Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Adults living with their parents...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Tony EH wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is saying that it's the "norm" or that they are comfortable about the reality of such situations. The vast majority of people would rather not live with their parents when they are in their late 20's and into their 30's. But the fact is that it is extremely difficult to make ends meet, with regards to ones future housing concerns, if you are out pissing away money of exorbitant renting costs.

You're saying it's hard to save for a deposit if you're paying out lots of rent. Yes, it is. That doesn't mean that anyone is 'forced' to live at home. Buying a house in Ireland is a choice. I don't own my own home and probably won't anytime in the next decade, especially if I stay here. Someone who is playing the poor me card because they think they're entitled to live at home for free for years on end so they can save for a deposit isn't getting much sympathy from me, sorry. It's a lifestyle choice.
    Again, I don't think anyone is saying that it's "impossible", but it is very difficult to do, for most, without help of some kind.

But it isn't. Almost everyone I know has been living out of home since they left college, with little or no financial help and those who stayed at home longer did so knowing they would benefit financially, not because they felt forced to.
    You, because of your unfortunately family situation, were forced to move out and go your own way. But that doesn't mean that others should be happy to follow in your footsteps. Moving out of a family home - one that runs with a certain amount of functionality - and into a crappy renting situation where one wastes a large bulk of their wages (which have been largely stagnant since 2008) will never be a superior move to staying in that family home and trying to save enough money to buy a place of your own.

What about being a functioning independent adult? Having to move out taught me life skills which have served me well in my personal and professional life. I could not even imagine the tiny, narrow, boring life I'd have had if I'd spent my formative adult years still eating Mammy's dinners and getting my washing done. Just look at how some of the adults living at home talk on this thread. They literally sound like children. I don't mean those who ended up back at home due to hard times, divorce, failed business, etc. I mean those who never moved out. Stunted development, IMO.
    It used to be easier and make more sense in my day, where you'd move into a rented house in your 20's, with a long term view to buying something more permanent later in life. But in the late 90's property prices were mangled into this nightmarish nonsense of unaffordable dreams and that hasn't really changed in the last 20 years, despite the crash. It's only been made worse, too, by leech landlords upping their rents, because they have a captive audience who cannot afford to buy their own place.

Sure, but times have changed and people need to adapt. Staying at home with the folks for a long time is one option but it is by no means the only option and there are plenty of us for whom it was never an option.
    None of the above should be happening and it's very damaging to society in serious ways, as we've seen with grown men and women in their 30's and 40's moving back home with their elderly parents, or never moving out in the first place.

As I said, in most cases (not accounting for edge cases such as moving back in temporarily when falling on hard times, or moving back in to care for ailing parents or the like), it is a choice.

I'm well aware of the challenges faced by this generation. I'm also well aware of how many people I know play the poor mouth while going out every single weekend, taxis home, new clothes from Topshop, Starbucks coffees every day. There's a girl in my office pushing 30 who must spend at least 500-600 euro a month on this stuff and claims she 'can't afford' to rent on her wages. Of course she can afford to. She just doesn't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Just look at how some of the adults living at home talk on this thread. They literally sound like children.

That must be the clincher.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

You're saying it's hard to save for a deposit if you're paying out lots of rent. Yes, it is. That doesn't mean that anyone is 'forced' to live at home. Buying a house in Ireland is a choice. I don't own my own home and probably won't anytime in the next decade, especially if I stay here. Someone who is playing the poor me card because they think they're entitled to live at home for free for years on end so they can save for a deposit isn't getting much sympathy from me, sorry. It's a lifestyle choice.

But it isn't. Almost everyone I know has been living out of home since they left college, with little or no financial help and those who stayed at home longer did so knowing they would benefit financially, not because they felt forced to.

What about being a functioning independent adult? Having to move out taught me life skills which have served me well in my personal and professional life. I could not even imagine the tiny, narrow, boring life I'd have had if I'd spent my formative adult years still eating Mammy's dinners and getting my washing done. Just look at how some of the adults living at home talk on this thread. They literally sound like children. I don't mean those who ended up back at home due to hard times, divorce, failed business, etc. I mean those who never moved out. Stunted development, IMO.

