Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Jorge : February 29th

• 27-02-2020 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭

This storm could have an impact on the south/west, and west coast

One to watch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭pauldry

weisses wrote: »
    This storm could have an impact on the south/west, and west coast

One to watch

Why Jorge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

It's a Spanish named storm

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dutchy

Sexy winds are Jorge.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Affecting the east coast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

It's a Spanish named storm

Seriously?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Affecting the east coast?

Met Eireann are getting in early with the warnings on this one. https://www.met.ie/warnings

Status Orange - Wind warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare and Kerry
    Some severe winds expected during Saturday associated with Storm Jorge (Hor-hay). Southwest quickly veering west and later northwest will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with gusts of 110 to 130km/h, possibly higher in very exposed areas with an elevated risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 06:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 03:00 Sunday 01/03/2020

Issued: 11:00 Thursday 27/02/2020

Wind warning for Donegal, Leitrim and Sligo
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Leitrim and Sligo

Some severe winds expected during Saturday associated with Storm Jorge (Hor-hay).
    Southwest quickly veering west and later northwest will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with gusts of 110 to 130km/h, possibly higher in very exposed areas with an elevated risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 12:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 03:00 Sunday 01/03/2020

Rainfall warning for Munster, Connacht and Donegal
    Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Munster, Connacht and Donegal

Rainfall accumulations of 20 to 30mm expected during Friday and Saturday generally but 40 to 50 mm in parts of Kerry, with a continuing risk of flooding due to already saturated ground and elevated river levels.

Valid: 00:01 Friday 28/02/2020 to 23:59 Saturday 29/02/2020

Wind warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford
    Status Yellow - Wind warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford

A band of very strong winds, associated with storm Jorge (Hor-hay) will extend across the country during Saturday morning and persist through the rest of the day and into the night.
    Southwest veering westerly winds of mean speeds 50 to 65km/h with gusts of 90 to 110km/h expected.

Valid: 09:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 03:00 Sunday 01/03/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Gonzo wrote: »
    Met Eireann are getting in early with the warnings on this one. https://www.met.ie/warnings

Status Orange - Wind warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare and Kerry
    Some severe winds expected during Saturday associated with Storm Jorge (Hor-hay). Southwest quickly veering west and later northwest will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with gusts of 110 to 130km/h, possibly higher in very exposed areas with an elevated risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 06:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 03:00 Sunday 01/03/2020

Wind warning for Donegal, Leitrim and Sligo
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Leitrim and Sligo

Some severe winds expected during Saturday associated with Storm Jorge (Hor-hay).
    Southwest quickly veering west and later northwest will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with gusts of 110 to 130km/h, possibly higher in very exposed areas with an elevated risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 12:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 03:00 Sunday 01/03/2020

Rainfall warning for Munster, Connacht and Donegal
    Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Munster, Connacht and Donegal

Rainfall accumulations of 20 to 30mm expected during Friday and Saturday generally but 40 to 50 mm in parts of Kerry, with a continuing risk of flooding due to already saturated ground and elevated river levels.

Valid: 00:01 Friday 28/02/2020 to 23:59 Saturday 29/02/2020

Wind warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford
    Status Yellow - Wind warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford

A band of very strong winds, associated with storm Jorge (Hor-hay) will extend across the country during Saturday morning and persist through the rest of the day and into the night.
    Southwest veering westerly winds of mean speeds 50 to 65km/h with gusts of 90 to 110km/h expected.

Valid: 09:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 03:00 Sunday 01/03/2020

Odd to go straight to a warning instead of an advisory this far out?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Odd to go straight to a warning instead if an advisory this far out?

Met Eireann must be feeling very confident about this one. I wasn't expecting any sort of warning till tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,933 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It would be nice to get a week without a storm, wouldn't it?

Odd to go straight to a warning instead if an advisory this far out?

Pre-empting the whinge merchants who are never satisfied with enough notice. Including those who still leave their vehicles on the Salthill prom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

Hope the viruses don't go the same way as these storms, up to a point you wouldn't hear about these now we have a different one every week.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Gonzo wrote: »
    Met Eireann must be feeling very confident about this one. I wasn't expecting any sort of warning till tomorrow.

They where quick with the warnings but not quick enough Naming it 😂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Getting fed up with all these storms

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

People of Ireland. Do not worry. The experts at the press have you covered:

Sicbceg.png

Unbelievable. Met Eireann issuing these coloured warnings must be a boon for these people.. and their advertisers.

New Moon

NIMAN wrote: »
    It would be nice to get a week without a storm, wouldn't it?

A weekEND you mean

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's only really the extreme northwest of Spain that will see anything of any severity on Saturday, and even at that, only up to 100-110 km/h in a small area. Seems a little ott to name it and give orange warnings for a cold front passing through.

503978.PNG

ukmo_nat_fax_2020022700_048.png

More of interest will be in our neck of the woods.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020022700_060.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Is it possible that more counties could be added to the orange warning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

It will be another non event. I am calling it now.

easypazz wrote: »

Should be storm Seoirse not flippin Jorge
    Its our storm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

About the Spanish concern, maybe being a weekend in Lent there would be more than a few people planning to go on that famous walking trail ? Is it called Compostela? Perhaps someone in the know on that could enlighten us. By northwest Spain standards it is going to be quite cold with this strong wind, but as stated by GL they get a lot of that being in that exposed position.

I was really getting ready for the Ellen angle, now this. After Humberto I suppose the law of averages means this will be Big Wind 2.0.

(please tabloids I am sort of having a laff there, but there are a lot of isobars on the 06z GFS, enough for everyone to have their own personal one.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

easypazz wrote: »

Tell that to the people with flooded property who are looking forward to more rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

It's only really the extreme northwest of Spain that will see anything of any severity on Saturday, and even at that, only up to 100-110 km/h in a small area. Seems a little ott to name it and give orange warnings for a cold front passing through.

Ye they are going mad over it on boards.es :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Skipping over letters there too we should be on F not J

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

I have no doubt someone has already answered. But I was looking at storm names the other day. And J was meant to be Storm Jan.

And another thing! What the heck happened to Storm Ellen, Gerda, Francis and Hugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Ellen was last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

Ellen was last weekend

I think weather has been so awful recently they have all merged into one for me.

R.F. wrote: »
    I have no doubt someone has already answered. But I was looking at storm names the other day. And J was meant to be Storm Jan.

And another thing! What the heck happened to Storm Ellen, Gerda, Francis and Hugh?

The Spanish and Portuguese use a different list than us, The UK, Netherlands and Denmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭endainoz

503978.PNG

ukmo_nat_fax_2020022700_048.png

More of interest will be in our neck of the woods.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020022700_060.png

I'm not so sure about this being overhyped, all models are agreeing on 110 + gusts for North Clare on Saturday from what I see. ICON has the usual overestimation but the rest of them are pretty consistent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

endainoz wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about this being overhyped, all models are agreeing on 110 + gusts for North Clare on Saturday from what I see. ICON has the usual overestimation but the rest of them are pretty consistent.

Magicseaweed is predicting 22ft waves in Lahinch on Saturday.
    Probably 16 would be more realistic.

Although at high tide Black Head could be a spectacular show of a swell hitting hard.

• Advertisement

endainoz wrote: »

I didn't mean it was hyped for us, only Spain.

Advertisement