Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 254 - Khabib v Gaethje

• 22-10-2020 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

EjGkDkZVoAAfb45.jpeg?1601404218

Winner & Method 79 votes

Khabib - Decision
    56% 45 votes
    Gaethje - Decision
    11% 9 votes
    Khabib - KO/TKO
    3% 3 votes
    Gaethje - KO/TKO
    1% 1 vote
    Khabib - Submission
    17% 14 votes
    Gaethje - Submission
    8% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Got excited about the time of day it's on. That excitement was quenched by the fact that it's PPV. As normal it'll be a Sunday morning watch after MOTD.

Will we finally see some wrestling from Justin????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Streaming it at 9.30pm.
    What a day. Ireland in rugby at 3.30pm. Utd vs Chelsea at 5.30. Liverpool at 8pm and 9.30 is Khabib. A few beers during lockdown won't be so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Streaming it at 9.30pm.
    What a day. Ireland in rugby at 3.30pm. Utd vs Chelsea at 5.30. Liverpool at 8pm and 9.30 is Khabib. A few beers during lockdown won't be so bad.

Good day alright. Barcelona vs Real Madrid at 3pm aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Am I only the only fool convinced Geathje wins ? Any chance of a poll ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I think gaethje wins too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

theteal wrote: »
    Got excited about the time of day it's on. That excitement was quenched by the fact that it's PPV...

Same.

It’d cost €10 on NowTV app for regular BT. Was definitely going to get it. Good price & easy.

In two minds now. PPV is €30 and bit more awkward too because I will have to buy on a different device to cast or connect by HDMI. Only £20 in the UK as well which is a nice paddy tax they’re charging.

I don’t see replays anywhere either. Be difficult to avoid the result anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Don't think this one will go to the championship rounds and we might see some wrestling from both fighters.
    Khabib for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

US2 wrote: »

Updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Not convinced but definitely has a chance. He was very good against Ferguson. Khabib’s toughest test yet I say.
    Khabib looks emotional after the loss of his father, understandably, and who knows how that will affect him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Absolutely no idea whats going to happen. I just hope Justin can stay on his feet long enough to throw a few. Khabib will do what he always does. Try tire him out to a decision or a sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Hope Khabib wins. Big fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Justin's demolition of Tony...can he replicate it against Khabib? I haven't a clue but it's going to be a great fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Winning the first round against Khabib would be huge for Gaethje

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I can't see this going any differently than any of Khabib's other fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

I know the narrative of "he's Khabib toughest fight to date" is spewed around a lot, but I genuinely think that this is.

None of Khabib's previous opponents have been able to efficiently fight the takedown and I feel that Gaethje's experience and background could prove tricky.

Expect Khabib to do exactly what he has done in all of his other fights.
    Hope that Justin knocks him out.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Same.

It’d cost €10 on NowTV app for regular BT. Was definitely going to get it. Good price & easy.

In two minds now. PPV is €30 and bit more awkward too because I will have to buy on a different device to cast or connect by HDMI. Only £20 in the UK as well which is a nice paddy tax they’re charging.

You can't buy it to stream as far as I know, only available to buy for BT supscribers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Is this available on now tv (have bt sports)? Or available on sky?

I know the narrative of "he's Khabib toughest fight to date" is spewed around a lot, but I genuinely think that this is.

None of Khabib's previous opponents have been able to efficiently fight the takedown and I feel that Gaethje's experience and background could prove tricky.

I thought that until I watched the first round of his fight with Brian Cobb.

I thought that until I watched the first round of his fight with Brian Cobb.

How many years ago is that ? Watch Khabib v Tibau

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭xtal191

Khabib to get cocky with his standup and get knocked out in second or third round

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Same.

I'm in the UK and I'm not paying £20 for it. I pay enough for BT Sport already. I can't do dodgy streams coz the quality bugs me but I'll find a recording of it somewhere afterwards. Not difficult to avoid the result imo, lockdown means it's not like someone will blurt it out in the pub before I get to see it.

How many years ago is that ? Watch Khabib v Tibau

It's a lot closer to his amateur wrestling peak. I've seen nothing to suggest he's improved that aspect of his game since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭hawaii501

xtal191 wrote: »
    Khabib to get cocky with his standup and get knocked out in second or third round

I actually think this has a chance but surely he won't do this.
    Hoping its Khabib time as usual!!

Looking forward to Whittaker against Cannonier too - I think Whittaker KO's him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'm hoping Gaethje can make a fight of it but over the years there's been too much talk about him having not a lot of interest in wrestling/grappling anymore. Have a feeling he'll be put on his back and be stuck there, ground out and maybe submitted late. Anyone know anything about his submission ability, defensive ability really.

I just want to see Khabib challenged, watching greatness is great but it needs to be challenged sometimes so hopefully Gaethje can provide some but I think it'll be more of the same from Khabib. 

But MMA has had plenty of greats look unbeatable until they get a whooping you don't see coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,459 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'd be so ****ing happy if Justin won. He's come a long way from his ufc debut and he's looked incredible the last few fights. Usually don't get excited for a Khabib hug fest but this could be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Someone went for Gaethje by submission. Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

asci3wvmqiidsdmi_1603269706.jpeg?tr=w-812,h-464
    You merely adopted the octagon,I was born in it, moulded by it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E83F0JF_h58

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Love watching both guys fight and like them both as well.

Khabib will do what he does. Relentless chain takedowns and try and control Justin on the ground and pound him into oblivion. If a submission opportunity presents itself if Justin gasses he will take it.

Justin will use distance and range to try and land his vicious leg kicks and punches. The key will be can he avoid some takedowns and when he gets taken down can he pop back up before getting damaged and tired or will the constant pressure be too much like it has been for everyone before him. Will his fabled wrestling be enough to give him confidence to go for his strikes without the fear of being controlled for the round.

The two top guys in the world both at the peak of their powers.

It’s the most exciting fight it’s possible for the UFC to make, literally cannot wait to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,459 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, we will finally get to see Justin's wrestling, he's definitely gonna be using it here. If it's as good as hear it is and he is able to avoid td/get up quick, we'll have a serious fight on our hands.

Advertisement