Sure, but times have changed and people need to adapt. Staying at home with the folks for a long time is one option but it is by no means the only option and there are plenty of us for whom it was never an option.

As I said, in most cases (not accounting for edge cases such as moving back in temporarily when falling on hard times, or moving back in to care for ailing parents or the like), it is a choice.

I'm well aware of the challenges faced by this generation. I'm also well aware of how many people I know play the poor mouth while going out every single weekend, taxis home, new clothes from Topshop, Starbucks coffees every day. There's a girl in my office pushing 30 who must spend at least 500-600 euro a month on this stuff and claims she 'can't afford' to rent on her wages. Of course she can afford to. She just doesn't want to.

I dont know why you have to be so aggressive, I understand why youre bitter, you worked very hard to get everything that you have and that is very commendable but shouting people down, assuming the worst of people and jumping to conclusions about people is a bit ott imo. Good for you on all you have achieved but please lose the holier than thou preachy attitude, youre no better than anyone else and you dont have all the answers or know everything. Everyones path and experiences are different and we all have our own struggles and problems that we have to deal with.
    People living at home arent always living rent free and dependent on their parents. I live at home but hand up money every week, buy my own food, wash my own clothes, come and go as I please, anything I own, I pay for.

Technically I could move out and try and rent somewhere but if I did that my quality of life would be massively reduced, I did it for years and thats why I moved back home, living on the bread line, not knowing where id get money for the next meal, unable to buy clothes or shoes even when badly needed, not being able to pay for medication or doctor visits, no social life what so ever, my mental health in a state because of the situation and then not being able to afford the adequate help for my mental health . - I could choose that life but why would I? Why would anyone? I dont think anyone's suggesting that its impossible to not move out of the family home, for allot of people, moving out of the family home will result in a terrible quality of life because most of their wage will go on rent.

You dont know if your work colleague is spending 600 euro of her wages on clothes, coffees, going out and taxi's and if she is, so what? That's her hard earned money and she can spend it as she likes, what difference does it make to your life? Sounds to me like she's enjoying herself and theres no shame in that.

Your attitude is very black and white, just because you had one experience doesnt mean everyone elses is the same.

• What about being a functioning independent adult? Having to move out taught me life skills which have served me well in my personal and professional life. I could not even imagine the tiny, narrow, boring life I'd have had if I'd spent my formative adult years still eating Mammy's dinners and getting my washing done. Just look at how some of the adults living at home talk on this thread. They literally sound like children. I don't mean those who ended up back at home due to hard times, divorce, failed business, etc. I mean those who never moved out. Stunted development, IMO.

I’d love know what this actually means “functioning adult” and “learning life skills” to me it generally come from someone who had to go through a lot of hardship to end up in a smiler or worse position that’s people who didn’t but think they are better because of it, well guess what they aren’t.

I can guaranteed you that people sitting in their own homes which they own, with healthy bank accounts don’t give a second thought that someone else thinks their development is stunted (because they lived at home longer) while struggling to pay rent and as far away from being able to buy their own place as you could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I’d love know what this actually means “functioning adult” and “learning life skills” to me it generally come from someone who had to go through a lot of hardship to end up in a smiler or worse position that’s people who didn’t but think they are better because of it, well guess what they aren’t.

I can guaranteed you that people sitting in their own homes which they own, with healthy bank accounts don’t give a second thought that someone else thinks their development is stunted (because they lived at home longer) while struggling to pay rent and as far away from being able to buy their own place as you could be.

Agreed. They wouldn't give a second thought to them and they certainly wouldn't be posting on threads on the internet defending themselves.

