Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adults living with their parents...

• 25-08-2012 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

This post may(/must?) have been done but sure....

As someone in their late 20's living with their ma (and 2 siblings of late 20's), it's driving me up the wall. Unemployed and for the time being, dependent on her for a roof over my head. I give rent, daily job seek, get up around 9,10, do odds and ends around the house that need done and pretty much keep a bit of a low profile. Yet this does not curtail the underlying tension and arguments that spark out of nowhere. She's regularly stubborn, irrational and reactive which leads to needless arguments. Are all Irish mammy's like this? She's in her mid 50's and her behaviour is getting petty and ridiculous. These bouts are a feature now, myself as the regular target. There is no talking, its very much a defiant 'my way or the high way' kinda tripe.

I'm curious as to how other folks well into their 20's and upwards are managing living with their parents. Do they find themselves caught up in regular needless disputes? Of course theres 2 sides to every coin and I am not claiming to be an angel but these particular sparked reactions are the hall marks of a unbearable, irrational, petulant child.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

keep your low profile and take up some voluntary work in the meantime if you can manage it or even a job blocker like FAS or jobbridge..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The idea of having to live in the family home again makes me feel ill. I get on with the folks really well, but that's mainly because I don't live with them. If I did, we'd all be killing each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

you need to leave Ireland, go to a country where there is work and get a job, your a big human now time to fly the nest and let mammy have a rest, it will do you the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

guitarzero wrote: »

As someone in their late 20's living with their ma (and 2 siblings of late 20's), it's driving me up the wall. Unemployed and for the time being, dependent on her for a roof over my head. I give rent, daily job seek, get up around 9,10, do odds and ends around the house that need done and pretty much keep a bit of a low profile. Yet this does not curtail the underlying tension and arguments that spark out of nowhere. She's regularly stubborn, irrational and reactive which leads to needless arguments. Are all Irish mammy's like this? She's in her mid 50's and her behaviour is getting petty and ridiculous. These bouts are a feature now, myself as the regular target. There is no talking, its very much a defiant 'my way or the high way' kinda tripe.

I'm curious as to how other folks well into their 20's and upwards are managing living with their parents. Do they find themselves caught up in regular needless disputes? Of course theres 2 sides to every coin and I am not claiming to be an angel but these particular sparked reactions are the hall marks of a unbearable, irrational, petulant child.

Has she always been like this or is it a more recent thing? Could she be maybe going through the 'change'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

you need to leave Ireland, go to a country where there is work and get a job, your a big human now time to fly the nest and let mammy have a rest, it will do you the world of good.

Last I checked the only place hiring is Australia, which brings with it all the other necessities i.e money. A few extra details would be handy...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Are all Irish mammy's like this?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Is the thread title not an oxymoron? Only kidding, I've experienced the same.

I guess the reality is she expected to have an empty house at this stage (regardless of how much she loves her children).

In the past we've had full blown arguments over hypothetical situations, then it's forgotten the next day.

Harpy wrote: »
    Has she always been like this or is it a more recent thing? Could she be maybe going through the 'change'?

This is the thing, it seems to be subtly progressive. It wasnt always like this, I cant tell if its circumstantial, biological or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

I know a lad in a very secure full time job thats still living at home and he's 30. Of all people that should be getting that reaction of their mother its this lad :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Last I checked the only place hiring is Australia, which brings with it all the other necessities i.e money. A few extra details would be handy...

someone help me out here, im at work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Harpy wrote: »

Don't underestimate how much validity there could be in this suggested explanation. Honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Menopause alert! Good luck op! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I'm 21 and moved back home with the mammy for a number of reasons, to save money for college and to help her with the bills, to keep her company, she hates living on her own. it's worked out grand. She can be fierce annoying but then I assume I can too, stay out of each others way most of the time, I'm usually in college or gone to friends houses, it at home I am usually in my domain, my bedroom and she is in hers the living room. If she starts doing her mammy thing I am very good at tuning her out.

Try to spend a good few hours outside of the house everyday, whether you go to friends houses or volunteer or whatever, if your gone for most of the day she can't whine at ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I haven't lived at home for nearly 3 years but every now and then i still get my crazy ole wan ringing me in a fit of rage looking for unpaid rent and to clean my room. I don't know how anyone could put up with that everyday.

Mammys be crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I moved home & only my dad lives here.

Mightn't see/speak to him for weeks on end.

cruais wrote: »
    Menopause alert! Good luck op! ;)

Hah', I'm well aware, 2 boxes of health food supplements beginning with 'meno..' lying about are a bit of a give away.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

I moved home & only my dad lives here.

Mightn't see/speak to him for weeks on end.

Do u live in a mansion? :D

maxfresh wrote: »
    Do u live in a mansion? :D

If a 3 bed semi is considered a mansion these days, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Tricky situation, guitarzero. It's becoming more common now as adults are forced to move home due to unemployment, I know a couple of people forced to rent their homes to pay the mortgage and moving home as a result.

If she's meonpausal try to keep out of the way as much as possible. Good luck with the job search, in the meantime try volunteering as previously suggested. Not only will it get you out of the house, but it will look better on a cv.

In the dim and distant past, only the first born son stayed in the parents house - he brought his wife to live there, all the others were pushed out as soon as possible.

