic KO at Cage Warriors 121 over a UFC Vet no less!]

“UFC vet” is a bit generous. 0-2 on two non-US cards then cut.
    Nice finish though.

Blaine o driscoll fighting Thursday against Jose Torres in brave

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Bellator have confirmed that every Bellator event will be aired live on Virgin Media in Ireland starting with Bellator 255 this weekend.

Interesting to see Virgin's push for things like this and also now having WWE on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Probably low cost-high gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

Heavyweight division seems a bit stale at this point. Full of very average or past-it fighters.

Up to LHW is solid enough for the most part.

James Gallagher #4 in Bantam despite having fought none of those top 10 guys and very few people of any real worth in general.

The great thing about these rankings is that the quality of fights should dramatically improve, I assume they will start to match-make using the rankings rather than throw #3 against some local nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Homelander wrote: »

James Gallagher #4 in Bantam despite having fought none of those top 10 guys and very few people of any real worth in general.

The great thing about these rankings is that the quality of fights should dramatically improve, I assume they will start to match-make using the rankings rather than throw #3 against some local nobody.

I really hope this is the case, I've always had the impression that Bellator makes awful matchups (mainly following irish or english cards), having rankings makes that harder to do at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Homelander wrote: »

j-jonah-jameson-laugh-gif-8-1.gif

More people will die from laughter at the thought of James "Discount Conor" Gallagher being in the top 10 than from Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    More people will die from laughter at the thought of James "Discount Conor" Gallagher being in the top 10 than from Covid.

Won't last long - Patchy Mix stops him in May.

• Advertisement

Won't last long - Patchy Mix stops him in May.

lets see what this switch up does with Kanas for him.

Advertisement