• Advertisement

I dont know why you have to be so aggressive, I understand why youre bitter, you worked very hard to get everything that you have and that is very commendable but shouting people down, assuming the worst of people and jumping to conclusions about people is a bit ott imo. Good for you on all you have achieved but please lose the holier than thou preachy attitude, youre no better than anyone else and you dont have all the answers or know everything. Everyones path and experiences are different and we all have our own struggles and problems that we have to deal with.
    People living at home arent always living rent free and dependent on their parents. I live at home but hand up money every week, buy my own food, wash my own clothes, come and go as I please, anything I own, I pay for.

I'm talking about those who don't pay their way and claim they can't. I don't believe for a second that the majority of people 'can't' pay their way.
    Technically I could move out and try and rent somewhere but if I did that my quality of life would be massively reduced, I did it for years and thats why I moved back home, living on the bread line, not knowing where id get money for the next meal, unable to buy clothes or shoes even when badly needed, not being able to pay for medication or doctor visits, no social life what so ever, my mental health in a state because of the situation and then not being able to afford the adequate help for my mental health . - I could choose that life but why would I? Why would anyone? I dont think anyone's suggesting that its impossible to not move out of the family home, for allot of people, moving out of the family home will result in a terrible quality of life because most of their wage will go on rent.

And this is my entire point. That's entirely your business and your choice, but all these people who reckon an adult of 30ish can't possibly move out without financial help are absolutely deluding themselves.

A 'terrible quality of life' is relative. No doubt there are low earners who genuinely do find it a terrible hardship to rent, but young professionals on 35-40k thinking they're on the poverty line because they can't afford to go out on Fridays AND Saturdays (meal out, pub drinks, club, taxi home)? Pull the other one.

I can't quite believe the absolute materialistic sh1te so many people my age choose to spend their money on. Acrylic nails, 150 euro haircuts, daily Starbucks, etc. and then they wonder why they 'can't afford' rent. Well, no sh1t.
    You dont know if your work colleague is spending 600 euro of her wages on clothes, coffees, going out and taxi's and if she is, so what? That's her hard earned money and she can spend it as she likes, what difference does it make to your life? Sounds to me like she's enjoying herself and theres no shame in that.

Your attitude is very black and white, just because you had one experience doesnt mean everyone elses is the same.

I do know, because she tells me. She can spend her money on whatever she likes, but I'm not going to put up with her 'poor me' whining about her Irish mammy being nosy and picking fights about cleaning up at home. I don't care if you think it's judgemental. I find it utterly pathetic for a grown adult with a decent job to be whining like a child about her parents because she refuses to grow up and move out and treats her salary like pocket money. She's spoiled and sheltered, full stop. A year of roughing it in a flatshare would likely do her the world of good, maybe she'd start appreciating the value of money, appreciating all her parents do for her, and experiencing the world.

Worse position? You really can't imagine a life beyond building a house next to Mammy and Daddy and Mammy still cooking your dinner and doing your washing? Fair play if that's your idea of success in life but it sure as fck isn't mine. It sounds like my worst nightmare.

Couldn't care less what you think. I'm giving my opinion. I never said adults should NEVER live at home, I said that in the vast majority of cases, adults who think they can't afford to move out without help are deluding themselves and the responses here have only served to cement that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Couldn't care less what you think. I'm giving my opinion. I never said adults should NEVER live at home, I said that in the vast majority of cases, adults who think they can't afford to move out without help are deluding themselves and the responses here have only served to cement that opinion.

I take your point, but you're putting everyone living at home in the same boat. Sure, your work colleague sounds like a chancer, but not everyone living with their parents are. There are people living with their parents who genuinely don't earn enough to rent. And I don't believe the 'vast majority' who live at home are abusing it and playing the poor mouth. Most genuinely have no choice, unless you consider barely being able to rent and eat as living.

You quoted young professionals on up to 40k. I've only recently started earning 30k, and there are hundreds of thousands out there on the same or less. It's management and overpaid positions are inflating the average income. I'd imagine the average, removing anyone on over 50k (management and up) would be closer to 20k, but we can't get those figures as all incomes are included regardless of position. In 2016 the 'average' income was over 46k... Average me balls.