Could history be about to repeat??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I think it's interesting how living with your parents is considered 'the norm' in a lot of Asian and African cultures, even after you're married-grandparents, parents, children living in the one house is very common. It's only really in 'western' countries that adults living at home is considered odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Is that you Sean jr.
    You ungrateful little bastard. PS Your older brother actually IS my favorite.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I read somewhere recently that as women get older their daughters become their best friends. They based this on the fact that middle aged/elderly women spend more time calling their daughters than anyone else.

I think it's more acceptable for a daughter to live at home. Not only do they get on better with their mothers, but let's face it, a guy living at home doesn't look great.

It's one thing if it's for economic reasons, but it's entirely another if it's a mammys boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I think it's interesting how living with your parents is considered 'the norm' in a lot of Asian and African cultures, even after you're married-grandparents, parents, children living in the one house is very common. It's only really in 'western' countries that adults living at home is considered odd.

This is very true. The Irish got a bit carried away with getting on the property ladder during the boom years. I did a thread similar to this a while back, only it was about men still living at home been a deal breaker for women. That can be a real issue.

One thing that has not been mentioned a whole lot is people who have nobody to rent or share an apartment with. Suppose a person in their late 20's is still living at home but wants to move out, only they have nobody else to live with. Apart from been very expensive to rent alone, it would also be quite lonely and I think some would rather live at home for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Grayson wrote: »
    I read somewhere recently that as women get older their daughters become their best friends. They based this on the fact that middle aged/elderly women spend more time calling their daughters than anyone else.

I think it's more acceptable for a daughter to live at home. Not only do they get on better with their mothers, but let's face it, a guy living at home doesn't look great.

I'm in my late 20's and there's no way I could go back and live with my mother. We do get on grand, but that's cause I only see her once a week or so.

My older sis sees her nearly every day, and all me mother does then is moan about me big sis on the phone to me, about how she's over there every day and then moans if she doesn't call to her.

The woman's an enigma wrapped up in a puzzle :rolleyes:

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    This is very true. The Irish got a bit carried away with getting on the property ladder during the boom years. I did a thread similar to this a while back, only it was about men still living at home been a deal breaker for women. That can be a real issue.

One thing that has not been mentioned a whole lot is people who have nobody to rent or share an apartment with. Suppose a person in their late 20's is still living at home but wants to move out, only they have nobody else to live with. Apart from been very expensive to rent alone, it would also be quite lonely and I think some would rather live at home for that reason.

A girl living with her parents wouldn't put me off at all.

Id rather a girl was living with her parents than with weird, unclean housemates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I and all my family have at different times over the years lived at home with the Parents and now Mother. Generally most of us only moved out when we went to live abroad for a time. But I remember at one point living with my Mother, and two of my sisters one of whom was married with two kids. Her husband wasn't with her. He was settling things in London. But we all came and went at different times.

I do think it depends on the personalities involved. We're all easy going as is my Mother. We would fight but never hold grudges.

Never had a real problem. I stayed longer than I wanted to but that was because I couldn't afford a place of my own for a long time.

The funny thing though was that just before I got married I was back living with my Mother for logistical reasons and after we came home from our honeymoon. I kissed goodbye to my new wife and went home to Mammy.:D My new wife went home to our house alone. I only visited my wife at weekends and days off for the next three months.

Sounds crazy but in fact there was a simple reason. We had moved out of Dublin to her home town but I hadn't found a job there at that point. I was going to quit anyway but then my company offered redundancies. The catch was that it would take a few months. So I was stuck there. It was worth it in the end even if it was a little frustrating. So technically I was living with my Mother in my forties while married!

That's pretty unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I'd sooner live out of my car before I'd move back in with mammy & daddy.
    They wouldn't be the easiest to get on with, have to know every detail of where you are, what you're doing, how just rang/ text the phone you own & pay for, stir frys or currys are "foreign" food so therefore shouldn't be trusted, having the odd glass of wine with dinner is a sure sign I'm a raging alcoholic, expensive clothes get discoloured & ruined because there's no point putting on a half load of their own clothes so they pick up a few of mine to get their money's worth out of the machine etc.
    For my sanity it's better that we live in seperate houses that are not near each other.

I get on very well with my parents, only moved out at 23, lived at home though college by choice. Still go home a lot weekends and nearly all my holidays and bank holidays etc are spent at home. After I finish the postgrad course I'm doing I'm actually looking forward to moving home for a while. I don't understand people not getting on with their parents if Im honest.

• Advertisement

I'd sooner live out of my car before I'd move back in with mammy & daddy.
    They wouldn't be the easiest to get on with, have to know every detail of where you are, what you're doing, how just rang/ text the phone you own & pay for, stir frys or currys are "foreign" food so therefore shouldn't be trusted, having the odd glass of wine with dinner is a sure sign I'm a raging alcoholic, expensive clothes get discoloured & ruined because there's no point putting on a half load of their own clothes so they pick up a few of mine to get their money's worth out of the machine etc.
    For my sanity it's better that we live in seperate houses that are not near each other.

You're so lucky. Even when I was a teenager I'd have to be missing for at least a week before anyone would notice.

Advertisement