Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are the perfect conditions for a thunderstorm?

Options
  • 23-07-2018 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭

We have all had a pretty good summer on the whole up to now in Ireland I think we can agree ... but when was the last time we had a good thunderstorm with lightning and a thunderstorm that lasts for at least 5 minutes ... not just one or 2 rumbles of thunder and then finished?

The weather has been humid , there has been plenty of sun the heat has been there - but I think I recall just one or 2 rumbles of thunder in june I think it was, even then i didnt see any lightning I dont think.

Why are we not getting thunderstorms with this hot humid weather like other countries do in this kind of weather? and what are the perfect conditions for a thunderstorm and does anyone know if there is anything on the radar for a pretty decent lightning storm in the near future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Last fantastic thunderstorm was May 27th

C967_C4_C9_5_BBA_4_AB8_9_FB0_2_AB56979_D9_B4.pngI

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

we didnt get it in Sligo as far as I can recall...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Yep I was in Donegal that weekend annoyingly and didn't see or hear a thing, haven't heard a single rumble of thunder in 14 months now.

The perfect conditions for us generally would be a deep north/south kink in the jet stream drawing hot humid air from Iberia with a wave developing as cold air from the Atlantic digs in behind it in the Bay of Biscay. Very rare that we get that setup, the plume usually heads for Northern France and Benelux or occasionally the UK.

Conveniently tonights GFS has thrown up a perfect example of what to look out for on the models.

Red arrow shows hot air being dragged north with low pressure in the Atlantic pushing in cold air. Th cold air undercuts the plume forcing it to rise violently and leads to spectacular thunderstorms across the country :cool:

Sadly it'll likely be gone by the morning..

gfs_0_276.png

Advertisement