I'm talking about those who don't pay their way and claim they can't. I don't believe for a second that the majority of people 'can't' pay their way.

And this is my entire point. That's entirely your business and your choice, but all these people who reckon an adult of 30ish can't possibly move out without financial help are absolutely deluding themselves.

A 'terrible quality of life' is relative. No doubt there are low earners who genuinely do find it a terrible hardship to rent, but young professionals on 35-40k thinking they're on the poverty line because they can't afford to go out on Fridays AND Saturdays (meal out, pub drinks, club, taxi home)? Pull the other one.

I can't quite believe the absolute materialistic sh1te so many people my age choose to spend their money on. Acrylic nails, 150 euro haircuts, daily Starbucks, etc. and then they wonder why they 'can't afford' rent. Well, no sh1t.

I do know, because she tells me. She can spend her money on whatever she likes, but I'm not going to put up with her 'poor me' whining about her Irish mammy being nosy and picking fights about cleaning up at home. I don't care if you think it's judgemental. I find it utterly pathetic for a grown adult with a decent job to be whining like a child about her parents because she refuses to grow up and move out and treats her salary like pocket money. She's spoiled and sheltered, full stop. A year of roughing it in a flatshare would likely do her the world of good, maybe she'd start appreciating the value of money, appreciating all her parents do for her, and experiencing the world.

I dont think anyone said that an adult cant possibly move out of home without help, I didnt read that anywhere.
    Generally people get help at a young age, particularly people starting out and it absolutly helps them to get on their feet earlier than those who dont have help, it also helps them get further than those who dont have the help, nowadays especially. I dont know how they could manage without it.
    When I was in my late teens/early twenties even places like Dublin where affordable and this is only 10/12 years ago. I had friends living in Dublin at the time in a house share, all of them working low wage jobs and had decent quality of life, went drinking and had the usual social life that young people have, thats just not possible anymore on a normal wage and job, unless youre willing to live in a box room with 5 other people.
    I was renting a room in a small town far from Dublin for 50 euro a week, that same room would cost me 500 a month now, thats more than the rent was for the entire flat 10 years ago and wages haven't changed since then, I know because I was working part time in Dunnes Stores on 10 euro an hour while studying in a further ed college and had no problem paying rent, buying food and having a social life. There is no way I would be able to do that now, I would be homeless or starved without help.

Allot of people in their 20's and 30's arent earning anything close to 35,000 a year, allot arent even earning 20,000 a year, if youre specifically talking about young people on high wages, that is a different scenario altogether, generally these people are moved out or living at home to save, I cant see why anyone who can afford to move out of their parents house would still be living with them? I dont know anyone like this unless theyre genuinely saving. If not, and their parents are happy to let them live there, what business is it of mine?

Why do you care what people spend their money on?
    Its nice to have nice things. God for bid someone enjoy themselves or the money they worked hard to earn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Just to put another angle on the discussion, I have 4 brothers and a sister. Like a lot of people nowadays, we all lived at home longer than we would have liked. In fact 2 of my brothers still live at home.
    However we all worked from the time we left school, or earlier in my case anyway. The auld one wasn't shy about taking 'rent' off us. To be fair to her, she took different amounts from each of us depending on what we earned. Roughly 20 - 25%.
    She was taking in so much that she was able to buy a holiday house in Wexford!

So there are some benefits at least to having adult children at home. Just for the sake of balancing the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Why do you care what people spend their money on?
    Its nice to have nice things. God for bid someone enjoy themselves or the money they worked hard to earn.
    Of course, but isn't Lainey talking about people who go broke from spending their money on those things and then complain about not getting mortgage approval?

I think it's a fair point when people argue against the assertion that the cost of living has gone up in comparison to the 80s. To be fair, it has in numerous ways, but also people are buying far far more stuff and willing to pay far more (e.g. for a hairstyle).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Of course, but isn't Lainey talking about people who spend their money on those things and then complain about not getting mortgage approval?

I think it's a fair point when people argue against the assertion that the cost of living has gone up in comparison to the 80s. To be fair, it has in numerous ways, but also people are buying far far more stuff and willing to pay far more (e.g. for a hairstyle).

Very true and I'd be guilty of saying things like "when I was growing up, one income could run the household", and it could, it did.... But now running my own household we could in theory live on one income but all the modern things that we can't seem to do without (to our pampered arsed shame)

Netflix
    Broadband
    Spotify
    Sky
    2 cars
    Occasional meals out
    Annual foreign holidays
    Mobile phones

... None essential at all, but nice to have, and things the one income in my house growing up wasn't paying for!

So we could mostly probably do financially better if we trimmed some of the luxuries we've come to expect as a standard. I'm going to have to reevaluate our spending because so much of it is gratuitous.

I take your point, but you're putting everyone living at home in the same boat. Sure, your work colleague sounds like a chancer, but not everyone living with their parents are. There are people living with their parents who genuinely don't earn enough to rent. And I don't believe the 'vast majority' who live at home are abusing it and playing the poor mouth. Most genuinely have no choice, unless you consider barely being able to rent and eat as living.

You quoted young professionals on up to 40k. I've only recently started earning 30k, and there are hundreds of thousands out there on the same or less. It's management and overpaid positions are inflating the average income. I'd imagine the average, removing anyone on over 50k (management and up) would be closer to 20k, but we can't get those figures as all incomes are included regardless of position. In 2016 the 'average' income was over 46k... Average me balls.

But in fairness, I never earned more than 27K at any point in my twenties (and often much less), and have been renting since I was 18. It can most definitely be done by all but the very lowest earners or those in very bad situations. That's my point. I houseshared with plenty of Poles and Romanians during my years renting rooms in Dublin and they were mostly on minimum wage. You can bet they weren't spending money on twice-weekly takeaways, fancy haircuts or manicures but none of them were ever late with the rent.

Of course, but isn't Lainey talking about people who go broke from spending their money on those things and then complain about not getting mortgage approval?

No just since the 80's, the cost of living has risen in the last 5, 10 and 15 years.

Youre talking about an entirely different situation, a minority of people on a good wage who live at home and spend spend spend. Tbh I dont know anyone who lives like that while trying to get a mortgage. Im sure they exist but I haven't met any.

As for spending more money, again how do you know that? People in the 80's, 90's and 2000's liked to spend money too, the difference is the cost of things is now higher than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago.

Like my parents had two cars a mortgage on a town house, two kids, my mother smoked constantly as did my father who was a drinker and gambler, my mother spent money on clothes and getting her hair done. My father was a factory worker, my mother worked part time in a shop.

Im a substitute teacher, my hours change weekly, I can work anything from 2 - 6 hours, occasionally ill get a full week of work, I still earn more than my parents did. I cant afford a car, I cant afford to pay rent,
    During the week my money goes on groceries, money given to my parents, driving lessons, a small portion goes into savings, the rest will go on one day of socializing.

Monthly I pay for my own internet (which I need for work), netflix and gym - all in all this costs about 52 euro a month.
    I get my hair cut every two months costing me 35 euro.

Even if I cut out the little luxuries of gym, netflix and a night with friends, I still couldnt afford to pay rent.

Who is paying 150 for a hairstyle? Sorry but even when I was earning allot more and decided to treat myself to a good hair colour with balyage and highlights, cut and treatment it cost me like 120 and that was an expensive place and wouldnt be a regular thing, it was a once off.

