Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stormy Next Week ??

• 28-01-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭

Listened to the forecast this morning on radio and they said that it could become stormy from next Wednesday, anyone have any charts for next week. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ecmslp.168.png

yes. storm chase 2 could be on next week.
    it looks like the atlantic will be roaring back into life with a series of deep depressions coming close to us . normally the atlantic weakens at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭jprboy

MT seems to think there's a possibility of a windy spell next week. Below is taken from his daily forecast.
    Friday, 28 January, 2011

OUTLOOK ... Models are now trending towards a windy period later in the week, possibly reaching 50 mph or higher at times, with some further showery intervals as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Whats the chances of these depressions bringing in some mountain snow, say above 600m?
    I love going up in the drifts that a good storm can bring to the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Whats the chances of these depressions bringing in some mountain snow, say above 600m?
    I love going up in the drifts that a good storm can bring to the mountains.

a good chance. as at times the airflow will be from the north west bringing in colder air from the north atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

yes. storm chase 2 could be on next week.
    it looks like the atlantic will be roaring back into life with a series of deep depressions coming close to us . normally the atlantic weakens at this time of year.

Somebody mention a STORM CHASE?! ... :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Nothing to wet the appetite on the latest ECMWF at least. No real signal of any diffluent troughing developing in the medium term but who knows, maybe in the next few runs.

ECMWF chart at 144hrs:

145558.jpg

Area circled is an area that may need watching for potential storm development but that is just clutching at straws at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I think we all know by now that we're not going to see a repeat of the December freeze but I never thought I'd be happy to hear Gerry Murphy say
    "unsettled" "milder" next week! At this stage I'm just want that high to disappear and see some weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

looks similar to the direction hurricane charlie came in 1987 but its a long shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spare us! Hurricane Charlie wsn't even a hurrican or anything close by the time it hit us. Next Wednesday will be a bit blowy with high gusts on exposed coasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

mike65 wrote: »
    Spare us! Hurricane Charlie wsn't even a hurrican or anything close by the time it hit us. Next Wednesday will be a bit blowy with high gusts on exposed coasts.
    hahaha:D, mike I love your posts always:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Hi Folks,

Am I missing something? I understand it is due to turn windy and milder from Tuesday onwards. However, if you look at the GFS for next Thursday then Ireland looks pretty cold with the cold on the East Coast of the United States appearing to link up with the cold in Eastern Europe. Snow anyone?

gfs-1-132.png?6

Also if you look at the attached from the Icelandic Bureau of Meteorology (I think it is based on the ECM), you can see Ireland in very cold air with upper 850hPA temps of -10oc next Friday 4th February 2011

Surely this would bring snow ? Can one of the experts shed a light on this?

110129_0000_144.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Lol. It took less than 3 hrs for the storm thread to morph into another snow thread. I love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭GSF

derekon wrote: »
    However, if you look at the GFS for next Thursday then Ireland looks pretty cold with the cold on the East Coast of the United States appearing to link up with the cold in Eastern Europe.
    It doesnt look to be very cold in Eastern Europe at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

That ECM chart doesn't show -10 uppers, only around -6 to -7°C. The -10°C isotherm is the start of the 2nd shade of blue (north and southwest of Iceland).

There are still issues to be resolved with the setup upstream. The polar vortex moves into northeastern Canada as a rex block sets up in the western US. I think it'll be more like the end of the week and next weekend before we see any decent winds, as the jet strengthens coming off the american continent the second half of the week, setting the scene for a more southerly storm track.

Su Campu wrote: »
    That ECM chart doesn't show -10 uppers, only around -6 to -7°C. The -10°C isotherm is the start of the 2nd shade of blue (north and southwest of Iceland).

There are still issues to be resolved with the setup upstream. The polar vortex moves into northeastern Canada as a rex block sets up in the western US. I think it'll be more like the end of the week and next weekend before we see any decent winds, as the jet strengthens coming off the american continent the second half of the week, setting the scene for a more southerly storm track.

Thanks for the clarification Su Campu ; however the shades of blue and their corresponding upper temps are not very clear hence the confusion. However I get what you mean about the darker blues to the southwest of Iceland and how they relate to -10 uppers.

derekon wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification Su Campu ; however the shades of blue and their corresponding upper temps are not very clear hence the confusion. However I get what you mean about the darker blues to the southwest of Iceland and how they relate to -10 uppers.

The Meteogroup/ ECMWF charts use a slightly higher resolution (increments of 1.0c as oppossed to 5.0c) regarding 850 temps which you may or may not find useful.

North Atlantic Chart:

NAtlantic_2011012900_thgt850_144.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

gfs-1-114.png?12

-6 uppers over all of ireland for wednesday . . .

The Meteogroup/ ECMWF charts use a slightly higher resolution (increments of 1.0c as oppossed to 5.0c) regarding 850 temps which you may or may not find useful.

North Atlantic Chart:

NAtlantic_2011012900_thgt850_144.png

Hi, thanks for that . The shading is definitely better!

Tonight's ECMWF has a strong and blustery SW wind ahead of a cold front this coming Thursday and into Friday:

145797.JPG

Potential for coastal gales with strong winds overland but too far out to be certain yet.

Image source YR.NO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

whats the average rainfall for jan ? wheres best place to find out
    also historical data just wondering how my rain guage compares its got 118mm this moth so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

www.met.ie have rainfall records for recent years month by month

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Certainly looking quite windy for the end of this week, though nothing particularly "stormy"
    Friday evening probably the worst with winds of over 70km/h around the west and northwest coasts.
    Wind fri.png

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Thanks storm 10 for the early warning post :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement