Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

' I don't do Valentines'

• 13-02-2020 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭

So I've just been told this by the lad I'm seeing, turns out the last lad I was seeing a few years ago also 'didn't do Valentine's' either.
    I've never had a Valentine's, so just wondering how common is this?

I work in retail and know that all our stuff is sold by the time the day comes around, so someone does it :-D

So do ye fine people of AH do Valentines or do I just get bogeys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

deise08 wrote: »
    So I've just been told this by the lad I'm seeing, turns out the last lad I was seeing a few years ago also 'didn't do Valentine's' either.

I work in retail and know that all our stuff is sold by the time the day comes around, so someone does it :-D

Men typically dont care for it, sorry :) because it's seen as men making the effort and women getting the spoils.

You could causually remind him of steak-and-blowjob-day with a wink and a hint and see if that's gets him to put in the effort.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Female, I don't care for it and have never celebrated it. None of my friends celebrate it either, male or female.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

I don't! (Female, in a relationship).Maybe a card but I insist on no presents. Christmas and birthdays are enough to be going on with...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Load of me bollox Hallmark card day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Some years yes and some years no. I think this year I'll get her a voucher for nails or hair or something.
    Don't expect anything because I usually hate presents

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

its a hallmark day so I dont participate :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

What exactly are you expecting from him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I’m so adept at not doing Valentine’s Day that I didn’t even notice it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

When you're in a long term relationship where sex gets less and less frequent, Valentines is a bit of a god-send.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Big hookey load of bolox of a day but I still get the head taken off me if I don't get something :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

When I was younger with flings and at the start of my relationship now we did it but once we got comfortable and honest with each other, we both admitted we thought it was bullsh!t. When I saw this thread I thought it was Valentine's Day today! It is unlikely my husband will remember the date either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

?

Probably just hasn't mastered the art of bi-location yet. Can't "do" the wife and the girlfriend together...unfortunately;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

its a load of bollix

being upset at a lad for not buying a token card is a sure sign of crazy for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Watching the telly and all the talk shows are promoting all female products, shampoos perfumes etc. A day that's totally female orientated and women buy into it and expect something and feel disappointed when he turns up with his lad in his hand and a shìtty card

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I don’t care too much about it but I’d never turn up “empty handed” for it.

I mean, I’m not too into “celebrating” my birthday but I still get presents for others.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

You should have gotten yourself something while you had the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I've been told that I am doing this year and that I have to buy flowers.

In exchange my girlfriend is cooking us t-bone steaks for dinner so that's a win-win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Wait till you get told about "Galentine's Day" yes.... Valentine's with a "G"

My twin girls came home from a club they are in recently talking about Galentine's, we thought they were mispronunciating valentine's .... Turns out we were wrong !!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Never have, never will. A load of nonsense. Closest I have come is a card. If you cannot make your partner feel loved the rest of the year, then what is the point on this one day.

Best mate is a chef and has told me a lot of places pre cook the food and up the prices for it. Used to go out for dinners most weeks with exes so no point paying more for worse food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

What exactly are you expecting from him?

Nothing now :-D:-D
    He didn't do Christmas either cos we were newly dating. I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Myself and the OH don't really acknowledge it. Not into being rushed in and out of a busy restaurant, possibly inflated prices (especially flowers), and the gifts that "express love" (which are usually pretty stereotypical and require little thought or effort aside from getting to the shops in time).

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

A few signs there of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

The username and last line are a giveaway, lots of bogeys in Blaa. Its a bit of a cringey day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I bet I can guess what you're getting for your birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Me and my wife used to go out for a meal on Valentines, but we got many disappointing expensive meals, so we stopped going out for it.

However, we do spend it together at home enjoying each others company, watching stuff on TV, I cook a lovely meal, and I'll generally buy something small like chocolates for her, but she doesn't for me, nor do I want her to.. we share the ones I buy.

So yeah we celebrate it, but on a small, private, not expensive scale at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Why should there be a set day to show affection? It should be shown every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Wait till you get told about "Galentine's Day" yes.... Valentine's with a "G"
    An even bigger load of bollocks than Valentine's.. Though it has been around years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I've always given a card which I'll have to buy today.

He might buy fancy chocolates which he and the kids will eat 80-90 % of :)

I remember years ago going out for dinner... The most uncomfortable dinner ever... The restaurant, a nice one, obviously had arranged all the tables in twos, with the minimum gap between them. I'm a size 6-8 and still struggled to squeeze through. The whole effect was of a medieval long table.... I was as much in the conversation with the couples beside me as I was with the boyfriend.... Never again.

I'd rather pick up a marks and spencer deal meal and eat in my pj's

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭claregal1

We are not doing anything this year as cash is a bit tight . However I am cooking a nice steak dinner Saturday night for him and he will get in the booze .
    I'm not a big fan of Valentine's day myself , think it can be over rated to be honest and a money gimmick with flowers etc . Himself would often bring me home flowers from Moore Street on a Friday evening max cost 10 euros and I appreciate those flowers more than overpriced interflora roses for Valentines .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭claregal1

Ficheall wrote: »
    An even bigger load of bollocks than Valentine's.. Though it has been around years.

Whats Galentines day ?

Edit- just googled it ... oh lord!

Advertisement