It really sounds like youre putting everyone who lives at home in the same box and assuming that the majority of those who do live at home are living as dependents which is not the case. Id be mortified if my mother was washing my clothes and cooking my dinners.
    The very odd time she will cook a dinner and put a bit on for me but equally I have done the same for my parents and regularly cook meals for the family as im sure most adults living at home do.
    TBH id much rather house share with my family than with strangers who live in their rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

Mad rant here lads. It's since the collapse this thread started. All things been equal everyone will start out on their own. Kids are being forced to live with parents because it's absolutely impossible to strike out on their own. I'm a parent who has kids stuck at home. We know who's to blame for this, exercise your vote or shut the **** up. I had the opportunity to get my own house and life. My kids with a much better education than I had will struggle. This thread isn't a discussion. It's bull****.

No just since the 80's, the cost of living has risen in the last 5, 10 and 15 years.

Youre talking about an entirely different situation, a minority of people on a good wage who live at home and spend spend spend. Tbh I dont know anyone who lives like that while trying to get a mortgage. Im sure they exist but I haven't met any.

As for spending more money, again how do you know that? People in the 80's, 90's and 2000's liked to spend money too, the difference is the cost of things is now higher than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago.

Like my parents had two cars a mortgage on a town house, two kids, my mother smoked constantly as did my father who was a drinker and gambler, my mother spent money on clothes and getting her hair done. My father was a factory worker, my mother worked part time in a shop.

Im a substitute teacher, my hours change weekly, I can work anything from 2 - 6 hours, occasionally ill get a full week of work, I still earn more than my parents did. I cant afford a car, I cant afford to pay rent,
    During the week my money goes on groceries, money given to my parents, driving lessons, a small portion goes into savings, the rest will go on one day of socializing.

Monthly I pay for my own internet (which I need for work), netflix and gym - all in all this costs about 52 euro a month.
    I get my hair cut every two months costing me 35 euro.

Even if I cut out the little luxuries of gym, netflix and a night with friends, I still couldnt afford to pay rent.

Who is paying 150 for a hairstyle? Sorry but even when I was earning allot more and decided to treat myself to a good hair colour with balyage and highlights, cut and treatment it cost me like 120 and that was an expensive place and wouldnt be a regular thing, it was a once off.

It really sounds like youre putting everyone who lives at home in the same box and assuming that the majority of those who do live at home are living as dependents which is not the case. Id be mortified if my mother was washing my clothes and cooking my dinners.
    The very odd time she will cook a dinner and put a bit on for me but equally I have done the same for my parents and regularly cook meals for the family as im sure most adults living at home do.
    TBH id much rather house share with my family than with strangers who live in their rooms.
    Me? Don't know how you'd deduce that from just one post. I don't see anything wrong at all with adults living in their parents' house once they contribute to the running of the household, financially and otherwise. I think it makes sense a lot of the time.

I just see Lainey's point about people saying they're broke and can't save from spending money on a lot of non essential things, on a regular basis. Your experience regarding an expensive hair do doesn't demonstrate anything in relation to other people.

emo72 wrote: »
    Mad rant here lads. It's since the collapse this thread started. All things been equal everyone will start out on their own. Kids are being forced to live with parents because it's absolutely impossible to strike out on their own. I'm a parent who has kids stuck at home. We know who's to blame for this, exercise your vote or shut the **** up. I had the opportunity to get my own house and life. My kids with a much better education than I had will struggle. This thread isn't a discussion. It's bull****.
    Huh? All I see is "shut up" - you don't get to tell people to shut up. Yes it is a discussion. And people did exercise their vote - what has that achieved? Bizarre.

But do you think it's ok for people to house share into their 30's? I agree people in their early 20's at least should be house sharing, if not just for the experience, but to give an initial overview of how your money just disappears. But into their 30's, would it not be ok for people in their 30's to want a place of their own? Most who do are in relationships, with kids, mortgage, etc, but what about the single people? Should they continue to house share just because they're single? Are they not entitled to their own place at some stage? I think so.

Then, using the recent Minimum Essential Standards of Living guide, without including rent or childcare is €290.89 (single adult living alone, 2A*). The national average for rent is now €1,391 p/m, or €347 p/w. Add the two for the MESL and rent, it's €638.64 net, which requires a wage of €43k gross. Suddenly, those on less than that wage (on average) are having a reduced quality of life, or essentially not meeting MESL due to rent being so high, so a lower quality of life than what is minimally expected. All using Deloitte budget calculator with no additional changes and rural living, urban has a lower MESL limit, but rent would be far higher.

