Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

derra wrote: »
    What price would ya put on it?
    I wouldn't have a clue to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

I had often wondered if i would ever see my car on this thread and then i saw it a while back a couple of times.
    It's a 1.3 Toyota Cynos Juno, el52 engine and it's a 4 speed manual.
    It's my first and only car, i was 30 when i had bought it in October 2007.

Of course, most would think ' i wouldn't be caught dead in that' :D

this makes me smile :) Cynos' were a rare enough sight when newish, even rarer these days, so if you can, keep her rolling. Or as suggested by others, move it on to someone who will.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I had often wondered if i would ever see my car on this thread and then i saw it a while back a couple of times.
    It's a 1.3 Toyota Cynos Juno, el52 engine and it's a 4 speed manual.
    It's my first and only car, i was 30 when i had bought it in October 2007.

I said it be fine for a year or two but it ran and still does run so smooth, well for me anyway as i never really drove any others to know much difference.
    I got the timing belt done at 121000km and clutch done around 2013.
    I never got any pre-NCT tests done, i just let it go through and see what happened.
    Twice i had to get a re-test which was for lights alignment and driver side shock.
    It passed the NCT again in November.

Looking at some NCT certs, when i bought it in 2007 there was with 78574 km on the clock, in 2011 there was 98577 km,
    in 2015 there was 126559 km on the clock and now it's at 140965 km so it really
    only ever has been a runaround. There are some bad scuff marks on it and work that needs to be done to make it look good that i never got around to because i had kept telling myself to change it soon but i just couldn't as it drives like a dream! Of course, most would think ' i wouldn't be caught dead in that' :D

Anyway i had just wanted to put some context on one of the cars that has been posted on the thread. I doubt there be many left of them on the road at the moment.
    As usual i have left everything to the last minute when knowing quite well the last while i was gonna be changing car this time around to something more comfortable as a carer for someone close but that's another story on what to get next.

I would of kept it till the end of the NCT this year but have to change it.

So i will probably get this crowd: https://www.cartakeback.ie/ to take it away but just seems a shame as it runs so good. Any other options what to do with it?!
    What price would ya put on it?

Lovely car to drive and wish i had my mine in top condition like that but insurance is crazy on it now and Axa are the only ones that would quote me.

They offered something like €50, then a few days later they offered €64.

At this stage now, it would need 4 new tyres. A bit of life in them but i would get 4 new ones if i was to keep it.
    Bodywork needs attention , bad scuffs on bumper , some paint peeling on bonnet, bit of rust showing on the body over a tyre, aerial snapped off long time ago, door handle is cracked, boot opens from inside as the badge is glued onto the boot door after that broke off so it be a labour of love.

It drives fine so anything else that would need to be done is not something i know about. It never broke down once on me since i had it. Never any leaks.

I'd probably be in tears watching it getting smashed up :D

Janeymac! You'd be mad to just get rid to those sorts of cowboys!

I'd gladly take it off ya. My 97 Corolla has given up the ghost (well, not technicaly, but I haven't the inclination to get a new starter this side of Easter)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Thanks for the replies and PM's.

There is a bit of interest there so i will try avoid Donedeal if i can.

Was talking to a couple locals in the trade too about a reasonable value on it bearing in mind there is also 3 months tax on it too as well as till November on the NCT.

So it be best now to let this thread get back on track and thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Lanesbrough co Longford
    AvzGCi7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

95 A6 2.8l Quatro in Tuam

bXhcSxch.jpg

Nt1zos8h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Ohhh that’s tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I looked after an estate version of one of them with low milage for a year,. Gave it a run once a month. When the owner came home he sold it to a gobsh1te who buried it in a wall a few weeks later. Sorry I didn't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

A regular spot in Celbridge.
    470211.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

20190105_155424_zps9eotglnm.jpg

20190105_155346_zpslf8b660i.jpg

Thought it was abandoned at first... but it's fully road legal with 250k miles up !

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Cavan town tonight. Owner was telling me he has it 25 years this month!
    Sorry for the poor photo.

rSE6l1w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

homer90 wrote: »
    20190105_155424_zps9eotglnm.jpg

20190105_155346_zpslf8b660i.jpg

Thought it was abandoned at first... but it's fully road legal with 250k miles up !

:cool:

Where? I'd love the wheel trims, tow bar and roof rails off that. Someone keep sketch!

Not too many of these around.

Clarehall:

45997943874_60a0bc2809_c.jpg

45997943774_a7288b9341_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Nice left hand drive 5 series in Cavan town today.
    Looks like a daily driver.
    Nothing on the back to tell engine size..

ki6ZTwp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Tin Lizzy

Where? I'd love the wheel trims, tow bar and roof rails off that. Someone keep sketch!

I think I've 2 of those wheel trims and a carina ii saloon towbar here. Based in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Cork

better looking than any 2019 Ford. And that's a fact.

20190114-132340.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Cork

better looking than any 2019 Ford. And that's a fact.

Mmm, if the GT didn't exist :D

Tin Lizzy wrote: »
    I think I've 2 of those wheel trims and a carina ii saloon towbar here. Based in Donegal.

I'll be in touch tomorrow 👍

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Nice left hand drive 5 series in Cavan town today.
    Looks like a daily driver.
    Nothing on the back to tell engine size..

ki6ZTwp.jpg

BMW 524. 2443cc TD. According to Cartell.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

That 5er could clean up very nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

1983 daily driver .. because 56 euro in motor tax is about right for these horrible roads...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

Greystones/Sandymount over the weekend.

the Beetle was in fantastic condition.

Combination of spots around Dublin :

20190116-184659.jpg

20190116-184458.jpg

20190116-184440.jpg

20190116-184403.jpg

20190116-184316.jpg

This is an unusual one. A 99 fully fitted out English registered Dennis in Glasnevin:

20190116-184241.jpg

Is that an NIFS badge on the side of it?

Good old nuns Starlet! Looks like St Columba's in Glasnevin

Is that an NIFS badge on the side of it?

Dunno. If it's there tomorrow I'll get a shot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

This has stood the test of time well.
    Spotted in Limerick

Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

PN14 wrote: »
    This has stood the test of time well.
    Spotted in Limerick

That car could pass for something in the mid 90's, or even more recent, given how good a Condition it's in.

• Advertisement

The last old style Limerick number issued before the 87 system came in was OIV 200 afaik, so that Corolla is a bit off the mark, but still among the last of the cars registered in Limerick under the old system which had been in place since 1903. Great spot!

Advertisement