And yes, I know that rent average is not what single people would most likely be paying, but that's the average of what a single person would likely be facing to have a place of their own, in their 30's. I'm 13k below that figure... Even if we dropped the rent down to 150 p/w, the total for rent and MESL is €440.89, and requires a gross of €26000 a year. Doesn't leave much wiggle room, in case of an emergency, or a major repair for a car. Saving €11 a week won't get you very far. Transpost costs for a single adult living rural is €56 a week, that's just my diesel, let alone anything else the car needs. And €8.66pw on 'personal costs', whatever that is.

Anyway, point is, even on moderate wages, it would be a struggle for a single person in their 30s to live alone, and living with the parents would make far more sense and allow time to save. But I do agree that those who live at home and play the poor mouth while splashing the income on unnecessary items are not to be included in this discussion, as they are literally adult children.

Of course those in their 30s want their own place. Sucks having to house share by that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Of course those in their 30s want their own place. Sucks having to house share by that stage.

Think of all the wonderful characters you can meet.

• Advertisement

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Think of all the wonderful characters you can meet.

I can only think of the stress of living with other people!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

Huh? All I see is "shut up" - you don't get to tell people to shut up. Yes it is a discussion. And people did exercise their vote - what has that achieved? Bizarre.

I didn't create the situation. Just living with the result of it. The kids did nothing wrong either. I don't know what your problem is either. Are you happy the way things are? I'm not telling anyone to shut up. Just stating the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You're saying it's hard to save for a deposit if you're paying out lots of rent. Yes, it is. That doesn't mean that anyone is 'forced' to live at home. Buying a house in Ireland is a choice.

Of course, but it's a choice that takes a lot of forward planning and most of all saving, which is extremely difficult to do when one is pissing all those savings up the wall on extortionate rent.
    I don't own my own home and probably won't anytime in the next decade, especially if I stay here. Someone who is playing the poor me card because they think they're entitled to live at home for free for years on end so they can save for a deposit isn't getting much sympathy from me, sorry. It's a lifestyle choice.

It's a "choice" that's generally forced upon someone these days, because the basic cost of living is so high. Years ago, you could move out and save for a mortgage, but this is becoming much harder to do and in many cases, exceedingly difficult, thus necessitating the need to retreat to the family home or just wait until later to make the move.

There are few adults that still want to be in their parents house out of a fully agreeable choice they've made. That choice is usually one that's taken because the alternative isn't the best option.

Of course. But that's still something that's forced upon them, in relative terms,, due to the costs of living being so artificially high. Simply put, it makes far more sense to stay in the family home and save the money you'd be wasting on rent and put it towards a deposit on a flat or house. Otherwise, it only ends up taking much, much longer to do that saving, because renting in this country is little more than a farce.
    What about being a functioning independent adult?

Adults function differently and have to take societal restrictions into account. There is no one size fits all approach here. When I was younger, it was very possible to move out, like I did in my 20's, rent a place and save some money towards a home one day. Because renting in Ireland is not something that you can do long term, with any kind of comfort. Our renting situation is a joke, unlike certain countries on the continent.

Over the years, this has become extremely difficult to achieve because the costs of everything have gone through the roof, with house costs and rents being the most egregious examples and if that wasn't the case, you see far less adults living at home with their OAP parents.

Some people can't just readily "adapt", due to the ridiculous costs of everything these days, that's the problem. Their finances don't allow that adaptation and therefore they find themselves in a situation that essentially forces their hand, and it's one which I'd bet they find to be the lesser of to evils.

Are their some who are out there just riding a wave? Sure there are. But I wouldn't make the mistake of assigning that attitude to the vast majority of people.

Everything is a choice. But that doesn't mean that those choices are taken lightly or that there is actually a good option either. In many cases people are taking the least worst option.

As for "edge cases", they are becoming more and more common, again due to the high costs of living in this country <- which is the real problem here.

In fact, I know more people who have had to move back home because a piece of their "life puzzle" went awry, than people who've never moved out in the first place. We live in a country where one thing, such as a breakup, business difficulties, or losing a job, can dump you back to square one.

Sure. She's developing her own narrative to suit herself. But, I wouldn't damn the many because of the sins of the few.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Just because someone is living at home to save for a house doesn't mean they are playing the "poor me" card. Plenty of people are just doing it in order to be able to save and buy their own home quicker. OH and I will be paying reduced rent to my parents. We will pay them 800 per month. Separately, I and my sibling pay their mortgage as we have done for years. Leaves OH and I in a position to save 1800 per month for the next year and a half. Nobody doing the poor mouth here - If anything I'm feckin delighted :pac: I have this 18 month window to get ahead and get ourselves out of an unsteady rental market where we might be tossed out in a year with a young child because the landlord "needs to do renovations".

I fully agree with you that living at home is a choice. For me, it is a choice I made with my longer term home-ownership goals in mind, and a sensible one. If other people want to cripple themselves paying private rent on principle and moan about people like me who "are not functioning" then I suppose that is really their business, and none of my concern. I've lived independently, studied, worked (often at the same time) and supported my parents for years. I have no doubts as to my ability to function as an adult. Staying at home doesn't make you a child, any more than moving away makes you an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Antares35 wrote: »
    OH and I will be paying reduced rent to my parents. We will pay them 800 per month.

I'm paying that per month for a 5 bedroom in County Galway. Are you in Dublin?

Dublin is bonkers

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I'm paying that per month for a 5 bedroom in County Galway. Are you in Dublin?

Dublin is bonkers

How did you guess :D Yes we are. Planning to buy in Kildare though - you can get a really nice 3 or 4 bed for 300k. There's no way I am shackling myself to a mortgage for half a million euro for the next thirty odd years so I can have the privilege of living in a 3 bed semi somewhere in Dublin. To hell with that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

each to their own, i love my parents, get on great with them, but couldnt spend any more than a couple of nights with them.

I went away to school at 13 and was only home at weekends, went away to university and was home less and then started working post university away from home and rented my own place.

I was fortunate in the my folks covered my rent while in university but once i left university i paid my own way.

with my own kids now i would love for them to go away to university and have that experience of freedom and growing up, its a little less likely as we live in Dublin now but id support them going elsewhere for university.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Cyrus wrote: »
    went away to university and was home less and then started working post university away from home and rented my own place.

I think this is a big thing - a lot of people from the country go to College in Dublin and live away from home whereas most Dublin students will continue to live at home during University.

It becomes a comfortable existence for them and there's no real push for them to get out and stand on their own feet.

I'm sure they have all the excuses and justifications made to themselves, but it's funny how so many people from outside of Dublin are able to manage paying rent while saving a deposit.

As a parent myself, I'd certainly be encouraging my own children to fly the coop when the time comes, it's an important part of developing and maturing as a person in my view.

I think this is a big thing - a lot of people from the country go to College in Dublin and live away from home whereas most Dublin students will continue to live at home during University.

It becomes a comfortable existence for them and there's no real push for them to get out and stand on their own feet.

I'm sure they have all the excuses and justifications made to themselves, but it's funny how so many people from outside of Dublin are able to manage paying rent while saving a deposit.

As a parent myself, I'd certainly be encouraging my own children to fly the coop when the time comes, it's an important part of developing and maturing as a person in my view.

Perhaps because it's cheaper to rent and buy a house outside Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Antares35 wrote: »
    Perhaps because it's cheaper to rent and buy a house outside Dublin?

They're renting and buying in Dublin - that's where most of the jobs are.

Living at home with Mammy and Daddy isn't a practical option for them, yet they can still manage it.

Advertisement